Mark I Models Dassault Mirage III & 5

What's in the box and is it any good?

Mark I Models Dassault Mirage III & 5

Postby Mig88 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 19:13

As mentioned earlier today, here is a look at what's in the box in Mark I's new Mirage II/5 kits.

M1.JPG
M2.JPG

Four boxings have been released with different sub-types and options but... the sprues are exactly the same for all four with alternate parts included and indicated in the instructions, only the decals and instructions differ.

M3.JPG

As usual with Mark I, the parts come in a sealable bag. The clear part comes in a separate smaller bag. The decals are typical of Mark I and seem in register. I haven't looked at each one and from past experience wouldn't be surprise at finding some a bit off register. An instrument panel is included and the various camera ports for the recce variant also come in the decal sheet.

Moulded in a blue-grey styrene, the parts come in two sprues apart from the clear one. Below the larger one with fuselage halves for both the IIIC (left) and the IIIE (right).

M4.JPG
M5.JPG

Above, the alternate nose parts for the IIIR (in two halves) and the Mirage 5. Nose probes for all variants have to be made from stretched sprue or other.

M6.JPG

Two types of fuel tank are included, the larger one comes in two halves (the other half is in the other sprue). There are also two types of exhaust tubes (not visible here).

M7.JPG

The other sprue with the one-piece wing, weapons, cockpit, undercarriage, etc.

M8.JPG

Zooming in on the missiles available: a pair of AIM-9 Sidewinders and a Matra R530 (more-or-less). Some of the fins are separate.

M9.JPG

The clear sprue which includes the canopy and nose wheel landing light.

Final notes: The engraving is on the heavy side as you can see. The cockpit is a simple affair with floor and rear section to which you glue a seat, stick and instrument panel. There are no lugs or tabs for joining the parts. The tailfin and main wing are nicely thin. I haven't the time to check the main parts with plans put initially it does look like a Mirage! The boxes bring a nice and varied selection of schemes and markings which, all-combined, give:

France: 3x IIIC, 1x IIIE
Switzerland: 1x IIIC, 1x IIIRS
Israel: 2x IIICJ
Argentina: 1x IIICJ
South Africa: 1x IIICZ, 1x IIIRZ
Spain: 1x IIIEE
Belgium: 1x 5BA
Australia: 1x IIIO
Pakistan: 1x IIIEP
UAE: 1x 5AD

The only options available until now were FoxOne's 3D-printed kits. A quick check show both seem to match in overall dimensions. FoxOne does make the two-seater though but I doubt Mark I will release it (shame).

There you have it. These are typical Mark I kits which are more short-run-like and lack the finesse of, say, Eduard kits, with rather soft details but we finally have more readily available kits of the type in our beloved scale and for that much to thank Mark I for, once again. As with previous Mark I kits, I imagine that with a little bit of work, some nice kits can be made.

Cheers

Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Mark I Models Dassault Mirage III & 5

Postby 144flynavy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 0:45

Thanks for the review.

I compared the Mark 1 kit to a Dragon Kfir and a Fox One Mirage IIIS kit (bought on sale at Hobby Link Japan).

Everything matches to my eyeball except the supersonic fuel tanks in the Mark 1 kit. Length is good but they are noticeably thinner circumference-wise than both the Dragon and Fox One supersonic fuel tanks. The Dragon and Fox One tanks match each other.

Really glad Mark 1 included both types of fuel tanks in their kits.

Don't know the accuracy of the Matra R530 in the Mark 1 kit as I have nothing in the stash to compare.

Waiting for Radovan, Czech super 5-STAR eBay seller, to restock the MKM144101 "European Service" kit.

Hope Mark 1 will release a Mirage 2000D/N soon :idea:

Miguel, hope Mark 1 or maybe RetroWings will release a two-seat fuselage for this kit :idea:
144flynavy
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby THF-ADI » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:18

Hi,

thank you for your detailed review.

Just a small addition. The Mirage III was also avaible as an resin kit from FE-Resin, as one and double seater.
Attachments
20190310_063655-1.jpg
THF-ADI
Flight #7
Flight #7

Postby Mig88 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08

Thank you for the comments and info.

Taking a look at the Matra R530 missile I think the rear fins are wrong and have to be re-shaped. They should be more triangular from what I have managed to see from photos in internet.

Releasing the Mirage 2000 would be great and I would like two-seaters (for both). I have FoxOnes's IIIE, IIIC and IIIBE in my stash. I'm glad I didn't buy the IIIR!

I had forgotten about the FE Resin kits. It's been a while now since they ceased to exist and it's easy to forget they had a very extensive catalogue of kits.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:50

Excellent review, Miguel. The panel lines are certainly less refined than on some Mark I kits and I am surprised that a company that literally cut its teeth printing decals has the occasional nasty habit of releasing kits with out-of-register markings. I recently looked at a boxing of the Brewster Buffalo and, yes, the black dot in the middle of the Belgian AF roundels was significantly out of whack.

As I mentioned previously, I worked for the Defence Department here in Oz between 1980 and 1985. During that time, I got to see various items of armament up close and personal, and one of these was the Matra R530. The moment I saw your photo of the R530 on its sprue, I knew something didn't quite look right. Yes, as you rightly state, the rear fins need reshaping. I would add that so do the main fins; the sweep on the real thing appears greater than on Mark I's moulding. I'd need one in my grubby hands to confirm this.

raaf-mirage-iiio-a3-40-1.jpg

Otherwise, look forward to adding one of these to my RAAF stash. Mmmm, maybe two. Like to do an ARDU scheme as well. ;)

Mirage_A3_2_RAAF_Photo.jpg

P.S. Damn and blast. Should have ordered from Radovan whilst I had the chance. He was markedly cheaper than anyone else selling the kits. Predictably all sold. :cry:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 19:31

I agree with you completely Smeg. Maybe the main fins of the Matra missile can pass as I think it's not off by much (if at all) from the photos you've posted.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:56

This schematic should seal the deal ...

R530_Plan.JPG
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby glehn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:24

I have a Matra missile with my Shapeways Mirages also. I wonder if I got it right. I will check against this schematic that smeg posted. I could offer it separately with the tanks, if anybody is interested.
Regards
Luis
glehn
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby 144flynavy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 19:20

glehn wrote:I have a Matra missile with my Shapeways Mirages also. I wonder if I got it right. I will check against this schematic that smeg posted. I could offer it separately with the tanks, if anybody is interested.
Regards
Luis

Luis,
I would be interested in an R530 / fuel tanks set if offered separately.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/BRJFK ... arketplace
Based on the above link, IMHO your R530 looks better than the one in the Mark 1 kit.

Has your shop had any requests for a 1/144 Mirage 2000 D/N?
Thanks,
Joel
144flynavy
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby Mig88 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:03

After completing the Swiss Mirage IIIRS I have a couple of comments to add.

-The Mirage IIIE fuselage halves come with a probe on the tail fin leading edge which does not go on all machines so check your references as instructions make no mention at all of it. The Swiss AF Mirages did not have them but the Spanish AF did.

- In terms of weathering beware. The Swiss IIIRS was brand new in 1965 and the Spanish IIIEE should not be made as worn as they did later in their careers since the kit option is of 1973 and they started entering service in late 1972.

Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to 1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section