Lippisch P.20A/B/N (Jach)

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.

Lippisch P.20A/B/N (Jach)

Postby Mig88 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 22:44

Hello everyone

As mentioned a few weeks ago in the "1/144 News" section, I was considering doing a WIP on the Jach kits of the Lippisch P.20. I actually started working on these kits a week later but real life has made progress slow and only now do I have something to show so here it goes.

P20 WIP01.JPG

The Lippisch P.20 was basically a jet-powered Me 163 Komet re-design to adapt the concept to turbojet propulsion. The design was made in April 1943 but never left the drawing board. Jach released two boxings of this kit, both with two kits per box, one for a P.20A/B day fighter and the other for the P.20N nightfighter. I deduce the difference between the A and B models is that the latter variant can carry a wire-guided X-4 missile under each wing, both being able of carrying drop tanks. The nightfighter variants are distinguished as N1 and N2, the difference being the type of radar carried, the N1 with nose antlers and the N2 with a "solid" blister type, both carrying either drop tanks or X-4 missiles. The schemes offered are suspiciously similar to those proposed in their earlier Ta 183 and Me P.1101 kits. I would have to check but I think the decal sheet is very similar, if not the same, too. In fact one of the sprues is common to those kits so you get spare wheels and drop tanks, etc.

I've decided to build all four at the same time each one representing a different variant with the following layouts:
P.20A - clean (no pylons and drop tanks)
P.20B - 2 X-4 missiles
P.20N1 - 2 drop tanks
P.20N2 - asymmetric load of 1 drop tank and 1 X-4 missile
I haven't decided the schemes I'll apply to each yet.

Built out of the box, these kits would be relatively quick builds with the only major hurdle being the matter of nose weight to avoid tail sitting. Sadly though, under the clear transparency there is no cockpit so I decided to add something there, nothing too detailed or complicated but enough to see something under the canopy. I found a schematic (see below) showing the position of the pilot over the engine and used this as a guide.

P20 WIP02.jpg

Therefore, I first opened up a hole in the cockpit area and then made some tabs from plastic card which I glued to the insides of the wing roots to help support the cockpit floor.

P20 WIP03s.jpg

The cockpit floors were then made from plastic card too and glued onto the tab of one of the fuselage halves. Upon checking alignment I realised that in some cases the tabs from each side didn't match and the floor holds well just one side so I'll be shortening or cutting the unused tabs. I strengthened the bonds with superglue and that's it so far.

P20 WIP04s.jpg
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Lippisch P.20A/B/N (Jach)

Postby Mig88 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 15:14

WIP update

Progress has been slow due to finishing my other kit (the Breda Ba.65) and real life matters. Taking advantage of some holidays I've managed to advance things a bit. Keep in mind that every thing I do has to be done 4 times because of the 4 kits I'm working on, so it takes longer!

P20 WIP05s.jpg

Anyhow, the first progress was in making side and rear walls for the cockpits with plastic card as seen above.

P20 WIP06s.jpg

Once this was done, I started gluing lead balls (slightly crushed) in front and below the cockpit. I made a dry-build of one of the kits and, surprisingly, this seems to be more than enough to avoid a tail-sitter. In all cases, I'll be adding a couple of smaller lead balls through the nose after gluing the fuselage halves together, for extra measure.

As far as the cockpit is concerned, I'll be adding a seat and maybe an instrument panel and stick, but that will be once the fuselage halves are built.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 19:55

WIP update

Once again, progress has been slow due to real life matters and the fact that I'm working on 4 kits which multiplies all the work by 4.
The main components, fuselage halves, wings and nose have been assembled. In the photo below you can see my "pit" for the cockpit.

P20 WIP07s.jpg

With a little cleaning up of the join in the area of the tail in the tail-less fuselage half you get a good overall join of the fuselage halves, needing just a little bit of sanding to clean it up. There are two spots that definitely need some filler: the tail underside behind the jet exhaust and the nose underside join forward of the nosewheel bay (both shown with a red arrow below). I used superglue in both areas.

P20 WIP08s.jpg

The wings are butt joins and are slightly thinner than the wing roots on the fuselage parts so more sanding along the wing roots to blend the join. The nose part is also an imperfect fit though I managed to get it better in some of the kits. No filler just sanding to blend the parts here. Any thin gaps were filled with Kristal Klear.

P20 WIP09s.jpg

These photos were taken before I fixed the joints. The kits are in fact further along and I should be posting another update very soon.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 20:33

I’ve been quietly enjoying this thread from the seats at the back. Those are coming together well! I have to admire your discipline building four simultaneously. Do you ever find it tedious repeating the same thing four times over? I just find myself wanting to race ahead to the next stage with the one I have in my hands.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:44

I agree. I did build three Avengers for the "Over the Water" GB and managed to complete all three together, albeit that one was subsequently demolished by a collapsing shelf. However, I tried a side-by-side build of a pair of Eduard Spitfires in a subsequent GB and we all know how successful that was. What adds to Miguel's current quartet is JACH's complete lack of locating pins. I've had some trial fun runs with their DFS 230 and Ta 183 kits, so appreciate carefully alignment is essential whilst the adhesive is still flexible enough to permit movement. Doing four at once ... sheesh, enough to make you go gaga. :shock:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 22:10

WIP update

Thanks for your comments and interest. Yes working on four kits can be tedious. I'd rather work on two at a time at most (though I have done three!). Fortunately, cleaning up the joints was spread along four days with one kit a day as I didn't have much more time available. There is an advantage to all this though as I manufacture extra bits and parts (like seats) in series which is sometimes much more helpful than trying to do same things months or years later.

P20 WIP10s.jpg

Anyhow, back to the kits. Here you can see my series manufacture of ejection seats made from scrap resin and plastic card. The belts were made from thin strips of Tamiya masking tape and the headrests from a blob of Kristal Klear. In the cockpits I've added a piece of plastic card to represent an instrument panel and cover the cut and join of the fuselage halves. I've added a little piece of plastic card on top of the coaming so it wouldn't be so flat.

P20 WIP11s.jpg

Here's nosey!! The N2 solid radar isn't a great fit. I admit I didn't do much checking and glued it on almost as it came. Getting it correct in all axes is tricky. It still looks a bit off on this kit when seen from the front. The seam/gap was filled with Kristal Klear to blend the part with the fuselage.

P20 WIP12s.jpg

The finished cockpit all painted RLM66 and with the seat painted and glued in place. In the end I haven't added a stick as I was certain I wouldn't really see it once the canopy was glued in place. Nevertheless, the work I've put in is worth it as it makes a difference and the canopy is quite clear so the result is really visible.

More soon...
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 16:12

WIP update - Undercarriage

Once again my hopes for rapid progress were dashed by having family over for Christmas and due to the amount of work the undercarriage gave me, as usual multiplied by four!

P20 WIP13s.jpg

Firstly though a quick mention that the fit of the canopy is good. Any tiny gap will be gone with paint. You can't really see it in the photos but the work in the cockpit was really worth it as it is visible.

P20 WIP14s.jpg

Here you can see two of the four kits sitting perfectly on their own feet. My estimate for nose weight was correct. These birds actually look very cool!! A word of mention about the pylons. The mating surface is flat and making them a little concave will improve their join to the wing undersurfaces. I didn't give enough but I got away with it filling any gaps with Kristal Klear.

P20 WIP15s.jpg

Now the undercarriage. The first thing is that there are no holes as such for the legs but dimples to call them something so I widened and deepened them a bit. The next thing is that the main u/c legs are VERY thick, actually thicker than the wings themselves!!! The more intrepid among you could (and should) replace them completely. Faced with all the work involved I used them as they came with some adjustments: the top ends were narrowed slightly to insert into the "holes" in the wings and the tabs for the wheels were shortened and thinned considerably as they were way too thick and long. The nose wheel didn't need any work.

P20 WIP16s.jpg

The other thing concerns the doors which are also very thick and benefit from thinning. I was successful with the main wheel doors but not so with those of the nose u/c. In fact, on one, one of the rear doors pinged into oblivion so I had to make new ones from plastic card which looked better. On top of that, the front nose u/c door is way too long and cutting it to just under half the length (yes, that much!!) is necessary. The outer main doors also have to be shortened by about 0.5mm at the top ends or else they'll be scraping the ground!

P20 WIP17s.jpg

Finally, the instructions give no indications as to the correct layout of the undercarriage so I used the three-view illustration I posted at the beginning as a guide. By the way, the jet exhaust part does fit without any trimming. It's just a matter of sliding it in sideways and then turning it upright against the wall inside.

Hopefully, it won't be that long before the next update!!
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 22:12

WIP update - Last bits before painting

Before I can get on with painting, I wanted to add the guns and a wing tip probe. The guns are, not surprisingly, oversize but faced with remaking 8 guns I decided to stick to the kit's guns (no pun intended!). Once again, they were intended to be glued to small dimples in the wing roots. I opened these up, enlarging them and cutting away enough to get them to "sit" in place. Despite their size, they don't look too bad.

P20 WIP18s.jpg

The painting and markings instructions have a wingtip probe illustrated so I decided to add one. Yet, the instructions show the probe on one side on the underside view and on the other side on the top view!! The 3-view illustration I have been using as a guide doesn't show any probe so I made a hole in the wing leading edge as per the underside view and added a probe from stretched sprue.

P20 WIP19s.jpg

Now, all four are ready for painting. I've already decided on the schemes and none are following the kit's options although I will be using the kit's decals. The P.20A will use the same colours as in option 1 but the underside will be with the Sky variant of RLM76 and the nose and tips will be in black corresponding to JG53's Reich defence band colour (I don't see any other way of painting it on this plane!). The P.20B will be of JG27 but in natural metal except for the Reich colour which is RLM25 Grün. For the P.20N1 I'm going for a standard nightfighter scheme of overall RLM76 with RLM74 mottling (like option 3 but different patterns) and the P.20N2 would be black undersides with RLM82 and 83 top surfaces (like a certain one-seater nightfighter Me 262A) with the nose and wingtips in red.

I've already started working on the underwing stores and I'll be making comments about them in the next update.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48

Looking great. The guns look absolutely fine to me. Very nice.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47

These will look great posed next to a Komet or two.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to 1/144 "What If?"