Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Over the Wet Stuff - Start: Aug 1st, Finish: Sep 26th

Aircraft that operated over bodies of water, including floatplanes and flying boats.
Runs from 1 August 2015 to 4 October 2015.
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: 1st Post... get your Wet Stuff here. :)

Post by Jonathan »

Thank you, Mr. JBr for your offer of prizes, but I agree with Merlin, we are not about building "the best model". I personally would never aspire to such, and would never judge another.
However, your offer is appealing. perhaps a prize awarded to a random participant drawn from the finishers..? succesfully completing a model is i think the main objective here... 8-)

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

JBr-Decals wrote:And one more thing, GBs at some servers sometimes have a poll to select the best model finished during the GB. If by chance the GB boss decides to do so here too, I'm willing to provide some goodies as prizes.

May rather than "best", which is subjective anyway. maybe let the people vote on their "favourite" - or " the people's choice!?"
I've seen group builds with voting turn up a some interesting outcomes.

I think that the members of this forum are a little less uptight than other forums we could mention?

But, hey - Merlin has final say (I almost freudian slipped and said vote) as he is the ring leader on all this GB business ;)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by MerlinJones »

I lead rings?
Ewwwwwww! :mrgreen:

Does that make you guys a bunch of ars... :P *

I hear what you're saying and appreciate that this place is certainly 'less uptight' than many. However, for now, I'd be uncomfortable with a collective voting occurring for whatever and would suggest any 'prize giving' take place quietly and sans fuss, perhaps even via PM's.

Perhaps we get a couple of GBs under our belts and review later on. Currently, we have a GB that should simply result in some stash reductions and a shared modelling experience. Later on, we might want to consider adding the extra element of bestest or favouritest or whatever.

*Arsenal supporters?
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by pbhawkin »

Ok my list of possible builds has expanded thanks to a prompt from Ajmm about some Mini MF kits.
Now they are in order of what I would like to complete!
I expect to get maybe two done!!!
Supermarine Walrus Mk.II (Peterplanes),
Fairey Barracuda Mk.III (MMF),
Fairey Firefly FR.Mk.5 (MMF),
Felixstowe F2A (Red Eagle),
PB4Y-2 Privateer (Cobra company),
Bolingbroke Mk.III (floats) (Peterplanes),
JU290A-5 (Amercom rebuild),
TorpBeau (Peterplanes),
Sunderland (F-toys rebuild),
Hansa Brandenburg (W12 or W29) (Reviresco),
Blohm & Voss 238 (Anigrand),
Shorts Sandringham (F-rsin),
Ju52 Minensuchboot oder mit Schwimmer (Eduard),
Regards
Peter

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by MerlinJones »

Cool!
Most of those are not exactly run-of-the-mill kit manufacturers, at least as us 1/72 modellers would know it!

More than half a month to go 'til kick-off and we're already onto our second page of chat.
There's no stopping you all...

...Which is nice!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Just reiterating my list:

Aichi E13A Type 0-Kou Model 11 "Jake" (F-Toys) - dismantle and refinish as "8.S.1", Escadrille 8S, Aeronavale, French Indochina, 1945 (homemade decals) DONE
Arado Ar 196 (Peter's Planes) - scheme to be decided STALLED DUE TO LACK OF SUITABLE STRUTS
Boeing 314 Clipper (Airfix) - remodelled as FDR's C-143 (homemade decals?)
Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina (Minicraft) and RAAF Catalina Update Set (Owl) - "RB ● L", A24-59, 20 Sqn RAAF, 1943 (one of the options on the Aussie Decals/Novascale decal sheet)
General Motors FM-2 Wildcat (Sweet) - HMS Trucker, 1944 (OOB kit decals)
Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat Drones (Revell Micro Wings) - 2 or 3 kits finished as per these possible options (see also November 2009 issue of SAMI)
Grumman TBM-1C Avenger (AHM Crown) - an aircraft of Flight 19, Fort Lauderdale, 1945, one of the flight of 5 Avengers lost in the Bermuda Triangle (homemade decals) AWAITING DECALS
Junkers Ju46 (Peter's Planes recasting of Senwork's W34 kit with floats) - Peter has already done "Europa" so I might go with "Bremen" in one of its schemes (homemade decals)
Short Sunderland Mk III (Algernon Product) - dismantle and refinish as A26-4 (ML733), 40 Sqn RAAF, Port Moresby, 1945 (one of the options on the Aussie Decals/Novascale decal sheet)

PS. Many thanks for the generous offer, Jiri. Whilst I'm a competitive beast at heart, I'm also aware of my limitations (eat your heart out, Dirty Harry!), so I'm siding with Jonathan and Bruce this time around.

Oh and Bruce, perhaps we can start referring to you as Lord of the Rings ... :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by MerlinJones »

Would you like me to make a hi-res scan of my own Presidential Clipper decals and pass 'em on?

Lord of the Rings? Well, the bottom line... :roll:

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by F_IV »

Two weeks to make up my mind...

Projects under consideration are:

FT Macchi M.33 1926 Schnieder trophy racer. Hoping to rub back and repaint with a polished silver finish.

Plastic card "mystery fuselage". A long term project I've always wanted to do.

FT BV-138 reconstructed with the addition of minesweeping ring

FT Sunderland. Waterline model, new turrets, glazing, cockpit and fuselage contours.

FT Swordfish reconstructed and rigged

Scratchbuilt Lockheed Hudson (I wish!)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I would have included my Algernon Product (not F-Toys) Bv138 except for the fact that the twonks supplied two identical booms, as in both starboard. May have to do a bit of surgery if I can't find the buyer of the kit with two port booms. :cry:

In conversation with others earlier today, I mentioned the erstwhile Hudson. Apart from Creation Chaubet's very heavy white metal casting and the long OOP Atlas diecast, the 1/144 world screams out for a Hudson (and, whilst we're at it, a Ventura). Hope springs eternal ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

MerlinJones wrote:Would you like me to make a hi-res scan of my own Presidential Clipper decals and pass 'em on?
You are a scholar and a gentleman! That would be brilliant, Bruce. If you could you also scan the painting directions, I'd be eternally grateful. Best bet might be to put them in the Kit Instructions thread on the forum. :D :D :D

Incidentally, I saw that Aircraft of the Presidency on evilBay for under $US20 and thought, mmmm. Then I read the bit about $US48 postage to Oz and the happiness bubble well and truly popped.
OTB ...

Return to “Group Build 2: Over the Wet Stuff”