Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Mark Webster - Amodel Be-12

Aircraft that operated over bodies of water, including floatplanes and flying boats.
Runs from 1 August 2015 to 4 October 2015.
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No

Mark Webster - Amodel Be-12

Post by Mark_W »

Hi guys,

A bit slow to get started - I'm planning to get the Amodel Be-12 done...
be-12-boxart.jpg
Going for the Box art plane (number 28), but will try to do some weathering - should make the monochrome finish a bit more interesting!

Some of the photos I'm using for inspiration.
2540543.jpg
2394204.jpg
1876439.jpg
Will be my first attempt at weathering extensively - have bought the Tamiya weathering set which should hopefully help.
tamiya-weather-master.jpg
tamiya-weather-master.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Have made a start on cleaning up parts - lots of flash - but surface detail looks very nice to my eye.

Mark

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Re: Mark Webster - Amodel Be-12

Post by MerlinJones »

Take your time and this kit will reward your effort. I certainly enjoyed mine.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Thanks Merlin - underneath all the flash, there's quite a nice model...somewhere!

Some construction photos:

Fitting windows into the fuselage required a lot of trimming and test fitting.
fuselage-windows.jpg
You glue the wheel wells into the fuselage interior - this is very much "choose your own adventure" with no clear direction on where things go.

Some big gaps in the wings, but nothing a bit of filler can't handle. Should probably have sanded down the fitting surfaces more carefully - oh well, next time!
wing-gap.jpg
The engine pods are interesting. They have a round insert for the main front intakes which actually fits well. Main bodies of the left and right engines are identical, and there are handed inserts to add to the bottom of the pods to make them fit onto the top of the wings.
engine-pods.jpg
"Why use 2 parts when you can use 6?" is a bit of a theme with this model. Wait till you see the undercarriage!

Mark

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

mark_webster wrote:"Why use 2 parts when you can use 6?" is a bit of a theme with this model. Wait till you see the undercarriage!
Good point. Ever since I starting modelling as young 'un, I've always wondered why some manufacturers boast the release of a "detailed" kit where the fuselage comes in 6 bits (or more) and not 2. If you could achieve the same level of detail with fewer parts, why wouldn't you? The oft-heard response is, "Oh, it's easier to devise a detailed injection moulding if we do it this way." Maybe, but the argument is shot down in flames when a competitor achieves far better detail with far fewer parts. Perhaps some companies have a major stakeholding in adhesives. :roll:

And before someone arcs up, I'm NOT calling on such companies to dumb down their kits or emulate Zvezda's Art of Tactic series (in which the small number of parts and lack of detail can be attributed to that company's perception of the end-use of the constructed aircraft, namely in wargaming). For the most part, companies like Sweet and Platz seem to get the balance right in 1/144 IMHO.

As with all these Amodel assemblies during the GB, I'll be watching with great interest, Mark. ;)
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - Don't ask!

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Of course, sometimes, the breakdown of parts is designed to facilitate alternative versions of the subject being kitted in the future.
Other times, it's because of some subtle shape difficulties. For example, my Be-6 has a split canopy, to accommodate a bulge.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Hi,

Have made a bit more progress...

Here's an example of "why use 1 part when you can use 3" philosophy - the tailwheel. The tire has a split for the strut to fit in. Quite unusual and would be a good way to make painting the wheel simpler, if the fit was a bit better!
tailwheel-3-pieces.jpg
Also a butt joint right in the middle of the strut - for no really good reason I could see! Very fragile so made the connection by using plastic rod drilled into either side.
tailwheel-fixed.jpg
Fit of wing to fuselage was tricky - did a lot of sanding of the fuselage top to make the fit better. Ended up with a huge gap on the underside at the front. Made a spacer and the fit was a lot better. Still not perfect - will be a fair bit of filler in this one!
fuselage-spacer.jpg
wing-fuselage-join.jpg
wing-fuselage-top.jpg
Here's an illustration of the flash on the model - the control column before and after. Not that you'll see much through the tiny cockpit windows, but tricky to clean up!
control-column-flash.jpg

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Marshall Islands

Post by Jonathan »

No mistake about the Amodel challenge. :roll: Most of their stuff comes out like that, and yet, you have to love what they do. I do anyway - keep getting more, despite knowing what it is going to be like.

Seems you are up to the challenge and the beast is going forward nicely.

These big gull wing seabirds are growing on me. I think I might get the Anigrand Mariner set to fill that niche.
He who can command himself
Is good to govern

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Definitely looks like a grounding in resin and/or vacform kit construction is a basic requirement for attempting most Amodel offerings. :roll:
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - Don't ask!

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Hi,

Yes - this kit is not exactly falling together, but quite enjoying it none the less!

Wing, tailplane and MAD boom all attached - took some care to get the alignment right.
filler-top.jpg
Using Tamiya filler for the first time - seems a bit like really thick Mr Surfacer.
filler-top.jpg
filler-wing-bottom.jpg
There were 2 circular and one triangular window inserts for the bottom of the fuselage. Must be fun looking through these when the plane is landing!

Looks like they are painted over in the example I'm modelling, so roughly fitted these and sanded flush.
windows-bottom.jpg
Engines take a bit of trimming to look good (they are 5-piece assemblies - so far!), plus some filler. Shaved off some small intakes on the front insert to ease sanding to shape. Might re-attach later.
filler-engines.jpg
Mark
Attachments
filler-wing-top.jpg

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Hi,

A bit more slow but steady progress.

Main components assembled, puttied and sanded down - a lot! Looking at the close up shots, seems like there's still a bit of smoothing to do.

Various small airscoops and other details being added, and still need to assemble cockpit.

Hopefully get to painting over the weekend some time!

Mark
top-overall.jpg
wing-fuselage-top.jpg
wing-fuselage-bottom.jpg
tailplane.jpg
tailboom.jpg
nose.jpg
exhaust.jpg
engine-top.jpg
engine-bottom.jpg

Return to “Group Build 2: Over the Wet Stuff”