Vickers C Bomber

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.

Vickers C Bomber

Postby ajmm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 13:51

Crikey. This is a pretty unfamiliar corner of the forum for me - haven't dabbled in whiffery yet.

On holiday in a Welsh cottage the next 8 days, quite a long way from anywhere really...

And I thought that I needed a resin outlet after days spent in the mountains...

So I've brought my C Bomber with me and this pretty handy book which has been my bible for many Anigrand builds.

The C Bomber, you'll recall, is produced by Anigrand for Fantastic Plastic. I did an in box review of sorts a while back. So after setting up the redux man cave...

I set about gluing the fuselage halves together. I did consider adding nose weight but I think I'll be ok with this one actually...!

A bit of sanding to do on the top surfaces and a bit of filler required underneath (that's a lot of filler waiting to be sanded).

As this is what if I feel my inner historian is going to get thoroughly excitable. I think I'll do it in the medium sea grey/black of immediate postwar RAF bombers because its such an attractive scheme. Especially on the Lincoln. Question is, where will it be operating? Malaya? Kenya? I don't know quite but I have a hunch of what I'll work towards.

Either way, reckon it needs some more gear on it. Most late war lancasters had a asv radar bulge, so that's an obvious one. Fortunately I remembered that my many unbuilt Fujimi B-29s all helpfully come with a styrene fat boy A-Bomb, one half of which looks quite radomesome...

Question is though, front...

Or rear...

Anything aft of that midpoint is bomb bay. Any thoughts, wisdomous modellists? More soon I hope.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Vickers C Bomber

Postby Mig88 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 15:10

I would go for the rear option.
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Sun Aug 20, 2017 20:53

Thanks Miguel. I agree, although I was tempted by the jutting chin you get on RAF Liberators, Wellingtons, Warwicks and Flying Forts, but most of these are Coastal Command things.

I glued on the radome and got a layer of primer on her...

Still some seams to play with...

After a bit more sanding and filling work, these disappeared. I then focused my energies on giving the basic cockpit some basic colours. Quite a pleasing antidote to my Toucan...!

Then I tackled the wings. The engines slot into their grooves very nicely.

Although a bit of filler was still necessary along the underside...

Now a bit of a pause as my Humbrol 165 spray has not turned up and is quite crucial before any further assembly takes place. More tomorrow I hope. Not bad progress for a days work, all in all, I reckon.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:10

Looking better than good. Have to admit that SWMBO would never allow me to pack a kit for the purposes of construction during a family holiday despite the obvious calm that it would bestow on her good husband. Even something as small as a Spitfire or 109. God help me trying to smuggle something this ginormous.

And I reminisced a little when I saw your first photo as it reminded me of my week in Wales whilst completing my PhD through Brunel Uni in 1990. No matter where I went in the north - Clwyd, Conwy, Betws-y-Coed, Wrexham - "it were always raining", just like Denley Moor. ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 20:29

Thanks Smeg! Yes it's pretty iffy weather up here. The cottage is about half an hour from Betws nearish Conway. Beautiful part of the world but you have to take your opportunities when you get them - good weather tomorrow so I've planned a pretty epic walk with many peaks. Incidentally my wife does lots of painting so I get plenty of man-time when I'm up here - otherwise I'd never take something like this away with me!

Digression. The Humbrol 165 arrived so I gave everything several coats of that.

Then I got on and had a frantic heavily caffeinated masking session...

I sprayed the fuselage first...

It took several coats before I was happy.

But it all worked out quite nicely I think...

Except that a treacherous piece of masking tape lifted... :cry:

(Note to self: less caffeine with your masking please)

Sanded and remasked for medium sea grey again. All good!

Universe is back in balance etc. I set to on the wings next...

Again quite a few coats but these behaved well - a few tiny touch-ups required. Construction could finally proceed...

I've decided to leave the canards off until I've got the u/c and other things on first. Just asking to be knocked off. But that leaves me here at close of business for today.

I'm already worrying about how I transport this home on the train next week... hmmm. Didn't entirely think this one through!

Thanks for looking - more on Friday I hope.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mark_W » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:30

Looking great! Very interesting project.

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Postby smeg1959 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 22:59

On the train? I'm afraid you and your Other Half may have to be in separate carriages ... can't see more than one human squeezing in with this Big Bird! :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Mon Dec 17, 2018 23:33

After an embarrassing pause for... er ... research and development? I am cracking on with this again. My daughter swiped this off my shelf about six months ago and the fuselage split in two and a wing came off.

It took me a while to resolve this but much longer to summon the enthusiasm to do so.

Still. Glued, sanded and resprayed and we are back on track.

Undercarriage on. I spent quite a lot of time trying to ensure that all six wheels rested on the ground. Delighted when they did.

Meanwhile my bench is a chaos of contraprops...(that’s the correct collective noun I think!)

More soon. Into the decals now.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby BigReg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57

Where will you display this one Angus?
David
BigReg
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star