Registration Problems

New Joiners, plus new forum features, functions and questions!

Registration Problems

Postby bluedonkey99 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 20:48

To those people awaiting activation, or a response to their application to join the board.

Please be aware there are problem with the board being swamped with spam applications - currently 100+ a day.
It is obviously hard to identify all who are genuine with such numbers (I also have day job etc...)

If you are someone who is having trouble, or know someone who is having trouble please contact me.
Alternatively reapply, you will be allowed one post to announce yourself before the moderators activate your account.

apologies for this, but everything was ok last year and this year everything has gone crazy this year.

BD99 & Moderators
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Registration Problems

Postby wmosner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 22:39

Thank you very much for getting me in.
Bill
wmosner
Flight #5
Flight #5

Postby bluedonkey99 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 15:07

I have since upgraded the forum to the latest version of the phpBB software, this includes some additional anti spamBOT features.

I have also adjusted some of the other registration features to make it easier for people to sign-up, but now using 'reCAPTCHA' from Google as part of the sign-up process.

This will mean that there is still a chance that people will still spam the forum. To be honest, if these people are prepared to waste their life by physically signing up to every forum they spam then thre is little that can be done to stop them.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how we go.....
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machinehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 17:50

Looks like a whole lot of spammers/bots have already joined. What do they do, lie in waiting for an opportunity?
machinehead
JV 144
JV 144

Postby bluedonkey99 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 20:07

Its a real pain in the a**
The captcha are meant to keep out the bots.
To be honest, it has cut down the number spam registrations.....

As we can see there are guys stillg etting through, some have even added avatars!?

I dont want to shut off the forum to new members, so the issue is how to handle it?
Its seemed to have got worse in last 3 months!

:(
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby machinehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 20:39

Is there a feature in the forum software that allows you to manually verify their registration before they can be allowed to post? That way anyone can still register but only be allowed to post on your say so.
machinehead
JV 144
JV 144

Postby bluedonkey99 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 20:58

There is, thats what we were running since Christmas and it just ended up with a back log of 1500 spammer to be vetted!!
so, no better off!

I have tried one last throw of the dice regarding additional profile questions for new registrations, it appears that this *may* help throw the spambot software off its track a little.... lets see..

of course, anyone or anything determined enough will still get through!
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Russ » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:15

Thats about 25-30 per day... Well, if you need some help vetting, I can do some - have been a moderator on other forums, just need to hit the learning curve.

Maybe what is needed is to request the new registrant submit a minimum sized essay about why they would like to join the group, thier modeling experience and the other hobbies in thier lives. Something requiring just a dab of patience and creativity.

My humorous (less) side might also suggest a multiple choice questionnaire using picture associations... like which way does a Rutan Vari-eze (or J7w1 Shinden) move through the air? ;)

R
Russ

Postby bluedonkey99 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:34

Russ

I think expanding the number of moderators isnt a bad idea.
I the essay option etc is difficult, as not everyones first language is English!?
The new registration process requires a set of questions that a spambot unlikely to be able to answer :lol:
Lets see if we get new registrations!?

The good news however (famous last words) is that since the last set of changes yesterday, there have a) been no actual spammers getting through, and b) the legions of false registrations have stopped.

So, it would appear that the google captcha and or phpBB user registration process still has some vunerabilities........

BD99
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pbhawkin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:09

ANd what about suspicious test posts like the one from dannydaniello
viewtopic.php?f=14&p=2554#p2554
someone who joins that many forums in a day (or two) is VERY likely to be about to push something!
How do the number/letter verification systems work? You know where a random combination is displayed and the user has to type it in before proceeding (your own blog has this for anyone who comments as does Ebay for asking sellers questions.
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Next

Return to Welcome & New Forum Features