Election Impact?

any old chit-chat?

Re: Election Impact?

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02

Here's the thing, the Aussie dollar actually dipped against the Greenback shortly after the result of the US election was known. In part, this relates to Trump's promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership which will have a major impact on trade between the US and Australia. Our dollar has crawled back up to its pre-election exchange rate with the Greenback but it remains to be seen what happens once Trump is sworn in.

Whilst the result came as a surprise to many, I saw the writing on the wall weeks before. In line with the whole Brexit thing, this trend towards isolationism is only likely to continue. In line with Michel's comments, I read of the new "Iron Lady" of Europe, National Front leader Marine Le Pen who is running again for the French presidency on many of the same policies that Trump has proposed. At a somewhat reduced level, we're seeing it here Down Under with a jump in popularity for right-wing parties like One Nation, which espouse dramatic cuts in immigration, especially from certain ethnic groupings. And Jonathan, these same parties are also of the "global warming is a myth"/"carbon emissions are good" school. Heaven help us.

But the sun will rise tomorrow, possibly through a pall of smog. :roll:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby TonyG2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:36

I can't speak for the US or the French, but I honestly don't see the Brexit vote as being isolationist. The opposite in fact. A lot of commentators see the present arrangement as being locked in to an EU only deal and where better deals can be agreed with other nations both inside and outside of the EU.

Yes there is a desire to get back control of our boarders and curb uncontrolled immigration. Indeed it had been suggested we should adopt a quota system akin to that in Australia.

Most people I know are not concerned by the fact of immigration itself but rather the uncontrolled floodgates that were opened via the EU open boarders. By way of example, the 2016 population of Australia is 24,285,400 making it the 51st highest in the world and with 7.3 people per square mile. By contrast the UK has a population of 65,110.000 making it the 22nd highest population and with 661 people per square mile. Its not exactly standing room only but to many it is starting to feel like it at times. I do not see expressing a concern as being isolationist. Its not as though anyone is (seriously) talking about mass deportations and building walls to keep the world out. But a lot of people are getting tired of being taken as mugs by the EU elites.

Here endeth the party political broadcast :D
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Postby Wege » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:49

smeg1959 wrote:
But the sun will rise tomorrow, possibly through a pall of smog. :roll:

"beeeewwwwteeeeful sunset though, maaaayt" (tone of 'Con the Frew-terer'... with irony.. )
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Jonathan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 15:42

sorry to say that the USD instead of deflating has risen to new highs.

The feeling seems to be the the Trumpistas instead of bringing the mega banks to heal, attacking the national budget deficit and halting the endless printing of new dollars by the FED, (which some ostensibly non-deplorable people gave as reason to vote for him) will do just the opposite - EXPAND the deficit, cut taxes for the richest 1% and relax regulations on the big commercial banks. The vultures are circling.
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Previous

Return to Pull up a seat