Whirlybird resin extras - Vulcan canon and Hunter tanks

What's in the box and is it any good?

Whirlybird resin extras - Vulcan canon and Hunter tanks

Postby ajmm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 21:35

A quick few out of the box shots of these resin extras from Whirlybird which I ordered last week. I can't find anything about them online so I thought it might be helpful to anyone who either a) doesn't know these exist or b) doesn't know what you get for your money (...or c) both of the above).

Hunter drop tanks - WBA44002 - £3.50
The 100g drop tanks are really well done. These adorn almost all two seater hunters (I have yet to see a photo of a T7 or T8 with the larger 350gal ferry tanks that the Revell/Mark1 kit provides) as well as the many FR10s and FGA9s that Mark1 currently boxes. You get four per packet and very good value that is too, I think…

And as you can see they are designed to directly fit onto the Revell/Mark1 parts (even including the locating pin holes).

It probably doesn't come out in my photos but the fins are beautifully thin and well rendered. Expect to see these adorning a few Aden-based Hunters in the coming week…

Vulcan SUU-23 Canon Pod - WBA44003 - £3.00
The canon pod was fitted to various Phantoms, from memory the earlier marks on which a canon was omitted altogether on the principle that most air-to-air combat would be with missiles and pilots would rarely ever get close enough to engage in an old-fashioned shoot out. Vietnam disproved this theory with startling immediacy. The Vulcan pod was, I think, intended as a stopgap only (later Phantoms fitted with a faired in Vulcan in the nose) but is a prominent feature on early-mark Phantoms.(Disclaimer: this is from an increasingly unreliable memory).

The pod is as well-rendered as the drop tanks, note the join between pylon and pod and also the super-thin deflector hood to prevent the muzzle flash burning the aircraft paint.

Hope that might one day be of use to someone...
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Whirlybird resin extras - Vulcan canon and Hunter tanks

Postby diegoepoimaria » Sun Feb 25, 2018 17:51

Thanks, that's VERY appreciated, I think I'll buy a couple of each ( to be sure :D )
diegoepoimaria
Flight #5
Flight #5

Postby Wege » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33

aha... that last piece of news enables people with F4Es to make this: https://wademeyersstudios.com/workszoom/1399667

:D
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Mon Feb 26, 2018 15:50

Wege that’s awesome. I had no idea they did that. I love the idea of a rogue close air support bird roaming the skies like Clint Eastwood.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to 1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section