Oh, for the days when........
we bought kits because the picture looked good on the box lid
there was only one glue and it came in a tube
We applied transfers, not decals
paint came in little screw top bottles
we painted the model in the colours recommended in the instructions
enhancements consisted of a turning prop, or ability to lower the undercarriage
weathering was having matt black wheels instead of gloss
aftermarket parts consisted of a length of cotton and a drawing pin, or perhaps a banger.
A diorama was the kitchen table and your imagination!
Scales were for the kitchen or bathroom
Varnish was for sheds

Have I missed anything?
All for one and 144 all
bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Re: Oh, for the days when........

Postby bluedonkey99 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:37

Transparent canopies where optional (due to overgluing/clouding)
Everything was paint in gloss (from a little Humbrol tin)
Trying to use all the optional parts, regardless location was mandatory
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mig88 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51

I started in the very late 70s so I saw only some of that. My first kit was a Matchbox Stuka. As the parts were multi-coloured I didn't paint it (then) and yes, I put both the anti-tank guns of the G version and the bombs of the D version. I wonder if the real thing would have lifted off the ground!! Ah, simpler times...
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby mtcc75 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:37

And completed models were lucky to last a day before their untimely Cat 5 write off
mtcc75
JV 144
JV 144

Postby bootneck42 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:53

Oh yes, flight distance trials (throwing) or 'testing to destruction' comes to mind.

I had a line rigged from my bedroom window down to the clothes-line post at the end of our garden. I remember putting an Airfix Me109 on a loop so that it hung from the line; plus I attached a banger to the underside, lit it and sent it off down the line to explode. Parents downstairs were not pleased as they weren't expecting to be attacked from above!
All for one and 144 all
bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby TonyG2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:43

I always suspected that the varnish they sold for models was the same that came in bigger cans for the shed :D It was certainly yellow enough....

Ah the old Airfix glass bottles of paint and screw tops that invariably wouldn't screw back on. I was so glad to see the back of them!

First kit? 1/72 Airfix Folland Gnat. Before the Red Arrows version. However for reasons that defy logic it was painted gold and silver. Possibly that was the only paint I could find. Second kit was the Airfix 1/72 A4 Skyhawk. Correct paint scheme (well sort of). Ended up a glossy light blue upper surface and gloss white underside. Looked pretty good at the time. I may even have it somewhere. The Gnat was disposed of long long ago.
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Postby ajmm » Tue Nov 29, 2016 13:23

I remember discovering, aged about 9, my father's childhood stash of old Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits in a cupboard in an upstairs bedroom. Can you imagine anything more wonderful for a small(ish) child?! It was like the loot of some sort of Ocean's 11-style model-shop heist. I distinctly remember building a SBD Dauntless and a Bristol Blenheim in the ensuing fest (to be honest I was probably so doped up on the glue-fumes that I could have built anything). Until recently all these resided on strings on my bedroom ceiling in the family home (in hindsight, pretty restrained of me). They didn't look too bad, as it happens - although they had a habit of slowly un-building themselves and shed bits and pieces from on high over the years. Happy days.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MichelB » Tue Nov 29, 2016 18:54

Oh yes! Multicoloured Matchbox kits... red plastic combined with Revell glue forming some unholy red liquid resulting in stains that made my mom livid... Twisting the parts from the sprue, not bothering to remove the stubbs. And then complaining that the kit didn't fit. Kid logic. I also remember taking my old 1:1144 space shuttle and glueing it sparsely, so that I could take a potato knife and pry the parts apart again, and re-build the kit several times! Why? Kid logic. :lol:
MichelB
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby McYellowbelly » Tue Nov 29, 2016 19:38

Blue was blue,
green was green,
brown was brown
BS and FS numbers????
All RAF aircraft were green and brown camo...green and grey?never
McYellowbelly
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby MattP » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:17

My first kit was an Aurora P-38 I think I painted it with Testors red and lime green gloss paint. I used so much glue that I melted part of the wing tip. For some reason, I thought that you should use a whole tube of glue per kit...
MattP
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star

Next

Return to Pull up a seat