P-47 Film

any old chit-chat?

P-47 Film

Postby ajmm » Tue May 16, 2017 13:09

I found this fantastic colour footage documentary of P-47s in the last few weeks of WW2 on YouTube. Well worth a watch - what the History channel used to do really well: unsentimental and not-overdramatised, letting the footage and interviewees do most of the talking. Raw and humbling stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbMKVuijE8&t=297s

Sadly, I can't imagine they'd produce something like this now without at least one CGI graphics dogfight, a lot of chest-thumping patriotism and endless post-ad-break rejoiner summaries, very tedious.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: P-47 Film

Postby MichelB » Tue May 16, 2017 19:13

Amazing shots, and harrowing... so close, to see the horses and other draught animals targeted.

My mother' family (she was three in 1944), lived somewhat near a marshalling yard. A train carrying horses and mules from occupied Holland to Germany was torn up by allied planes - the carnage must have been immense. But the locals - remember, this was the Hunger Winter and food was sparse - descended on the wreckage to loot anything. Butchers from all over town went to work on the still-smoldering remnants; my six-year old aunt carried a whole horses' leg - still warm, still dripping - through the snow back to her home. Soup for days...
MichelB
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby Warbird Kid » Tue May 16, 2017 21:21

Wow... :shock: now thats a story. Glad I joined this forum for sure! Warbird Information Exchange is another for an incredible amount knowledge and stories.
Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby Wege » Wed May 17, 2017 12:59

Sadly the animals would have been targeted as even in that time, the Wehrmacht was still (quite) animal dependent... and as the fuel situation got worse, so did the dependency on beasts of burden.

Small plug... entirely on-topic-reply.
If you are ever in London and in Mayfair, just walk and have a look at the Animals in War monument... So sad.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59C28C89
Image is mine....
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to Pull up a seat