Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Lets do a wishlist of Aviation films we need to see made

any old chit-chat?
Russ

Lets do a wishlist of Aviation films we need to see made

Post by Russ »

Ok, the thread about the Red Tails movie upcoming brings up a idea here, and a new topic.

We all have our favorite films, so lets try it this way. FIRST list your TOP TEN films involving Air or Ships or Armor for that matter.

THEN - a list of whatever size you want, but maybe keep that to ten as well (just a suggestion) of What films SHOULD be made today on these subjects.

OK, Roll em' the top 10 existing films - Russ' picks

1. A gathering of Eagles.....I'm a Cold War kid, so this one hits home.
2. Dr. Strangelove............Same as above, these are a set and this has comedy besides, and if you can't laugh at Mutually Assured Destruction, then.....
3. Bombers B-52..............Part of the set
4. X-15
5. The Battle of Britain
6. 633 Squadron
7. Tora Tora Tora
8. El Porco Rosso...............This one is animated , or Anime as called in Japan. Don't forget animation in your list
9. The Tuskeegee Airmen
10. The Right Stuff

Ok, its clearly an Airman's DVD rack, obviously.

Now for the Wish List

1. Would like to see some Russian planes, so the first would be a film based on the Book "Mig Pilot" about Victor Balenko, who defected in a Foxbat in 1976.
2. Under the same idea, a fictional about the worlds greatest air battle fortunately unfought - NATO vs the Warsaw Pact, circa 1984. Even animated would be cool.
3. Of course we need a really in depth about John Northrop and the saga of the flying wings, right up to the B2. Include some daydreams of what-ifs in the scenes
4. We have a film about Pearl Harbor and the Battle of Midway, but the biggest battle of the Pacific, Leyte Gulf - needs a big cast production Preminger style.
5. While at sea, a good remake of Sink the Bismarck would work.
6. Lots of great submarine films out there, but nothing on the Japanese, and they had aircraft carrier subs! Calling all Anime directors !
7. Lots of films about the B-17 and 24's over Europe, how about the B-29's over Japan? Wonder if an anime director would touch that one?
8. Would be interested in a reality based film about the Battle of the Bulge, to replace that late 1960's item.
9. While all tanked up, same for Kursk.
10. Lets set the time machine to 2111 and a big air combat flick. Japan has made some Anime called Yukikaze that brush the subject but needs a deeper film.

Looking forward to your faves and ideas ( I bet I missed a lot!)

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Re: Lets do a wishlist of Aviation films we need to see made

Post by moresby »

Fav List (I'm sure I missed a lot of them too!)

1. The Battle of Britain: I was seven when I saw it: kept drawing Spits and Hurricanes for years (still doodling them, actually)
2 .Tora Tora Tora: It would just need a bit of CG to replace a few scenes: the carrier seen in the strike launching sequence, the few, short glimpses of the Rengo Kentai (the Japanese fleet), almost all explosions and water columns (no way to reproduce correctly flames of water in scale) like they did for the Star Wars episodes IV-VI. Historical accuracy, lots of real planes in the air, great movie: final score: Tora Tora Tora 6, Pearl Harbor 0 -and this is a soccer score!
3 .Dark Blue World: Nice little Czech-British movie: sequences from Battle of Britain have been recycled for a few scenes, but with CG generated tracers added(If I had it my way I'd have had Spits repainted in grey/green camouflage for post 1940 scenes, tough). Don't miss this little gem.
4 .A Bridge Too Far: swarms of C-47 and Dakotas, scores of Shermans, a recce Spitfire, great movie. Pity for the poor Leopard acting as a King Tiger (they could have painted it properly instead of leaving it light grey)
5 .The Blue Max and / or Richtofen and Brown : I prefer them to the modern, CG generated Flyboys which features computer-game like fliyng sequences (and the Germans are depicted as uselessly cruel -and dumb).
6 .Saints and Soldiers- for the Battle of the Bulge: another movie where re-enactors have been used (and it shows! Realistic battle sequences, Germans wearing accurate camouflage uniforms, there is even a glimpse of a King Tiger in the background!)
7 Flags of Our Fathers: a real good, mighty powerful movie, featuring an unforgettable vision of the US armada arrayed around the island and the amazing battle sequence (the sudden opening fire by ALL concealed Japanese weapons)
8 .Enemy at the Gates - Spw 251Cs, Panzer IIIs, CG Stukas, Stalingrad!
9. Memphis Belle Pity for the Buchons (ex Spanish '109) yet this is another good, powerful movie: if the CG guys don't overdo, Red Tails may replace it as THE film about the air battle over central Europe.
10. Let's not forget HBO's TV series: Band of Brothers and The Pacific.
Last edited by moresby on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:43, edited 8 times in total.

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

Now the wish list:

1) A 1942 carrier clash: Midway has already been covered (badly): Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz.
these have been perhaps the hardest battles fought by the US Navy - ever. I believe these would be more interesting and balanced than, say, Leyte gulf or Marianas Turkey shoot. Now they have a flying Zero; they have Computer Graphics: they don't have necessarily the brain to make a good film of it (remember Pearl Harbour -I mean the movie!)
2) Something about the Russian Front: Sergio Leone (!) was working on a movie about Leningrad before he passed away: surely it would have been epic! I'd settle for a Kursk movie (a mixed Hollywood-Russian production maybe)
3) A good film about the War in the Desert: Gazala, Tobruk, Marsa Matruh...Aerial views of mechanized columns moving through the desert, rising clouds of sand and dust contrasting with calustrophobic inside-the tank sequences.
4) ...or about the Mediterranean convoy war (Pedestal convoy, or Mezzo Agosto Battle as we Italians call it): hard to find a suitable budget without Americans involved, though.
Last edited by moresby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 14:56, edited 2 times in total.

CGD
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by CGD »

My favourite (no particular order)

1. Das Boot (but this one got to be the top)
2. The Right Stuff (I have to agree)
3. The Longest Day (I like the coloured version. I cannot see anything during the landing scene in the B/W version)
4. 633 Squadron
5. And around the 633 Squadron era, there was another Mosquito movie starring I think David McCallum about mounting the bouncing bomb on the Mosquito?
6. The Dam Busters
7. Operation Crossbow (about development of V-1 and V-2)
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. Memphis Belle (okay, I agree too)
10. Kelly's Heroes (What a laugh! Esp. what the Tiger commander opened up his eyes!! :lol: )
11. The Guns of Navarone (Sorry. over run)
12. Cross of Iron (oops, doing it again)

And the remake/make list:
1. Battle of the Bulge (Hurry, please. Give us a real (looking, CGI) Tiger II)
2. Battle of Kursk
3. A Bridge too Far (The hardware sucks! Even the Takara Leopard/Panther sucks)
4. Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising (Basically about Third world war between US/NATO against Russia/Warsaw Pact. Lots of sea/air/ground battles. A lot of hardware :twisted: . When I read the novel, the stealth fighter was still the Testors/Italeri version)
5. Movie about Michael Wittmann (Well, I'm a tank person)
6. Movie about Me262/Me163 or other experimental WWII secret weapons, something to set the imagination wild.
7. A movie about WWII Russian woman tankers would be nice too. (NO, not Tank Girl!!)

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

First in my wishlist was a movie about one of 1942 carrier clashes in the Pacific :roll: .

Here are three little gems found surfing the web:

they are all Japanese made (so the US guys tend to come out unusually trashed) and I find musical soundtrack not entirely appropriated for the dramatic sequences in the first two clips: video quality isn't too good, so it's hard to say how good and life-like the originals are: in this format they are good enough!

The first two are CG only (pilots included):

This seems taken from an episode reported in 'Samurai!' (I don't know Japanese, but the action faithfully replies Saburo Sakai's report of the first combat of his fateful sortie over Guadalcanal).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhoeg9 ... ldcat_tech

This one is labeled 'Coral Sea Battle'. It should reply the Japanese CAP defence of their carriers the second day of battle.
Enjoy the sequences showing Japanese carriers and think about what you saw in Tora Tora Tora and (-ugh!-eeew!-) Pearl Harbor!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhodek ... orail_tech

Both are good and accurate: the only fault I've found is in the second clip: US Navy planes should have red dots on their stars and red and white stripes on their rudders (both were cancelled just before Midway a few weeks after :ugeek: ).

After the IJN, we have Army planes here: Ki-43 and Ki-61! This one must be from a true movie or TV show, with real actors and (perhaps) a few airplane replicas for the scenes on the ground. Don't mind the sentimental part (little guy running after the departing Hayabusas): the combat sequence (a kamikaze attack on a US fleet -must be Okinawa-) is really good :shock: .

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd25dk_kamikaze_tec

Does anyone know more about any of these?
Last edited by moresby on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:31, edited 3 times in total.

Russ

Post by Russ »

moresby wrote:First in my wishlist was a movie about one of 1942 carrier clashes in the Pacific :roll: .

Here are three little gems found surfing the web:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd25dk_kamikaze_tec

Does anyone know more about any of these?

Interesting finds. The first two are just shorts with CG footage- I never understand why some animators will use a CG pilot when a person can do this and be easily cut in. The CG ships are well made. One looks like it is from a PBS docu about Sakai and his last mission over Guadalcanal.

A warning for anyone watching the third film about Kamikaze attack, this film uses live actors AND INCLUDES SOME SCENES THAT ARE VERY GRAPHIC and even though expected - still are shocking (cockpit fire), you may want all kids out of the room. The footage is really well created and intercut with famous scenes from the wartime documentaries colorized. The Hayabusa and Hien footage and the Hellcats are really well rendered. It reminds me of some recent films from Japan including one about the Yamato, which has a really good soundtrack. There was a full size deck model of the ship made for this- you had to wonder what some older folks there made of that superstructure rising in thier waterfront, and a rockmusic video filmed on it at night. (Remember Cher and the USS Missouri?) this one is not so - suggestive but really must have confused the locals seeing it being made.

There are some accounts that show the value of film as a propaganda tool on all sides of the conflict. In 1944, a very critical year for the events, both the Germans and Japanese diverted resources to film-making. The German film was I believe called "Kolberg" and was about Fredrick the Great and the Teutonic Knights and was of course of great symbolism. It occupied a division of troops to make. The Japanese made a documentary(s) about the Pearl Harbor attack and early carrier operations. It is training footage and other carrier footage from these films that we see today in the spotty amounts of film about these ships and planes. Of course the British had a number of films during the conflict and Hollywood produced legendary quantities as well.

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

I think the 'Kamikaze' clip has been made using CG generated effects inspired by original US footage, not using color or colorized WWII films.
The Yamato bridge has been used as a tourist attracrion for a couple of years: here it is
http://www.bobhenneman.info/movieset.htm
They also have a full Yamato museum, with a 1/10 model!!!
http://www.yamato-museum.com/en/

Russ

Post by Russ »

moresby wrote:I think the 'Kamikaze' clip has been made using CG generated effects inspired by original US footage, not using color or colorized WWII films.
The Yamato bridge has been used as a tourist attracrion for a couple of years: here it is
http://www.bobhenneman.info/movieset.htm
They also have a full Yamato museum, with a 1/10 model!!!
http://www.yamato-museum.com/en/

Had not seen that site for the Yamato museum, quite the model. One fascinating thing about the big photo of the ship model is that you cannot really tell the scale and size of it. While we often pose a finished model here on KG144 or Yahoo SSM on a gridded cutting mat or drop a penny beside it, there are no people in that shot of the Yamato model. Would be fun to park a Honda or Toyota motorcar next to it.

A few years back, on a ship models site, a enthusiast showed pictures of a 1/18 - 1/20 scale model of a IJN Yugure destroyer. Apparently it was auctioned by a SFX house after being used in the films "In Harm's Way" and then "PT-109". He missed getting a 1/24 scale Mogami at this sale. Model was Radio controlled electric drive motors and from the photos, was barely as detailed as built than todays' Photo etch era 1/350 or 1/144 ships. For night battle scenes they were probably adequate though and they were built in quantity and liberally sacrificed in explosion scenes, his model being a lucky survivor.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

CGD wrote:5. And around the 633 Squadron era, there was another Mosquito movie starring I think David McCallum about mounting the bouncing bomb on the Mosquito?
The answer: "Mosquito Squadron" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_Squadron). Should have guessed that title, eh?! :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

CGD
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Post by CGD »

smeg1959 wrote:
CGD wrote:5. And around the 633 Squadron era, there was another Mosquito movie starring I think David McCallum about mounting the bouncing bomb on the Mosquito?
The answer: "Mosquito Squadron" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_Squadron). Should have guessed that title, eh?! :P
Yep, that's the movie. I guess there is no truth in the bouncing bomb mounting on Mosquito? If I remember correctly, the bouncing bomb did nothing in the movie. At the end it was a Mosquito jamming into the tunnel as an "heroic" action to complete the mission. Make me think of the German Mistel.

Return to “Pull up a seat”