Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II "Greg Gates" - Area 88

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.
nils
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Belgium

Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II "Greg Gates" - Area 88

Post by nils »

Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt, in the Area 88 manga, this is Greg Gates his second aircraft as his A-4E Skyhawk (to be built aswell at a later date) proved to be insufficiently effective when fighting the Land Carrier.

the kit is the Heller 1/144 A-10A Thunderbolt II, combined with homemade decals for the tail.

allthough its completed, i ran into a big problem at the end as the canopy got smudged when applying the matt coat.
im currently trying to fix it with Humbrol clear, in worst case, im gonna have to rebuild this one at another time.

on the bench:
-Airbus A400M (Belgian AF)

planned:
-Area 88 Air Base diorama
-MH-60J Jayhawk
-3 x Sepecat Jaguar (RAF, France and Indian AF)

spejic
Flight #288
Flight #288
United States of America

Re: Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II "Greg Gates" - Area 88

Post by spejic »

That looks really cool. I love how you did the dots - a very in-scale level of softness around the edges.

You can fix the canopy if you used an acrylic clear, but you need to remove it from the kit first. Soak it in alcohol and rub it with paper or cotton until the coat comes off.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates

strobez
Flight #3
Flight #3
Korea South

Post by strobez »

Oh, that’s some great work Nils! I’ve got plans for one of these as well (obviously), but the tricky camouflage has kept me at bay. You pulled it off quite well, so I’m going to use your build as a guide.

I don’t see much of a smudge, but I’ve re-done canopies for that reason as well. So I feel your pain. If you want another crack at it, there’s always Ken Schnitz’s A-10 as well. I’ve got plans for that one as well, and the camouflage is more in tune with Shin’s Draken.

Keep ‘em coming!
Thanks, Greg

Feel free to check out my blog - https://strobez.ca/wp/

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Looks great, nils. But I'd didn't realise Bill had a younger brother who flies a Thunderbolt II ... :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)

Cobraman
Rookie
Rookie
Great Britain

Post by Cobraman »

Lovely job sir! I really like A-10s.............if only someone would do a 'state of the art' kit!! (and a two-seater!!)

My range so far includes a 'was nearly' FireHog (there was a real project to use retired Hogs as firebombers - even had two airframes assigned - the USAF changed it's mind about retirement). Obviously it had to be '42'. Based on the LS tooling.

I also conjectured a Whatif Sea Bolt - with the aid, no less, of a senior Navy aircraft engineer to work out how it could be done!! Apart from the wing fold the bulged cheeks accommodate the nose launch undercarriage on one side and a refuelling boom on the other. Based on the Dragon tooling ................I know...I know.......I need to get out more !!
Attachments
A-10, IMG_1064 (36).JPG
A-10, IMG_1064 (34).JPG

Return to “1/144 "What If?"”