F-Toys P-40N vs AFV Club P-40N & M

What's in the box and is it any good?

F-Toys P-40N vs AFV Club P-40N & M

Postby Mig88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09

I am currently doing a WIP of the AFV Club P-40N and M in the Aviation & Aircraft forum here and I ended up looking to the F-Toys P-40N for comparison and as a guide in some aspects. I decided to post this point-by-point comparison here rather than in the middle of my WIP as it would be easier to find. I apologise for the lack of photos of the details but just writing this up takes some time.

P-40N comparison.jpg

As a brief introduction, the F-Toys offering is a typical semi-assembled pre-painted gashapon kit with several parts on two sprues. The AFV Club offering comes in a bag and contains a large sprue with the parts and a small clear sprue with the canopy, the P-40N bag with the N-type canopy and the M with its corresponding part. Although the main sprue is identical, the canopies are not offered as optional.

Overall: Both kits are of more or less the same dimensions and outline. I haven't checked against plans (sorry) but seem to look right. Ribbing in the F-Toys flaps is heavy and must be sanded down whereas AFV has them much more subtle. The AFV wing has a hole for unmentioned and unknown purposes under each side that has to be filled. The breakdown of main parts on the F-Toys kit is standard with two fuselage halves and the main wings in one part joining at the roots. In the AFV kit, you also have two fuselage halves and one main wing but the join is half-way up the fuselage and the bottom nose section is separate. The join isn't perfect and it is tricky to clean up the join in the nose area due to the moulded-on exhausts.

Nose section: F-Toys - separate exhausts, forward cooling grills present and radiator with inner parts although the dividers should come all the way forward to the lip. AFV - exhausts moulded with the fuselage, no cooling grills and radiator with thick sides and devoid of detail.

Cockpit: F-Toys - floor and instrument panel with some detail, seat included but edges are thick, head armour section is wrong as it should be slanted forwards. AFV - no details nor seat, head armour correct but moulded in two halves with the fuselage. Neither have the headrest moulded.

Canopy: F-Toys - heavy tabs on sides that go up and are visible from outside. AFV CLub - rear end is filled to insert behind rear fuselge section. Two small tabs forward which barely affect the canopy.

Main undercarriage: F-toys - standard separate legs and wheels inserted into the wing. Detail OK. Bays with detail but parallel to fuselage when it should be perpendicular. AFV - moulded as one so link is attached to the tyre! Detail OK. Main wheels are glued to the door part via two tabs (let's see how that works!!). Bays with wrong textured surface. This is easily covered with a coat of varnish or paint.

Tailwheel: F-toys - separate part, detail OK. AFV - moulded to one fuselage side (so is slightly to one side), less detailed. A bit smaller than that of F-Toys but I can't tell which is correct. The problem with the AFV part is that it is easy to bend back while handling the fuselage (I have done it!!). Fortunately the plastic is strong.

Propeller: F-Toys - comes in two parts with the spinner separate from the blades. AFV - one-piece moulding. Both look fine though the tip of the AFV spinner seems to be too sharp. The only negative comment is that the AFV part has a nasty sprue attachment point which is tricky to clean up with high risk of bending one of the blades.

Radio mast: Present on F-Toys but missing on AFV Club.

Drop tank: Surprisingly not included in the F-Toys kit (!!!) but AFV does have one although the link to fuselage is wrong since it should be held by a kind of cradle. Beware, sometimes they were carried the other way round with the narrow tip forward.

In conclusion: The F-Toys kit is better in terms of detail and less work involved. The lack of drop tank is a serious omission. The AFV Club requires a lot more work when it comes to the N variant but on the plus side is that they cover the M variant thanks to a part for the rear section of the cockpit and corresponding canopy and from this kit you can make the long fuselage F, K and L variants as well as the early Ns which can only be distinguished from Ms by their serial number. The M requires some extra work as the head armour as it comes is correct only for the N. Cutting the part and slanting it backwards covering the gap behind fixes this. For more information on the work involved on the AFV Club kits check out my WIP.

This comparison has been done a bit on the go and I may have overlooked something so I welcome any comments and corrections. I hope this is of help.

Cheers

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: F-Toys P-40N vs AFV Club P-40N & M

Postby ajmm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 21:39

Interested that the fuselage wing fit was tricky on the AFV. It was really poor on the F-Toys and required a lot of filler and sanding applications.

Thanks for the comparison. That’s really helpful.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby F_IV » Wed Jan 16, 2019 23:45

Big thanks from me too. I’ve got a couple of both and hope to make a start on them this year. It would be interesting to do a measured survey of each kit to check their accuracy. I’m not sure, but I was a little bit sceptical about the F-Toys fuselage cross section. It looks a little bulbous forward of the canopy. :?
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03

You are both welcome!

Angus, in that case, the AFV kit is much better as I didn't need any filler. Overall the join wasn't too bad and on most of the fuselage it was easy to clean up but in the nose area both the wing part and the engine part had a little bit of a step and it was tricky to clean up as the exhausts are moulded on and I was trying not to damage them.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41

Addendum

I've had a moment to check up both kits with the only three-view I have at the moment and they vary in width in the fuselage. The F-Toys kit seems to be a little wider and the AFV Club kit a little on the narrow side. It's not by much in both cases but I think the F-Toys kit is closer... but that's my impression ;) !
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Ryan B. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 18:35

Thanks for addressing the comparison! Though I think modifying either one to a -F or -L , with the differently dimensioned noses might be more difficult than assumed.
Ryan B.
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby Mig88 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 22:28

Addendum

I've just detected another flaw on both kits: the tail wheel doors should be wide open, almost perpendicular to the fuselage when open and in both they are modelled in the vertical position. It's easier to fix in the F-Toys kit as they come in a separate piece whereas in the AFV Club kit they are moulded with the fuselage halves.

Ryan B. wrote:Though I think modifying either one to a -F or -L , with the differently dimensioned noses might be more difficult than assumed.

I've been looking into that and have been trying to get some plans to check the differences. The Merlin-engined variants seem to have a flatter outline in profile and the flaps behind are longer, starting earlier. The arrangement inside the radiator front is different and although sometimes it seems to be a bit more squared, other times the shape of the mouth seems to be the same. Until I don't take up the challange I'm not sure how difficult it will be...
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 19:00

Addendum

Another one! The AFV Club has a very simplified main undercarriage bay with just a door on the outer side and the little inner door and gap missing. F-Toys have got it right.
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:55

Excellent comparison for we potential buyers. Just when one option looks more accurate, you discover something wrong that the other option got right. Definitely a case of swings and slides.

Many thanks, Miguel. ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby donalyah00 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 22:55

Thank you for such detailed comparison! I have a few odd P-40s in my mind and I just ordered the F-Toys kit to check it against AFV Club offering. :)

Best Regards, Marek
La tête américaine
donalyah00
Flight #144
Flight #144

Return to 1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section