Coming to Italy, Munich and Paris

any old chit-chat?

Coming to Italy, Munich and Paris

Postby pbhawkin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:36

Hi all,
My family and I are coming to Paris for late June and Munich early July (just 3 days each) and then Italy for 2 weeks staying near Sienna (Belforte).
Has anyone got suggestions of where to take and what to show three boys (12, 13 and 16) apart from the obvious attractions?
Also, places to visit on day trips out from Belforte (we will have a car)?
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Re: Coming to Italy, Munich and Paris

Postby moresby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 13:08

day trips from Belforte... well ,Tuscany has so many places to see! Apart Siena and Florence, don't miss Lucca, Pisa and San Gimignano. If you want to widen your range of action there's Umbria (Todi, Assisi, Spoleto) and several wonderful small towns in Tuscia (between Tuscany and Latium) like Pitigliano or Tuscania...

If you get closer to my city of course there's Bracciano lake with Italian Air Force Museum of Vigna di Valle.

When in Munich don't forget the Deutsche Museum (Science and Technology). Can be interesting for kids too (plus there's the Aviation section featuring a BF-109e, a Ju-52 and more...)
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby pbhawkin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58

Hi, Moresby.
Thanks for the reply.
We will try to visit most of the places you mention although I didn’t know about San Gimignano, Todi, Pitigliano, Tuscania or Bracciano lake (which I would love to visit).
I will be in Rome from July 5th to 8th with my family and some friends ( who own a air B&B in Belfort).
Maybe we can catchup, even if via phone ?
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby ph-adk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 22:05

If you want to see some history go to former Nazi camp Dachau. A chilling experience I will never forget. I will take my kids one day for sure.

Munich is nice, enjoy your holiday!

*edit:

Of course, Dachau can be the obvious go see because it will be in the tourist office flyers. On the other hand, during holidays people tend to go to fun and beautiful places I reckon and this is quite the opposite. Hence this suggestion. Another obvious visit is the BMW museum and the TV tower. Both very nice.

*yes, one more edit:

My wife remembered a Dutch travell show were they visited Munich. They visited the river Isar were you can ride an eternal wave at the Eisbachwelle (all Aussies surf in my world) or take a raft and enjoy lots of beer (Floßfahrt)

* last edit:

You can always swap Paris for Barcelona. Paris is not the happiest of places right now.

Cheers, Lex
ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby glehn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 20:40

Hi Peter,

I have just moved from Brazil to Germany 4 months ago and I am living in Augsburg, which is around 1h from Munich. I have been to Munich a few times as I have relatives and friends living there. As mentioned above, the Deutsches Museum is a great attraction, with lots of interesting machines of all kinds. But they moved most of the aircraft to a new location in the outskirts of Munich. Check the Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleissheim: https://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/flug ... formation/
It is definetely worth visiting both.
My daughter loved the Zoo in Munich but she is a bit younger than your kids (she is 9). She also loved Legoland, but it is a little far from Munich (more than 2h by train, I guess).
Munich is a very nice city with lots of things to do. There are some very nice art museums, my favorite being the old Pinakotheke.
June/July is a nice time to visit a Biergarten in the Englische Garten where you can have a beer and your kids can drink Apfelschorle.
Public transportation works very well and you can go everywhere with the subway, buses or trams. You will not need a car there, in my opinion.
I am not sure it would be feasible to see everything in just 3 days.You will need to choose carefully.
I hope this helps and let me know if you need any more information from here!

Best regards
Luis
glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby pbhawkin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 21:58

thanks for further replies guys.
I will certainly go to the Deutsches museum (I went there in 1994!) but am now torn if they have moved their aircraft to a different location! So they have only aircraft at Schleissheim and everything else at the old site?
Dachau and BMW museum are certainly on the list as well as just wandering around and maybe a day trip by train or bus to Neuschwanstein castle.
Anyone have any suggestions on accomodation? Either good places or ones to avoid? We are looking at 2 adults and 3 kids (depending on what they think a 17yo is). Hotels, AirB&B, hostel??
The Englische Garten and beer/Apfelschorle sounds good.
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby moresby » Wed Jan 16, 2019 13:05

I remember beer served only in 1-liter size beer mugs there!

About Italy: Bracciano lake is nice and there is a beautiful castle there. I believe Tom Cruise married Katie Holmes there: you can see it (playing a Rhodes Fortress) in 1995 Othello film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Othello_(1995_film).

However, if you are planning a day trip perhaps it's a bit too far (280 kms) from Siena -and there's so many places to see in Rome in just 3 days. The real Bracciano attraction would be the AMI Museum in Vigna di Valle https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... Lazio.html.

In July I hope I'll be visiting Russia (don't know the dates yet), adding Kubinka to the list of tank museums I've already visited (already including Bovington, Muenster, Diekirch and Saumur) but I'd be happy to get in touch if in Rome.
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby teddybeer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 18:45

ph-adk wrote:
You can always swap Paris for Barcelona. Paris is not the happiest of places right now.

Cheers, Lex

He is right !!!!!
Ahhh, Paris....
Its Yellow Vests on Saturday afternoon, its perfumes of tear gas bombs, its shots of flash-ball, the shop windows broken.... Happiness !
Except to stay locked in your hotel room on Saturday afternoon....

And then, even if Yellow Vests stop in June, there is still a French specialty that the whole world envy us : Strikes ... !!!!

So, yes, Barcelona, Amsterdam (with this wonderful store near airport : Aviation Megastore - Luchtvaart Hobby Shop) and many other cities in Europe.

Bon voyage....
teddybeer
Flight #5
Flight #5

Postby moresby » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:28

Paris is an amazing city and one to be seen at least once in a lifetime (planning to get there again. It would be my 5th or 6th visit...).
Yellow vests will be likely over in July (and if going right now just avoid weekends when most riots happen). Barcelona and Amsterdam are also worth a visit of course but in my opinion Paris has as many places and museums to see to as Amsterdam AND Barcelona together.
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby pbhawkin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:00

Spain etc will be another trip.
But tell me more about places in Venice (apart from the obvious. Any favourite places?) and also if Anyone has opinions on AirB&b versus B&Bs, pensione or hotels (Munich or Venice)?
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Next

Return to Pull up a seat