Fairy Kikaku Breda Ba.65

What's in the box and is it any good?

Fairy Kikaku Breda Ba.65

Postby Mig88 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 18:44

The Breda Ba.65 was Italy's only ground-attack aircraft at the beginning of the World War II. It was intended also as a fighter but experience in the Spanish Civil War put it firmly in the attack role.

This is one of those minor aircraft that are hardly served by kits in any scale and in our beloved scale the Fairy Kikaku resin kit is the only game in town. Although they are not very inspiring kits (more anon) we must thank Fairy Kikaku and Kami de Korokoro (I believe they are connected) for making the only kits in this scale of certain minor types and at a reasonable price. The downside unfortunately is the quality...

Ba65-1.jpg

The kit comes in a transparent bag with the parts in smaller bags inside and a sheet with minimum hand-drawn... indications (rather than instructions). The resin is of a whitish colour and hardly has any air bubbles but has a lot of flash. This is not a kit for the beginner or the faint-hearted.

Ba65-2.jpg
Ba65-3.jpg

The fuselage and wings come in one piece. In my case, one of the tailwings was broken but still attached. It came off when I dropped this part on opening the bag. The panel lines are of the raised variety except those of moving surfaces. The cockpit holes above and below are just voids though honestly little would be seen due to the thick clear parts. I'm probably just going to add a seat backing as from 1:48 kit builds I have seen the cockpit is a tubular affair with little in it, the seat being the most visible part. As can be seen there's a lot of cleaning up to do...

Ba65-4.JPG
Ba65-5.JPG

The kit in itself doesn't consist of many parts and apart from the pair of transparencies, there is an engine, the cowling, the propeller, the main wheels and the tailwheel to add to the main part, all of which also need a lot of cleaning up.

Ba65-6.JPG

The small decal sheet comes with one option for a machine of 159 Squadriglia, 50 Stormo, in North Africa in 1940. These are of the poor resolution kind (á la Miniwing previously). In my case I'll see if I can replace the main markings and the small blue roundels.

Ba65-7.jpg

The instructions barely show one side of the paint scheme and the location of the decals so more information is needed. I found this particular machine in a review of a 1:72 AZ Model kit (the back side of the box shown below). The colours used are Giallo Mimetico 1 on the top surfaces with patches of Verde Mimetico 3 and Grigio Azurro Chiaro undersides. According to the AZ Models instructions, the wingtips are white. A good source for information on WW2 Italian schemes is the STORMO! website.

Ba65-8.jpg

Is it accurate? Length seems to check out fine and wingspan seems to be short by 0.5mm or less but compared to plans it looks quite right to me, with only the tailfin shape being a bit off and needing a little re-shaping. I think its a bit too wide and the top needs to be a little more pointed. The instructions indicate the need add gun barrels to the wing but say nothing of adding struts to the tailwings which can be seen in the front view so that is necessary. There are main struts below the tailplanes but a couple of thinner ones above on each side which might be challenging to reproduce in this scale.

Verdict: it's the only Ba.65 in this scale and fortunately it seems a reasonably accurate kit can be built from it but the parts will need a lot of work to make it happen. Sounds like fun :twisted: !
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Fairy Kikaku Breda Ba.65

Postby smeg1959 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 22:01

Fairy is probably more well known for its myriad of AFV kits, some featuring types that it's nigh on impossible to find details like colour schemes and markings. The company is also known for adorning these AFVs with dreadnought-sized rivets and track assemblies that always come "broken" in two halves. However, Fairy have released a number of resin aircraft kits, including the Curtiss-Wright CW-21B Demon, Curtiss A-12 Shrike, Boeing P-26 Peashooter, IAR 80 and 81, PZL P-23 Karas, Caudron CR.714, Myrsky II and Morane-Saulnier MS.406. Most of the range can be purchased from HLJ. Definitely challenging but can result in neat little replicas. Oh, and I totally agree regarding the decals ... best consigned to the cylindrical filing cabinet.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby F_IV » Sun Sep 24, 2017 13:26

Thanks for the excellent review. The Ba.65 has always seemed oddly beautiful to me. I'm pretty tempted to get one of these and its nice to be able to see what I'd be getting myself into. :D
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 13:35

Good review thanks. I'm tempted by some of the Fairy kits too - the Curtiss Demon and Shrike are up there on my list but I don't know if I'm actually better off trying to improve a 3D printed model rather than one of these. Would love to see a WiP of you tackling this some day!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 14:37

Thank you all. A WIP wouldn't involve much but I'll consider it. I've just started the kit today and I noticed another problem: the tail wings are slanted rearwards and they shouldn't be. I believe it's a bit of confusion with some details on plans that give this illusion. I had to double check to realise that they have to be cut off and re-attached in the right position.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 15:59

I will be doing the WIP. I'll start posting it in the "Aviation & Aircraft" section today or tomorrow.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to 1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section