Mitsubishi J4M Senden "Luke" (A&W)

Add your "What if" whiffry and modelling mischief here. From Luft 46 and other "paper" projects to your own crazy ideas and off-the-wall creations, rehashes, etc.

Mitsubishi J4M Senden "Luke" (A&W)

Postby Mig88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 15:51

Hello everyone

While my RB-45C in the Cold War GB is entering its final stages albeit with a setback which I have finally overcome, I decided to start something else. My initial plan was to tackle a Mark I Mirage III but this one barged in and I'll be dealing with the Mirage after Summer ;) !

While killing some time and looking through my stash I decided to tackle this Japanese paper project since it seemed simple and required little research. The Mitsubishi J4M Senden (Flashing Lightning) was to be a land-based high-performance interceptor for the IJN but the project was shelved before any prototype was built since the Kyushu J7W was favoured by the Navy. Despite this, the Allies gave it the reporting name "Luke".

The A&W kit comes with a small number of resin parts and a clear part and some decals. The kit was manufactured by Anigrand and although most parts are clean, with no flash and no air bubbles (that I have seen), there are some moulding flaws along the wing edges and along the bottom of the fuselage part that have to be dealt with. The instructions are typical Anigrand (ie minimal) and with a lot of text in Japanese on both sides of the A4 sheet.

J4M-01.jpg
J4M-02.jpg

On displaying the parts I realised I've got an extra main u/c leg! The fuselage part is solid so there is no chance of putting in any weight and I doubt you could put enough. It's a definite tail-sitter. I'll be gluing the finished kit it to a printed base.

J4M-03.jpg

A Japanese Vampire! On cleaning up the main parts I managed to make a quick assembly of the aircraft. Unfortunately, I got one of the booms a bit off. I tried to correct it under hot water and it snapped but in a good place (just behind the wing) which has allowed me to glue it properly. Now comes the tiresome part of dealing with the joints and the moulding flaws of the wings... :roll:

Thanks for looking

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Mitsubishi J4M Senden "Luke" (A&W)

Postby bluedonkey99 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 21:03

Mig

A&W produce a wide range of mainstream and experimental aircraft that are very interesting, though often seemingly expensive. It would be interesting to acquire more, I obtained the Mitsubishi Ki-1 & Ki-2 being based on Junkers designs - but they cost too much and waiting for availability on HLJ runs the risk of the tax man. Oh, and I still haven't resumed building.

The A&W webpages are out of date and all over the place, though their twitter tantalises with new A&W releases (esp Sea Planes for Peter) https://www.facebook.com/AW-models-360825874003189/

I look forward to what you choose to do with this specimen!

This is representative of what can be done with a Senden "Luke", if you're not too concerned with accuracy - this is based upon one of the Canvas/Canbus plastic Gachapon (actually came in the plastic balls) that ...
Robertos 'Germanised" Senden : https://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/2008/08/1144-remodel-by-rkm.html

here is a photo from some 13 Years ago listing the aircraft in the series: https://kampfgruppe144.blogspot.com/2006/01/1144-canvas-japanese-late.html

PS: as often with Anigrand - if you have 3x undercarriage, so poor person out there is missing another ! (probably Smeg)?

BD99
Attachments
Canvas144.jpg
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05

Will definitely watch this thread with interest, Miguel. I've got the yellow Senden, one of half a dozen Canvas purchases I made through Starjet on evilBay over a decade ago. Whilst a lot more refined than, say, Furuta and definitely 1/144 scale, the series was still on the basic side detail-wise. In keeping with my propensity for "wheels down" builds, I've been meaning to add an undercarriage to my Senden but never quite gotten around to it. And, of course, a cockpit. Revisiting Roberto's beautiful reworking inspires me to pull the digit out and attend to these things. One day. :roll:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12

Thanks a lot BD99 and Smeg for the info and comments. Those Germanized kits look great. Sorry I didn't reply before but I finished the RB-45 and although the J4M progressed, I just didn't have time to post anything before going away on my summer holidays.

Despite the fact that IJN aircraft have little in variety of schemes and markings I'll be finishing mine as an operational IJN machine. It's funny but I'll be doing something along the lines of the green option of those Canvas kits with a lightning bolt. I have some left overs from Sweet's Rufe. I'll also be sourcing some decals left over from the Platz N1K2-J kits.

I seem to recall having taken some photos of the kit before the holidays but it seems I have accidentally erased them :roll: ! Anyhow, after fixing the joints I painted up the cockpit without fuss, only painting on some belts and not adding anything. The canopy was a good fit with just some small gaps to fill.

J4M-04.jpg

All (3) main u/c legs had the bottom section twisted to one side. I managed to fix them without cutting off the section by making a cut deep enough to allow me to twist it in line with the rest of the leg. The cut was then filled with CA glue. Like this the legs remain strong. The other matter I had to deal with was the guns. The kit only comes with something representing a gun detailed on the port side which didn't look good and nothing for the remaining two guns on the starboard side. I removed this detail and deepened the gun trough on the port side (above) and made two more on the other side using some plans as a reference (below).

J4M-05.jpg

Sorry the photos aren't good. I took them late last night after returning from work :oops: !
The kit is now in the painting stage.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 19:19

Painted and glossed!

The painting is done and the kit has received a couple of coats of Revell acrylic gloss varnish in preparation for the decals which I hope to apply tomorrow.

J4M-06.jpg
J4M-07.jpg
J4M-08.jpg

Hopefully I'll be finishing the kit before the weekend.
Thanks for looking

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47

The end isn't far!

I've applied the decals. The kit supplies only roundels and these are too light in tone so I didn't use them. The decals therefore came from various (spares) sources: the lightning bolts from Sweet's Rufe, the fuselage roundels from a Sweet Zero sheet and the rest from a Platz N1K2 sheet, including the white bands on the tailfins. It really looks great! Meanwhile, since the kit is a tail-sitter, I have prepared a small base to glue it to using a tarmac I printed on an adhesive sheet and some thick card I brought from work.

J4M-09.jpg
J4M-10.jpg

Some assembly required! Above, the parts remaining to bring together. Firstly the plane and the propeller need to be given matt varnish and some weathering. The piece of painted stretched sprue is for the 30mm cannon that will then be cut to the right length and glued in place at the end. I used CA glue at the tip to build the muzzle. The base is ready. It's small because I want just enough for the kit to stand but still allowing me to look underneath if I want to. I forgot to mention I tried some brushed-on pre-shading before painting and it actually came out nicely in some areas especially on the underside.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55

That's looking great, Miguel. The Anigrand connection with A&W is so evident when you look at the parts, the resin used and even the instructions. Pity they cost so much as there are a few I wouldn't mind having.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 17:26

Thanks Smeg.

Indeed! I have just one more A&W kit in my stash, the Mitsubishi Ki-83 long-range heavy fighter. There are other kits I would have been interested in but now I just can't afford them.

Anyhow, the kit is almost finished. Just a quick update on the 30mm cannon. I had to make a new one as the first one (in the previous posting) was too thin. Here it is glued to the kit.

J4M-11.jpg

I just have to check there is nothing more to retouch and glue to the base and it will be done. Final photos soon.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47

Finished!

Here it is with a little weathering and glued to a simple base so it won't sit on its tail!
Since I used N1K2-J markings, it represents a machine from the 407th Fighter Squadron, 343rd Naval Flying Group, Matsuyama Air Base, in late 1945 replacing the N1K2-Js of the unit (all fictitious of course ;) ).

0370-01.jpg
0370-02.jpg
0370-05.jpg
0370-07.jpg
0370-11.jpg
0370-14.jpg
0370-17.jpg
0370-18.jpg
0370-20.jpg

It was a nice little project and now something different... another WIP but in the Aviation forum ;) .

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Ryan B. » Mon Sep 16, 2019 17:13

What a lovely, graceful aircraft. Very well done!
Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288

Next

Return to 1/144 "What If?"