Heinkel He 219A-6 "Mosquito-Jäger" (Mark I conv.)

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.

Heinkel He 219A-6 "Mosquito-Jäger" (Mark I conv.)

Postby Mig88 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 20:53

Hello everyone!

My new workspace is finally ready and although I was going to start work on the Wessex for the RAF centenary group build, I decided to start this project first which has been buzzing round my head for some months and for which I bought another copy of Mark I Models' He 219A-5, all as a result of reading the Valiant Wings book on this aircraft.

Uhu W01.JPG

This project is to convert the He 219A-5 into an A-6 "Mosquito-Jäger". Since it was never built it is clearly in the "What-if?" category. On reading the book I had the image of an unpainted natural-metal finished machine (as with a Bf 109G-6 prepared for hunting Mosquitoes which had its paint removed).

Uhu W02.JPG

Basically it's building the kit as it comes without the radar aerials in the nose and without the flame dampeners. The tricky bit will be to manufacture the exposed engine exhausts

Uhu W03.JPG

I've started work on the kit today and it's going to give some more work as the parts have a lot of flash and there's an ejection pin mark in the cockpit that needs to be filled.

I will get on with the Wessex in a week or two once this one has hopefully pushed well ahead. I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist it ;) !

Cheers

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Heinkel He 219A-6 "Mosquito-Jäger" (Mark I conv.)

Postby Mig88 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 17:50

Some progress. Strangely enough, although the cockpit has been started, the progress so far is in the main wing part. This kit is really giving work. It must be from a later batch as the parts need A LOT of cleaning up. From reviews in magazines it is clear this is not the norm. The plastic is soft which is both good (makes cutting easier) and bad (you can easily cut too much).

Uhu W04.jpg

The first order of things was to open up the various holes on the wing's leading edge, those of the supercharger intakes, the guns and some outer ones as well as that of the landing light which will be replaced by clear sprue sanded to shape. The fit of the nacelles is one of the kit's weak spots and trimming is needed both to fit well and to try and get a more round cross-section instead of an oval one. I managed to screw things up a bit at the rear end and I've got a large gap on one side. Filling and sanding is necessary anyway.

Uhu W05.jpg

Before I joined the nacelles to the main wing I addressed another detail I didn't like. The fuselage spine Peilgerät DF comes as a nice piece of etch which you stick on the fuselage surface... just like that! This was embedded in the fuselage with a clear cover so I opened up the corresponding hole and punched some plastic card to serve as a base.

My big dilemma was how to make the engine exhausts and I think I found a solution. The Eduard Spitfire kits have spare ones which are just about the right size so I'll be using these.

Hopefully, I'll have more to show soon. Thanks for looking.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Sun Oct 07, 2018 19:25

Good thinking on the exhausts. I’ve kept all my spare Eduard exhausts and they have come in handy on other builds.

I don’t know much about this kit but I’m enjoying your build and troubles or not yours is looking great.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 19:27

Thanks a lot, Angus.

The kit is more of a challenge than I expected but I've been having a great time with some long modelling sessions like I haven't had in years :D :D :D :D !

Now for some progress. The cockpit required some work. The rear wall is too far back so I cut it and moved it forward some 4-5mm and made a "false" instrument box top from scrap plastic. The gap below will be useful for putting in some extra weight. I also added a rear nosewheel bay wall underneath. The side panels in the fuselage halves have also had the rear ends cut so that all this will fit without fuss.

Uhu W06.jpg
Uhu W07.jpg

As you can see, the cockpit is an etched affair with nice instrument panels courtesy of Eduard. The fret even comes with belts which I will add once the seats are painted. The stick also comes as an etched part but the plastic part is much better in this case so I used it instead. The front instrument panel comes with holes for the dials. I glued it to a very thin piece of card to give it more strength, with the intention of painting the dials black and filling them with either Kristal Klear or gloss varnish.

Uhu W08.jpg

Finally, I made another missing hole: that of the leading edge on the starboard side of the tailplane.

Thanks for looking.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59

Will certainly watch this one as it comes together, Miguel. And great to see that your modelling flame is burning brightly again! When things went "pear-shaped" both on and off the workbench over the past year, I found my enjoyment factor diminishing markedly. However, as my recent completions in the Group Build reached fruition, that old modelling bug was biting again. Now I'm finding myself planning tasks like masking and conversions whilst standing on crowded trains at peak period! :)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby BigReg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:55

Some good work going on here.'Standing on trains'? We don't even have a bus service here. Us poor old pensioners with our free bus passes have drive or walk.
David ;)
BigReg
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Postby Mig88 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 15:17

Thanks Smeg and David. I've got a one and a half hour trip to work: walking to the station, riding the train and walking from the station to my job! Plenty of time to think about things... when I'm not too tired and am just listening to music ;) !
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 20:37

The cockpit is now complete. I had almost missed the control pedals and that's why they weren't present in the previous photo of the cockpit. Anyhow, here are three shots of the completed cockpit.

Uhu W09.jpg
Uhu W10.jpg
Uhu W11.jpg

Despite being indicated so in the instructions, the rear seat did not have shoulder harnesses as the rear crew member had to bend forward to look into the radar scope, another detail missing in the kit. I haven't added one since this variant wouldn't have had the radar (ok, I realised too late). Anyhow the rear crew member would serve as navigator and check the six in case a Mosquito fighter was hunting the hunter (well, that's my excuse anyway!).

Uhu W12.jpg

This shot shows how the cockpit sits in one fuselage half.

Uhu W13.jpg

Lastly, I have already opened holes and added the spare Eduard Spitfire exhaust racks. It's important to get the main wing advanced as it's easier fixing joints etc. without the fuselage in the way.

Thanks for looking.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41

A matter of weight!

The He 219 is a notorious tail-sitter. I only managed to get my third 1:72 kit standing without any aid behind (though the first kit didn't really count as it was in my early years). Everyone talks about putting weight "in the nose". The truth is the secret with tricycle landing gear is to put weight forward of the line of the main wheels and to check the sit by balancing it on this line. Obviously the further forward the weight the better but with the He 219 it's just not possible.

Uhu W14.jpg

With the He 219 you HAVE to pack weight in three places. The first is right behind the cockpit all the way to the main undercarriage line. Here I've glued a piece of sprue behind the lead balls to help hold the whole thing together just in case. Considering the amount of superglue applied I doubt it's going to move ;) !

Uhu W15.jpg

The other two places are inside the two engine nacelles which I have packed full with lead balls.

I've already checked and the plane definitely tips forward. The twin tails behind are compensated in front by the engine faces. Except for the main undercarriage doors, all the remaining parts are added forward so I've managed to make it work in 1:144 as I did in 1:72 :D !

Thanks for looking.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby F_IV » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:28

Impressive detailing. The cockpit looks wonderful!
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to 1/144 "What If?"