Fairchild/BAe A-10K Thunderbolt GA.1

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.

Fairchild/BAe A-10K Thunderbolt GA.1

Postby nils » Mon Jul 23, 2018 20:17

Back Story:

After "Operation: Granby" (Desert Storm) in 1991, it came clear to the RAF that Close Air Support provided by Tornado, Jaguars & Buccaneers was inefficient, the aircraft were too fast and didnt have a lot of loiter time over the battlefield. with eyes on potential future conflics, the Royal Air Force needed an aircraft that can cover Royal Army troops over the battlefield for longer periods of time and with sufficient firepower to provide longer term support.

to provide CAS, the RAF already ordered the updated Harrier GR.5/7, but the aircraft lacked the range and was vulnerable to ground fire.
after an evaluation, the American Fairchild (Boeing) A-10 Thunderbolt seemed like the ideal aircraft, not only did it have a longer lioter time and payload then the Harrier, it also provided the pilot with more cockpit armour. however, due to the aircraft being out of production for a number of years, the RAF was forced to buy secondhand aircraft. in total, the order consisted of only 20 airframes, as these were all the USAF had in storage as surplus. British Aerospace made some modifications to the aircraft to tailor them to RAF operational requirements. the refueling boom reciever was removed and replaced with a retractable IFR probe on the starboard side of the cockpit. the pylons were also modified to carry british ordanance. all A-10K Thunderbolt GA.1's are operated by 20 (AC) Squadron, basad at RAF Wittering. in 2014, all aircraft were upgraded to the GA.2 standard.

the Model:

the model is a Revell 1/144 A-10A Thunderbolt II, decals are from a Revell Harrier GR.7, stenciling is from a Heller A-10 kit.
weapons have been gathered from the spares box and a Revell Tornado GR.1A kit.
since the revell kits landinggear is quite innacurate, its built in a wheels-up version.

on the bench:
-JAS-39 Gripen Upgrade project

planned:
-Airbus A400M (Belgian AF)
-Airbus A321 (Belgian AF)
nils
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Re: Fairchild/BAe A-10K Thunderbolt GA.1

Postby BigReg » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29

I like the idea behind this model and the model it self. To me the A10 looked its meanest in dark colours, maybe the short lived two greens seen on Harriers?
David
BigReg
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Postby ajmm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 19:51

V cool. I enjoyed that. Nice one nils.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13

Great work, nils. Excellent back story, too. ;)

I've been wading through my stash of 1970's and 1980's aviation magazines and some items we would classify as "What Ifs" here could well have been reality if certain decisions had been made or contracts been signed. As an Aussie, I'm intrigued to read what aircraft the RAAF was contemplating as a potential successor to the Mirage III. Must try and find the article but I do recall one possibility being the Panavia Tornado. The F-15 was also mentioned.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to 1/144 "What If?"