Coming to Italy, Munich and Paris

any old chit-chat?

Re: Coming to Italy, Munich and Paris

Postby moresby » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:54

My suggestion for Venice: it will be hot in July, and the city will be full of tourists.
B&B or hotels: book early if you're looking for a place in the old city and not in Lido or Mestre.

Try once to sneak out early in the morning and have a walk through calli and campi (Venetian for small alleys and little squares) when there's still very few people around -and it's pleasantly cool.

You'll have an interesting light for your photographs, better photo opportunities and the chance to really feel the magic of Venice before souvenir shops open and crowds start firing selfies in front of everything.

You'll only have to convince your family to have an early get up; promise them a nice breakfast at the end of your dawn patrol, preferably someplace quiet, nice and with outdoor tables.
Last edited by moresby on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29, edited 1 time in total.
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby glehn » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:53

Most of the times I have been to Munich I stayed at my cousin´s place, so not much experience with Hotels. Just once I stayed in an AirBnB there and it was very good. I would check AirBnB options first. The one we stayed in was close to the Münchner Freiheit subway station in a very nice neighborhood, just a couple of blocks from the Englisch Garten. But the room would probably be too small for your family (they had just two beds - so my wife, our two children and I had to share the beds). But you should be able to find other AirBnB offers.
If you want, I can send you my phone number here in Germany so you can call me when you are in Munich.

Best regards,
Luis
glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby pbhawkin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 20:56

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.
I have found places to stay now in Munich and Venice.
Thanks for the offers of your phone numbers too Luis and Moresby but I think we will be quite busy with 5 of us all wanting to do or see something each day!
I have also booked the EC train from Munich to Venice (7 hours) so that will be a great chance to see the Alps and countryside of a couple of countries.
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 22:09

Peter, words can't express how envious I am of you and your family. So I'll let Mr Green do it for me ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OTB ...
Group Builds - P-36C Hawk (27th PS, USAAC)
Other - Ju87B-2 (102/2 ZO, Hungarian AF), Latécoère 298 (Aeronavale)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA Super Sabre (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Prototype)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Baldrick62 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:32

G'day Peter,
I won't repeat, but wholeheartedly endorse, Moresby's recommendations. Close in to Belforte, take an evening to go to Monteriggioni; if you arrive about 1800 the last of the tour buses should be departing, leaving a lovely walled hilltop town for your strolling and gastronomic pleasure. I'd suggest a late in the day run to San Gimignano too, as it gets overrun with tourists. Slightly further afield, the Vale of Spoleto, and Bevagna if the mediaeval festival is on, should keep the boys engaged. In Rome, get out to the Park of the Aqueducts, and take a walk (and picnic) along the Via Appia Antica. In Venice, take the ferries around the lagoon, particularly to the less tourist overrun islands of Burano and Torcello.
Baldrick62
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby moresby » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:36

Hi.

Last week I've returned to Paris after mofe than 20 years. A few more tips for us modellers.

I've been to the Air and Space Museum: it's in the old Le Bourget Airport and easy to get to from city center (metro and a few bus stops). The WW1 part was closed: the most interesting collections are in the Helicopter hall and in the between -the-wars hall. The rocket and space hall has a couple of French ICBMs on display (first time I've seen one).If the family goes shopping you might squeeze a half-day to visit, but my suggestion would be to get there early before some of the hangars become greenhouses.

If you have a car, are interested in military vehicles and tanks and plan visiting some of the Loire Castles, consider sleeping in Saumur. It's a beautiful town along the Loire, with a beautiful castle and a terrific tank museum! I think their collection of WW2 tanks (especially German ones) is better than the one in Bovington and Muenster (again, those not interested may visit the castle while you walk between a Konigstger and a Marder III...).

More general suggestions ((not related to modelling): buy tickets online in advance! You'll skip awfully long queues both in Paris (Louvre, Tour Eiffel) and in Rome (Forum, Coliseum, Vatican Museum). The small but amazing Galleria Borghese can only be visited buying tickets in avance.
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby pbhawkin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28

Thanks for the further suggestions.
Moresby, I have booked early entry (before normal opening hours) tour of the Vatican and a night tour of the Colosseum. As well as the Lourve and a hop on hop off bus in Paris. But won't get to any of the military museums (this time!).
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Previous

Return to Pull up a seat