Mig-31 Firefox

Doesn't matter if it is factual or fictional, if it's out of this world, it goes here!

Mig-31 Firefox

Postby ajmm » Fri Nov 30, 2018 22:28

For this film...

The fictional Mig-31 is as much a star as Clint...

They even built a real one (well, fictional one) for filming at Van Nuys...

I got hold of an Anigrand Firefox cheap. I'm not very interested in the Firefox itself, if I'm brutally honest, but the 144 kit comes with a Convair Delta, the prototype delta-winged aircraft that sparked a long line of Convair Deltas, including one of my favourites - the B-58.

Anyway. The Firefox. I built the Firefox. It was a pig actually. The intakes, above and below, had awful fit issues - I had to insert a lot of plasticard and used a surprising amount of filler.

The wings had locating pins but these did not align with the holes in the fuselage and there was a nasty seam to deal with.

Got there in the end though. Sprayed it glossy black, then masked off a few areas and sprayed a paler black-grey mix to get some panel variation.

Decal strips for the silver leading edges. Pretty straight forward really.

This didn't really inspire me a great deal, I'll admit. :D

The end result is pleasing enough. But I'm tempted to sell it on that auction site.

Thanks for looking!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Mig-31 Firefox

Postby spejic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:11

ajmm wrote:This didn't really inspire me a great deal, I'll admit. :D

That's because you weren't thinking in Russian! (people who saw the movie will get that joke)

I think it's a luxury to build something that doesn't inspire. Everything in my stash inspires me so I keep moving from one thing to another and never finishing anything.

But this turned out nicely and your hard work paid off because I can't see those flaws you were talking about.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates
spejic
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby pbhawkin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:54

It's a nice model because of your perseverance and the only one I have seen built up, so worth keeping for that reason alone.
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby ajmm » Sun Dec 02, 2018 23:24

Thanks guys! I really need to see the film again. Haven’t seen it for ages, since I was much smaller and it was on Tv. I remember the Russian thinking thing now! I’m glad to have built this.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 0:58

The Firefox was one of Anigrand's earlier productions, with examples in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48. Given your comments, Angus, I would sincerely hope the fit issues weren't scaled all the way up to 1/48 or some purchasers might be really piddled off! As it is, you've done a great job here. I recall the release of the film and thinking to myself, "Geez, what an evil looking beastie!" Of course, it is interesting to compare this with the host of MiGs and Sukhois that have surfaced in the decades following the movie.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby TonyG2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02

Your Firefox came out a darn sight better than mine. I had similar issues with the fit. I found a paper model in 1/144 (presented as a .pdo file so it was likely extracted from a 3D computer rendering) and had less trouble....)

Am I alone in thinking that the Mig 31 Firefox looks a bit small now when compared to 4th and 5th gen machines such as the Pak FA
/Su-57, the J-20 and the F-22? It even looks weedy next to an Su-27.

However I applaud Anigarnad for their venture into the more speculative designs such as the Kamov Black Ghost, Aurora, the monogram style F-19 etc and the Stingbat. Just wish they had a go at the FA-37 Talon and the EDI UCAV from the movie Stealth, which itself was a kind of spiritual successor to Firefox (except the stealth aircraft essentially stole itself)
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Return to 1/144 Space and Sci-Fi