Armory Su-24M Fencer

What's in the box and is it any good?

Armory Su-24M Fencer

Postby Josh1971 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 20:50

Well, I hope to getting some images I can post up, but just a first look in the box left me with these impressions:

I continue to be underwhelmed at weapons detail on kits coming from our brothers east of Europe- the Fab-100s are kind of murky on detail, but you do have etched metal for the rear of the bombs. The Kh-59 missiles do seem like they have some good detail, and the kit comes with 35 or 38 (I'll have to recount) of the iron bombs, plus something that hasn't really been available in 1/144, the Russian MER. That's nice. The kit, for things to hang off and under it, also includes a buddy refueling pod, the giant blimp-like fuel tanks, and some pods that they don't really define the purpose of, whether Reece, GPS or other.

The detail on the fuselage is really good, and the rear section with the engine nozzles is a piece of resin, so that's kind of nice too. The only other resin pieces appear to be the control sticks for the cockpit. Etched metal abounds, and it looks like mostly for missile and fuel tank fins, and the rear part of the bombs. Last word on weapons- I'm not the biggest fan of etched metal, so the pylons they included that have the R-60 missiles molded to them was not that great in my estimation- each of those tiny little fins on the Aphids will be etched metal. Aiyee.....

Canopy looked good, and I like that there even IS a cockpit, based on some of the 1/144 I've built. The overall construction seems like it will be pretty simple, without a lot of "What the...?" kind of moments. But now... to the elephant in the room.

I have to say, I am not a fan of the decision to make two sets of wings so that you can build it EITHER with the wings swept, or extended. Considering every other model of every swing-wing fighter or bomber I have includes a mechanism for actually moving the wings, it's a tad disappointing that I have to choose, and then the aircraft it just... that way forever. I don't know much about Armory, but I really wish they had made it so the wings could be moved.

Decals are so-so, but then, we're kind of spoiled with all the great aftermarket decals we can get. Options for numerous Russian, Ukrainian, and even a Belarus jet are on the sheet. I'm still hoping they release a further version they had mentioned with decals for Iran, Iraq, Sudan, and Algeria.

So for now, until I get some pics and/or start building it, that's my first thoughts and impressions on Armory's new Fencer. It's great to have this kit, because then there is at least one more option than the resin kit. Not perfect, but really good, and I look forward to going into a little debt to get all of these that I want/need (It's need, right?). So for now, I've stocked up on OzMods Russian ASMs, and I'm hoping even if Armory doesn't do the foreign service version, our aftermarket heroes will make some more great decals and details.

Also, side note, and I have a screen shot of this- Armory did not rule out doing weapon sets of the promised sprues that they didn't include in this kit.

Cheers!

Josh
(Who finds it ironic this Fencer arrived on his birthday)
Josh1971
JV 144
JV 144

Re: Armory Su-24M Fencer

Postby Josh1971 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 21:57

Forgot to mention as well, the canopy is nice because you have an option for one piece to depict closed, and three piece for open.
Josh1971
JV 144
JV 144

Postby spejic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 22:32

The problem is that moveable wings make for inaccurate aircraft. In F-14's there are inflatable balloons that come up to fill the area of the fuselage behind the wing when the wings are extended - in models where wings swing this is always deflated. In Tornados there is a gap in the fuselage the wings go into when they are retraced - in models this is always a giant gap and not closed off by flexible sections like real aircraft. And every model has large gaps between the glove and the wing which should be glued down anyway.
1/144 decal templates for home printing: https://sites.google.com/site/planetspe ... -templates
spejic
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby Josh1971 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 23:08

IF you're going for accuracy.
Josh1971
JV 144
JV 144

Postby Josh1971 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:30

I should clarify- I'm not trying to spark an "Accuracy vs fun" thing. I can certainly see that point, that without allowing for the movement of the wings, you'll depict an aircraft much more like it would look in real life. There are a lot of modelers who do that way better than I do. :) But for me, although saving the space on the shelves with the wings swept is nice, sometimes you want to extend them because that looks pretty cool, too.

Happy building, all.
Josh1971
JV 144
JV 144

Postby glehn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:04

I received mine last week and I also was a little disappointed with the fixed wings at first. But I don't usually change the wings position after I finish a model, so I guess that is fine.
As I don't usually put bombs and missiles on my models, I really don't care for the different weapons provided. But there seems to be a lot of them.
I also like the two options for the canopy and the several decal options. Overall I am happy with the kit.

Regards
Luis
glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby Josh1971 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 13:44

glehn wrote:I received mine last week and I also was a little disappointed with the fixed wings at first. But I don't usually change the wings position after I finish a model, so I guess that is fine.
As I don't usually put bombs and missiles on my models, I really don't care for the different weapons provided. But there seems to be a lot of them.
I also like the two options for the canopy and the several decal options. Overall I am happy with the kit.

Regards
Luis

Say... if you ever need a place to send all those bombs and missiles you don't put on your models... ;) Just sayin, I'm here for ya, buddy.

JB
Josh1971
JV 144
JV 144

Postby glehn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:53

Josh1971 wrote:
Say... if you ever need a place to send all those bombs and missiles you don't put on your models... ;) Just sayin, I'm here for ya, buddy.

JB

No problem, Josb. But I just moved from Brazil to Germany and sent all my spare parts box to some friends in Brazil. I still have lots of unbuilt kits that contain bombs and missiles that I will probably never use. When I build one of them I will let you know.
glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Return to 1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section