Atlas Models diecast Lockheed Hudson

What's in the box and is it any good?

Atlas Models diecast Lockheed Hudson

Postby MichelB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31

So, not having seen any Hudson on this forum before, and scooping up this little kit from Ebay last week, here's a quick what's-in-it-for-me of this one. This model is listed as 'ATLAS models Military giants of the Sky' and set me back 23 pounds, which included 6 for shipping from the UK. It came in a Styrofoam container with transparent sleeve and -oh, buyer, beware!-, the props were bent and one of the wheels and the tail wheel were missing. I'll report it but otherwise build my own gear.

In general it all looks decent, except the nose section which has horrible fit, drooping slightly, probably requiring some metal and plastic sanding.

The kit breaks down easily with two screws fixing the two hull halves sandwiching the wings. The aft screw also fixes the rudder. Both upper and lower hull, the wings and the rudder assembly are metal.

The hull. The painting is decent, even if some of the colors are a little garish: the upper wing roundels have a very purplish sheen to the blue and the green looks 'off'. Scratch near the canopy is mine. There's supposed to be a antenna just aft of the cockpit but that broke off. The hull windows have soft edges, creating sloping wells for the windows (not sure if I put that to words right). Some molded-in MG's.

Small bits. The plastic is thick and bulky, but the painting is neatly done. I like the bulbeous turret! (guess why).
The engines have some inner detail, but it looks more like bicycle's spokes.
The rows of windows are not identical.
The landing gear (what there was...) is very basic, with wheels and struts molded as one (but that's understandable, since it has to carry a relatively heavy weight) and can do with an upgrade.
As to scale: Wiki gives a length of 13.51m, which should be about 9.4 cm in 1:144: the kit does so to with half a mm. Wingspan (should be 13.8cm) ends up at 13.6cm. I can live with that...
Any questions?
MichelB
Flight 10
Flight 10

Re: Atlas Models diecast Lockheed Hudson

Postby F_IV » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48

Thanks very much for posting this. I'm glad to have a chance to see one up close. The Hudson is extremely high on my most-wanted list of kits.
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Baldrick62 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 17:31

Thanks very much for that. I've got 3 of them myself, waiting to be turned into 6 Sqn RAAF birds, but I'm still hanging out for someone to do an injection-moulded example.
Baldrick62
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby smeg1959 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 15:36

Baldrick62 wrote:I've got 3 of them myself, waiting to be turned into 6 Sqn RAAF birds, but I'm still hanging out for someone to do an injection-moulded example.

I share your desire to produce a RAAF Hudson but, like you, the prospect of trying to bring the Atlas example up to scratch isn't the most enticing. The coarseness of this company's diecasts has always been an issue, and most of the Altaya/IXO range were much more refined and workable. Indeed, I found refinishing the Do24 quite a deal of fun. Sadly, Altaya/IXO never included a Hudson in their catalogue.

So a definite "yes please" on an injection moulded Hudson. Oh, and a Boston/Havoc, too. Methinks two possibilities for someone like Mark I.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Baldrick62 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 16:57

smeg1959 wrote:
Baldrick62 wrote:I've got 3 of them myself, waiting to be turned into 6 Sqn RAAF birds, but I'm still hanging out for someone to do an injection-moulded example.

I share your desire to produce a RAAF Hudson but, like you, the prospect of trying to bring the Atlas example up to scratch isn't the most enticing. The coarseness of this company's diecasts has always been an issue, and most of the Altaya/IXO range were much more refined and workable. Indeed, I found refinishing the Do24 quite a deal of fun. Sadly, Altaya/IXO never included a Hudson in their catalogue.

So a definite "yes please" on an injection moulded Hudson. Oh, and a Boston/Havoc, too. Methinks two possibilities for someone like Mark I.

Yes, with the number of variants available, let alone the decal options, I would have thought the DB-7/A-20/P-70 would be an almost ideal subject for Mark.I.
Baldrick62
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby F_IV » Wed Jun 05, 2019 22:34

Even F-Toys wouldn't have a hard time finding variants, including Japanese ones. And at a quarter of the price of a Mark I kit. :D
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby teddybeer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 21:03

On the same model, I just made a few changes (gear doors) and painting.
Other pictures here : https://144airbattle.blogspot.com/search/label/Lockheed%20Hudson
Attachments
Lockheed Hudson.jpg
teddybeer
Flight #8
Flight #8

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26

Excellent work, Mr Beer. That looks substantially better than the Atlas version. And painting over the transparencies is no bad thing either. The clear parts that Atlas uses are incredibly thick and have all the optical clarity of a bucket of mud. ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby moresby » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:29

All Atlas models have squared wheel wells. You can try to hid them behind gear doors but unless you have access to fine metalworking tools and machinery there's no way to fix them....
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby TonyG2 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47

Wow, looks really good. I have never had the guts to try disassembling/stripping/repainting any of the 1/144 diecast aircraft available but this does kind of tempt me to give it a go.....
TonyG2
JV 144 3 Star
JV 144 3 Star

Next

Return to 1/144 'Out of the Box' Review Section