Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

What are you working on this weekend?

If you are not sure where to start posting, here would be a good place!
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Italy

Re: What are you working on this weekend?

Post by moresby »

Another CoronaVirus stay-at-home weekend. Here are the results (I know I'm late but I've just finished the Gyrfalcon prototype after a day working from home!)

After the Mirage F-1c break, I'm back at my 1/144 stealth collection: first, a Lockheed-Martin RQ-170 Sentinel (AKA the Beast of Kandahar) from MatuoKasten.
Arrived Friday from HLJ, finished Saturday just after lunch.

Then I worked on my Anigrand Shenyang J-31 Gyrfalcon model: I was going to finish it with a different colour scheme seen on more recent machines, when I realized the pre-series (?) J-31 are quite different: besides the evident lack of the nose tip sond, wings and tailplane have been 'clipped' and twin rudders shape has changed from F-22 to F-35 style.
Besides the Sentinel Model I've received a die-cast J-31 from a Chnese vendor. I've removed all underwing missiles (sure way to ruin your stealth capability) and tried to fix a few flaws.
So, here is the Anigrand J-31 prototype and the pre-series Gyrfalcon by AF-1. These aircraft have roughly the same dimensions of US F-35 JSFs and look quite similar: in a dogfight the best way to tell one from the other would be checking their back and counting engine nozzles: twin it's a Gyrfalcon, single it's a Lightning II.

Several sources have suggested that the similar look isn't only a design convergence... I've added also a F-35a (F-Toys, High Spec Series Vol.5) so you can see how similar they are.

J-31 prototype

J-31 pre-series

F-35a

all three seen from above

Last edited by moresby on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:56, edited 2 times in total.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Interesting to see those side by side. There's - er - definitely a family resemblance there! :D Also - seriously rapid work on the RQ-170. Mean-looking machine.

I've been separated from my man cave so had little time to work on existing projects like the Gladiator. But I do have access to the bulk of my unbuilt stash and some basic tools so I did dig out some kits to work on over the past week or so.

I've been focusing on US Navy and RAF postwar aircraft a lot lately. These two Cougars have just joined the lineup on the bench. Although I may perhaps have to finish the Cougar in Marines FAC colours. It would be rude to overlook a sharkmouth option.

Some Sweet wildcats. Just as lovely to build as I remember. I plan to use the rest of my Shelf-Oddity set on these.

The good thing about grabbing an Anigrand box from the stash is that you are guaranteed four aircraft to work on. This is the Beech Grizzly

From the Sikorsky VS-44A box. But I feel that I need to build the biggie at the same time so I've started this, opening up the portholes...

bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

Last weekend I went a little off-piste and decided to do a bit more on this 1:350 scratchbuild. It had been sitting on the shelf of doom for over a year.

Not to worry though, the new ship on the stocks behind is 1:144 scale.

Mike
All for one and 144 all

BigReg
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Mike,
Tidy up your workspace!
David

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

That's amazing Mike, I'd love to try that. Make a 1/144 scale ship I mean - Not clean my workspace.

BigReg
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

He may be messy but he is a very talented scratch builder. A nice bloke too (for an ex marine)

David

bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

BigReg wrote:A nice bloke too (for an ex marine)
We were taught to be tolerant of other, lesser mortals. Image
All for one and 144 all

BigReg
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Thank you M'Lud!
D

To other members of the group. I am one of Mike's care in the community team. We have to take great care of him!!

I'll leave now...........

bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

BigReg wrote: I am one of Mike's care in the community team. We have to take great care of him!!
Where's my pudding? Image

An update on my 1:144 ship build will be forthcoming.............. as soon as I've cleaned my workspace!
All for one and 144 all

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

What am I working on this weekend. Ugh, that's complicated. Thanks to a former Royal Amphibian I've been on a fruitless search for good drawings of a British U-class submarine, while also contemplating a Venetian carrack as a side project in 1/350. I've also been revisiting a Bristol Blenheim project for the 1940 GB, plus continuing work on my set of Beaufighter wings as I get acquainted with the Mk If variant. I've also been scooping the insides out of an Eduard Ju-87B like it was some mad avocado, and squinting at a cafereo He-111 to see if I can possibly do anything with it.

Return to “1/144 General Discussion”