Paint Reviews

Need some advice, got a good weathering tip, discovered some great paints or tools?

Re: Paint Reviews

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19

Further to my comments above re: Maskol, the more I read, the more I come to understand how lucky I've been over a long period of time using the stuff. Numerous sources reckon only use it when painting with enamels, yet I've got away with acrylics throughout. Just as many sources warn against leaving the stuff on for more than the specified 3-day maximum. Again, had it on models for ... eh ... months (particularly a couple of birds on the Shelf of Shame) and it came off, albeit with a bit of prying around with a modelling knife. A number of correspondents suggest Vallejo's Liquid Mask as a much better alternative as it doesn't contain ammonia and it is acrylic-friendly.

So, apart from the paint stripping on the now-deceased Tarpon (read FAA Avenger), where else has Maskol backfired for me? Add today's little disaster. I recently picked up a diecast Amercom Do17Z from the local newsagent as a part of the Giant Warplane magazine series. Removed the canopy, filled all the holes and cracks with putty, then Maskoled the front transparency which would not budge. Sprayed the beast with Tamiya primer, repainted it with Lifecolor and Tamiya acrylics to simulate a Finnish Do17Z-3, then ... um ... fell ill and spent most of last week in hospital again. Well today, with only decals needed, I stripped the Maskol off the transparency only to find the bloody thing had misted up worse than our bathroom mirror in winter. Admittedly, the Maskol had been there for around 10 days thanks to my little sojourn adorned with catheters, but I never expected this. After all, I'd used Maskol extensively on innumerable completions to protect the clear bits during application of matt clear coats without issue. And that included several diecasts where the manufacturer's finish was way too shiny for my liking.

I hear Merlin again ... Maskol bad, very, very, bad. Yep, you may have something there ... :cry:

Postscript: If I want to rectify the issue, my only recourse is to use a razor saw to carefully remove the fogged part, then replace it with a Peter's Planes' vacformed transparency. Let me ponder on this.
OTB ...
Group Builds - GAF Canberra Mk 20 (GB7; 2 Sqn RAAF), Bell P-63C-5-BE (GB7; G/C3.6 Armee de l'Air)
Shelf of Shame - Spitfire FR Mk IXc (GB4; 16 Sqn RAF), Arado Ar196A-3 (GB2; 2./Aufkl.Gr.125)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby pbhawkin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37

Peter's Planes' vacformed transparency

Hmm let me see if I can try a vacform with my NEW (did I mention it was NEW) vacform machine (any excuse to have a play). I have redone the Fw189 cockpit as a single piece and it worked surprisingly well.
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby ajmm » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:40

Oh rats I've never had issues with Maskol before and I've gone away and left a semi-finished YB-49 flying wing thingy smothered in the stuff. Anigrand too. Probably two months and counting now. This could be expensive...
ajmm
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby Wege » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:52

Awesome.. I have a new compound to try to remove paint.. woot!
Wege
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04

OK, initiated this in my GB6 Falco thread. Briefly, adhesion issues YET AGAIN with bloody Tamiya acrylics. And YET AGAIN when applied over their primer. Now I'm not going to bore everyone by repeating my views on Lifecolor versus Tamiya versus Gunze. No, I'm now seriously reconsidering the whole acrylic thing (I see Merlin smirking in the Naughty Corner). So, here goes ...

Like most older/ancient modellers in the UK and Australia, I cut my teeth on Humbrol enamels and absolutely loved the long-OOP Authentics' range. This extended through to the early '80's (when I began my modelling hiatus) and covered all of my airbrushing tasks in 1/72 and larger scales. Clean-up with Humbrol thinners wasn't that much fun, true, but I now realise that I'm doing precisely the same with acrylic thinners as water simply doesn't work well enough. I still have a handful of AFV completions dating back to that Golden Era and close inspection shows that the finish was generally very good. Whilst my memory might be a bit wonky, I can't recall encountering blocking or sputtering issues (unless I forgot to clean the airbrush out after a previous job), something I have experienced waaaaaay too often with acrylics (most commonly with Lifecolor, but Tamiya isn't a long way back). Made spraying fine mottles much easier to start with. True, I had a decent Paasche airbrush back then and not a Chinese Cheapie, but it does give me food for thought.

My current paint holdings amount to just over 100 bottles of acrylic versus 1 of enamel (somehow there's a tinlet of Humbrol 174 Signal Red in the stash). Whilst I know that a fair smattering of the acrylics will continue to be used in paint areas like cockpit interiors and wheel-wells, details, etc. - all of which I do with a hairy stick anyway (Lifecolor works wonderfully well in this role) - I'm now seriously reconsidering future "exterior" paint jobs. I'm reluctant to start turfing anything out (a sustainability issue, mainly of my finances), so might experiment with the odd "primarily enamel" job in coming months. Both of my local hobby shops stock Humbrol, so no availability problems.

I know Merlin is a devout enamelist, and Triggerhappy's exhaustive review shows that he is firmly in the acrylic army. But what of other members? Are my views being coloured by a handful of recent bad experiences? Do tell ...
OTB ...
Group Builds - GAF Canberra Mk 20 (GB7; 2 Sqn RAAF), Bell P-63C-5-BE (GB7; G/C3.6 Armee de l'Air)
Shelf of Shame - Spitfire FR Mk IXc (GB4; 16 Sqn RAF), Arado Ar196A-3 (GB2; 2./Aufkl.Gr.125)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby TonyG2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16

I have switched almost 100% to acrylics. Indeed I can't recall the last time I used any enamel paints. Like you I cut my teeth on Humbrol enamels and still have boxes full of the Authentics (lord knows what condition they are in). But I have found acrylics to be so much simpler to use both for airbrush and regular paintbrush application. Granted it did take a lot of practice before I got the hang of it especially for brush painting larger areas.

I use a variety of makes. Tamiya, Humbrol, Revell, some Valejo and Games Workshop. I have also used Hannants own Xtracolour acrylics which are all gloss even for FS colours that should be matt or satin. You apply a final coat of the correct varnish after applying the decals. The problem with Xtracolour that I have found is the paint is quite thick and I tend to get distinct levels when applying a multitone cammo scheme.

When I started spraying GW colours I thinned with water and it worked fine. However, the cleanup of the airbrush was a bugger....

If I use a spray on undercoat I tend to use rattlecans of either Halfords grey or white primer or Games Workshops white primer. I had problems with coverage using the early Aifix and revel colours but they appear to have changed the formulation and they are now much better. I still use Tamiya more than any other but I find they all need to be thinned with isopropyl alcohol even when brush painting.

I couldn't comment on the use with Maskol fluid however as I haven't used that in years. I do nearly all my masking using Tamiya masking tape and I have had no problems with lifting paint and very rare issues with seepage under the masking tape.
TonyG2
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star

Postby Wege » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55

being that you are on the eastern side of this island, smeg, perhaps consider switching to Gunze.

Or maybe even firing off a line to Brent of Hyperscale (and editor/author/modeller extra-ordinaire.. holy cow that guy is pretty damned good too!).... see if he can offer some suggestions regarding your issues with Tamiya and Acrylic....

I think he loves the stuff.. but I do know that he does decant a lot of paint from can-to-spray.
He also uses 'brand' airbrushes too, from memory.
Wege
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 23:57

Interesting comments ... thanks to both of you. Wege, your suggestion re: Gunze may address the issue. As I said elsewhere, I did need to find a replacement for my beloved (except for its nozzle blocking) Lifecolor. Just airbrushed the Falco this morning with H312 undiluted from the bottle ... misted on really well with no blocking at all. As Triggerhappy said, it does take much longer to dry than other acrylics but that's ideal for airbrushing.

True, one swallow doesn't make a summer, but it has increased the options, particularly with Metro carrying the while Gunze range.
OTB ...
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Wege » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45

no probs.. I think I have ordered (online from there) ... or was it BMAmodeller?
Wege
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Previous

Return to 1/144 Hints, Tips and Tools!