Mirage IIIRS Swiss AF - Mark I

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!

Re: Mirage IIIRS Swiss AF - Mark I

Postby Mig88 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 19:05

Marco, at the moment it's the only game in town as the only other kits are those of FE Resin / Miniwing and they are no longer available.

Things are moving forward and I have already determined some dos and don'ts!

IIIRS W05.jpg

The intakes are a tricky assembly as they don't click into place and the inner plate can end up slightly twisted. For next time I'm considering assembling the parts directly on the fuselage which should make things easier and get the outer part better aligned with the fuselage as the assembly ends up on the narrow side. I strongly suggest NOT gluing the intakes to the fuselage BEFORE joining the halves. It's much easier to apply pressure without them.

Below, the cockpit and exhaust assemblies glued to the starboard fuselage half. Fortunately, there is a guide for the exhaust on this half. I noticed that the exhaust ring was left out in the Hyperscale build so I did the same as it will make things easier later on.

IIIRS W06.jpg
IIIRS W07.jpg

Above, zooming in on how the cockpit assembly sits in the fuselage. I missed filling in an ejection pin mark on this fuselage half (the other had a tower to be scraped off) so I will have to deal with it later.

IIIRS W08.jpg

Composite shot of the cockpit.

I have already joined the two fuselage halves. As noted in the other build, the join isn't great. I had to use CA glue in the nose area to secure a better join there.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:51

Fortunately, I managed to gently remove the outer parts of the intakes and get them reattached properly aligned with the fuselage.

IIIRS W09.jpg

Above: the fuselage assembly and the wing ready for assembly. A lot of cutting, filing and sanding and constant checking was needed until I finally managed to get both parts to fit decently. I even had to remove some plastic from the bottom of the front plate of the exhaust assembly as it was fouling up the fit! The section of the wing fitting under the intakes was also painted Aluminium just in case.

IIIRS W10.jpg

It also helped to remove the belly tank. For the life of me I can't understand why this couldn't have come as an alternate part since scraping it off to eventually glue the other larger one is a real pain!

Now both parts are joined and my first impression is that I'll need less filling than in the Hyperscale build (thankfully!!). I won't be spared from sanding though :roll: !

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:21

Looks really complex and exacting work to get it together, but you are doing a great job.
Ian
cowleyi
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby Mig88 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:34

Thanks Ian. Indeed, it's a matter of checking and re-checking to try and get the best possible joining of parts to minimise work afterwards.

IIIRS W11.jpg

Nevertheless, no matter what you do, the wing-to-fuselage join around the intakes is going to require plenty of work. The Hyperscale build clearly shows the same problem. Here I used plenty of CA glue as filler. I only used a little more on some parts of the fuselage spine and around the nose joins. The remaining gaps were easily filled with Kristal Klear.

IIIRS W12.jpg

The larger underside tank lacks the curvature to match the fuselage/wing at the rear and I missed trying to apply it to the part. I managed to force the part into place behind with CA glue.

IIIRS W13.jpg

Above, I've chopped off the fighter nose and glued the recce nose. A lot of care is needed to get the alignment right as there are no guides or locking tabs.

IIIRS W14.jpg

Checking with photos, I realised the underside tank has the wrong shape, mainly at the rear end. It's too rounded.

IIIRS W15.jpg

I sanded it to get a more pointed end and a better look in profile. It's not perfect but it's much better and I'm leaving it at this. I think this is one of the kit parts that would benefit from a resin replacement with the correct shape.

IIIRS W16.jpg

Finally for today, I managed to glue the canopy without cutting the rear tab or resorting to the large amounts of filler in the Hyperscale build. The fit is bad because I found three elements fouling it. I sanded down the headrest (not too much). The forward coaming is the worst element and needs to be sanded narrower and a little lower at the front too. Finally, the step in the cockpit ledge is a bit too far back and needs to be cut a little bit further forward so that the canopy can click in place. The fit wasn't perfect though and I still had to fill some gaps with Kristal Klear.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 14:33

Assembly is complete, or almost. I've added the undercarriage, the underwing tanks and the node probe. The exhaust ring will only be added toward the end to help painting.

IIIRS W18.jpg

The instructions don't say anything about adding weight and, fortunately, none is necessary.

IIIRS W17.jpg

Instructions are not very clear as to how exactly the main undercarriage legs should go. I got them wrong and had to remove and glue them again. The have to go slightly inwards so the bottom part where the wheel goes is straight. I added some missing retraction links from stretched sprue.

IIIRS W19.jpg
IIIRS W20.jpg
IIIRS W21.jpg

I also glued the front nose u/c door upside down and managed to remove it and get it right after checking references. The landing lights are a nice touch but fiddly to add. The kit's nose probe is nicely done but I think it is only accurate for the fighter variant and besides is on the thick side. Using it and cutting it 2mm shorter for the RS as shown in the instructions looked awful so I also removed it. I made a new one from stretched sprue and checking references realised it was as long as that of the fighter variant if not a little more!

It's already in the paint shop!

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 0:05

looking most impressive.

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:31

Watching this with great interest as a Mirage IIIO kit sits on the bookshelf overlooking my workbench ... ;)

Jaroslav "Jarda" Charvát has been involved in other Mark I releases, with the JACH logo appearing on the boxes for the Buffalo, Spitfire and Blanik L-13. Looking at the P-36, there's a definite similarity in the moulding to my little swag of JACH kits.
OTB ...
Group Builds - P-36C Hawk (27th PS, USAAC)
Other - Ju87B-2 (102/2 ZO, Hungarian AF), Latécoère 298 (Aeronavale)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA Super Sabre (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Prototype)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38

Thanks a lot Ian and Smeg. I also plan to make the RAAF IIIO, eventually. I'm now thinking of doing the Belgian 5BA and a Spanish IIIEE afterwards, the latter with a FoxOne kit but using the Mark I decals (the FoxOne decals lack the yellow of the insignia!!!)

While painting I've realized another odd thing. There is a probe on the forward edge of the fin which isn't shown anywhere in the instructions (see below).

IIIRS W22.jpg

I've checked references and it shouldn't be there, at least on Swiss Mirages, so check your references. I have therefore had to remove it and am now repainting the affected area. I've noticed another detail that Swiss Mirages do have: a probe above the nose just forward of the cockpit. Strangely, it is correctly shown on the colour profile instructions but no mention is made anywhere of making it. I'll be making one from scratch but only after having applied the anti-dazzle black decal.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09

Good pick-up on the probe, Miguel. Not on any RAAF IIIO's as far as I can tell.

RAAF_Mirage_IIIO_(6131016059).jpg
OTB ...
Group Builds - P-36C Hawk (27th PS, USAAC)
Other - Ju87B-2 (102/2 ZO, Hungarian AF), Latécoère 298 (Aeronavale)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA Super Sabre (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Prototype)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:59

Below, the kit yesterday morning when it was ready for the decals.

IIIRS W23.jpg
IIIRS W24.jpg

Above, this morning. The decals are on. This was the simplest scheme of the box to paint but with most decals and several tricky ones to apply. Pay close attention as there are no arrows indicating the location of decals on the instructions and I was mystified by the location of some until I finally spotted them!! The kit looks stunning and I'm really glad I decided to make this option.

IIIRS W25.jpg

The work isn't over. The red decal on the intakes had trouble setting completely well on the fuselage despite all the Micro Sol I gave it so I will have to work on those creases. Besides, I have to paint the intake lips red too. Another thing is the anti-glare panel. The decal only covers up to the canopy but it should go up the bottom frame of the windscreen. I am going to paint it and it's probably better this way since getting a decal to conform properly would be tricky. Otherwise, all decals performed well.

You may notice the nose probe is missing. I just managed to bend it in a bad way and it snapped! Oh well, now I have to be extra careful adding another one as the nose now has a camera port.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

PreviousNext

Return to 1/144 Aviation & Aircraft