Your favorite model

any old chit-chat?

Your favorite model

Postby ph-adk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 20:55

I've seen a fair amount of models in my 6 years of modeling now. It got me thinking, what is the most beautiful model made you know off? Of course, for many of us, it could be more than one, but if you had to come up with one special?

My favorite model got me back to modeling in 2012. I had a lot of extra time on my hands and needed a hobby. Of course, modeling was my childhood hobby so I started surfing the web. I came across a dutch forum were I've spent days looking at all the build models. When I saw this model i was sold. Maybe someday I will be able to produce something similar. Enjoy:

https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtop ... f=1&t=1003

Of course, after two models in 1/72, I found out it was the wrong scale altogether. But every once in a while I scroll down this build report...
ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288

Re: Your favorite model

Postby bluedonkey99 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 22:33

While I'm a fan of a great beaver, it does seem an unusual entry into modelling - or, even a candidate fora favourite. But, this is okay. This is good, this is why the variety of interests is good and leads us all on our own journey - else, we would according to Mr Sweet be building Zeros!

So, I think one of my all time favorite kiys, probably due to the sentimental and nostalgic aspects of a) it being build able and recognisabke when built as a 7yr old is the humble Airfix Dr. 1 in 1/72 in its 70s blister pack on vqrdy. I even painted in red and black enamels ( well it was the 70s
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smeg1959 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22

It is an interesting question. I suspect that, for many modellers, their favourite model is most likely not the same as their best model, and that's often due to some sentimental reason like the examples given by both of you. If I think back to my teen years, there were probably a few vying for the title, all long gone to a guy who bought my stuff prior to me moving to South Australia to complete my uni studies. However, I think all are surpassed in my eyes by my Anson C19, built for the Transport GB here. Again, not necessarily my personal best. So why pick it? Apart from being the only multimedia kit I've attempted in nigh on 60 years of existence, the build spanned the time I was in hospital in 2015, having all my internal piping reconnected after my trials and tribulations in 2014. If the surgeon had stuffed up, I would have been completing the build with St Peter's assistance ...

F0008-UF-ML000-600-st-peter-at-the-pearly-gates-illustration-id139380553.jpg

"You're building the Mikro Hurricane kit? Sorry, you want Hell."
OTB ...
Group Builds - P-36C Hawk (27th PS, USAAC)
Other - Ju87B-2 (102/2 ZO, Hungarian AF), Latécoère 298 (Aeronavale)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA Super Sabre (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Prototype)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby bootneck42 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57

The Anson is another kit that I missed out on when they were available, as such it is another one that I am going to have to scratchbuild. I just need to get GB 9 stuff planned and sorted first...... or perhaps not!

Mike
All for one and 144 all
bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby F_IV » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58

ph-adk wrote:I've seen a fair amount of models in my 6 years of modeling now. It got me thinking, what is the most beautiful model made you know of?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean the most beautiful completed model that I have seen? I think for me that would be a 1//48 scale scratchbuilt Short Stirling by the Greek maker, Megas Tsonos. Pictures are very hard to find, but a 9 part build was published in Meng AIR Modeller Magazine and is available as a serialised standalone article on the afvmodeller website.

Here's a wee preview. I could stare at that thing for hours!

megas tsonos.JPG
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 13:00

Ah, yes, I think I read BD99's reply and my thoughts turned to favourite model with personal involvement. If we go with your interpretation, F_IV, I am completely zonked, as there have been so many stupendous models I have seen over half a century, some in magazines, others in the flesh at model shows. Each in its own way has contributed to my love of the hobby and the drive to improve personally along the way.
OTB ...
Group Builds - P-36C Hawk (27th PS, USAAC)
Other - Ju87B-2 (102/2 ZO, Hungarian AF), Latécoère 298 (Aeronavale)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA Super Sabre (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Prototype)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby bluedonkey99 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 16:05

Ah, I've read it again, this time in daylight.
I'm going to have to think again
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ph-adk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:43

Ah sorry if I wasn't clear enough. English obviously isn't my native language and often the nuances can make a difference. (for spelling and grammar I use a program called Grammarly. I a typical 3 or 4 line post I still have 4 to 5 errors :roll: )

What's even more interesting: F_IV's favorite model is clearly a 'better' build than the kroonduif beaver. The beaver, although a clean build, has almost no weathering and lack's other techniques. But it's still my favorite model :D This is what makes this topic so interesting I think. There are many many beautiful build models, but only a few special enough that come to mind instantly when you start digging in your mind.

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby MichelB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:25

My favorite model? As for kits that I've worked on myself, it's the Crown/Revell He-111. One of the first kit ever, I still remember fondly where (if not exactly when) I got it: as a gift from my aunt, bought in a little store in the village of Oostburg. I've bought it several times, lastly as a nostalgia-inspired binge a while back when discovering Ebay.

As for models I saw online, that left me quite speechless, there is one. It's not a plane, but the Russian predreadnought cruiser Vladimir Monomakh, built in 1:700 by Jim Baumann. Considering the scale, that ship is about 10 to 12 centimeters longs.
MichelB
Flight 10
Flight 10

Return to Pull up a seat