Music To Model By.....

any old chit-chat?

Music To Model By.....

Postby TonyG2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:50

Just wondering how many of you have music or even a video playing in the background when working on a model or do you prefer peace, quiet and no distractions?

I noted the other day that, possibly as a subconscious thing, when I have music on at by work bench I seem to select material that fits in with what I am working on.

So, for aircraft modelling I have had the Top Gun soundtrack, 633 Squadron, Mosquito Squadron, soundtrack to The Final Countdown and, increasingly, the music from the games Ace Combat 4 and Ace Combat 5. The anime shows Stratos 4 and Supersylph Yukikaze have also been getting an airing.

Army/AFV? Battle of the Bulge, Kelleys Heros, The Green Beret etc

Navy? Not much in the way of music but have had Battle of the River Plate and Sink the Bismark on the tablet. And, oh the shame, the movie Battleship..........
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Re: Music To Model By.....

Postby net_sailor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 16:40

I have assembled two warships only, but I can recommend 3 navy themes. The Crimson Tide theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhsJ_KQf6w

Das Boot theme and all soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXi7f7AFmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB2ePUPk83g

The Hunt For Red October (all soundtrack):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qowkuqH9lE

I have no idea why, all these movie themes are about submarines but sounds great!

Another wonderful music is a Conan The Barbarian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9icM1Wth1o
WARNING: I can't assure this is the best music for peaceful working. I'm personally delighted by this music, so I make many stops with my work to listen!
net_sailor
Flight #6
Flight #6

Postby ajmm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 17:33

I actually tend to listen to audiobooks mainly. I got an Audible subscription for when I was travelling with work a few years ago and have a backlog of unlistened to audiobooks which I'm working through (life has many stashes, I find). I find I can't take in non-fiction by ear, I just lose the plot (ahem), so it has to be fiction. Douglas Reeman was a big player in my library until I twigged that all his books' characters and plot-lines are identical, just the names and places are altered slightly - but they're still enjoyable. This year I've done Red Storm Rising (early Tom Clancy which is genuinely excellent and is still on the reading list at Annapolis apparently) and Flight of the Intruder (which I enjoyed). I'm soldiering through my second ever Clancy book, The Bear and the Dragon, which is also the last Tom Clancy I'll be trying for some time - truly terrible stuff.

Otherwise I put a youtube documentary on my phone, propped up on a paint jar - nothing can go wrong there - sometimes its related to what I'm building, often not. Last night I was working on my Cheyenne and watching the World at War episode on Stalingrad. Great stuff.

Musically, count me in for all of the above and add in the Battle of Britain score, Where Eagles Dare etc. :)
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby bluedonkey99 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 20:51

Primarily, it would be
Live:BBC Radio 4,
On demand: BBC Radio 2, BBC radio 6
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MattP » Thu Mar 02, 2017 22:32

Generally I listen to the TV, usually tuned to the History Channel. Also if there's nothing on, it's audio books... "The Adventures of Jack Flanders" or a couple of Tom Clancy audio book I happen to have around.
MattP
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43

Pretty much anything that I've pulled out of my CD collection or downloaded from YouTube. Agreed that the occasional airing of the music from the 1969 film The Battle of Britain adds a little to sessions slaving over 109E's, Spittys and the like. Needless to say, it's a waste of electricity playing anything at all when I'm airbrushing as my compressor is one of those 1970's 140-decibel-plus threshold-of-pain chaff-cutters ... :roll:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby TonyG2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15

How did I forget Where Eagles Dare and Battle of Britain!

I think I have the music to Crimson Tide and Red October somewhere, either as a full soundtrack CD or as the main theme on a compilation album.

Although not really fitting in to a modelling theme, the Raiders of the Lost Ark theme and the main theme from The Rocketeer are pretty good.

I was never much into audio books as I found that all to often the presenter wasn't up to the task. I may have to change my views. I accidentally bought the audio book of Dale Brown's Dreamland - Target Utopia before Xmas. I thought it was the paperback and hadn't read the Ebay listing properly :roll:

It was sitting around when I set off for a meeting the other day so I put it on in the car and wow, really good. The presenter made a real effort to give different voices to the characters.

What I would normally go is get hold of Radio4 dramatisations. I have quite a few Agatha Christie stories, Sherlock Holmes, some SF such as The Kraken Wakes and The Chrysalids by John Wyndham and the marathon BBC effort of Lord of The Rings. Somewhere I have a load of Yes Minister radio episodes and the US NPR broadcasts of Star Wars, Empire and Return of the Jedi but those are all on tape. I will have to see if I can find a way to convert them to MP3 files. I do have a turntable that I can use to "rip" vinyls direct to MP3 but I don't think I have a tape player that will do the job for cassettes. Hell, I don't think I have an audio cassette player anymore.....
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Postby EnzoA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:57

Usually I have some Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Dio, Rainbow and Sabaton blasting away as I build, but the moment a part falls, Monty Python's Always Look On the Bright Side of Life starts playing.. that or the Red Army Choir.
Need. More. Hornets.
EnzoA
Flight #8
Flight #8

Postby MichelB » Sat Mar 11, 2017 18:24

I like to combine building with watching a movie or series. Netflix is a godsend for those moments, but as I type I'm watching The Dambusters. Nothing like a solid old war movie to inspire.
MichelB
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby F_IV » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37

I'm a big believer in audiobooks too, and also tend to go for the no-fiction titles. Although having said that, I did rip through nearly the entire collection of sci-fi books by Jack Campbell last year. :lol:

At Christmas time my employer gave me a stack of Netflix vouchers and that has been a bit of a game changer. I normally rarely ever watch television or films, but found that the distraction of having the monitor set up on my bench and something to do with my hands at the same time made for some really productive modelling binges.

Those Netflix vouchers are soft and flexible too, and make great scribing templates and curved sanding blocks... :D
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to Pull up a seat