Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Vacuform Group Build -- Bring it Here --

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Vacuform group build -a tentative start -

Post by Jonathan »

bootneck42 wrote:Thanks Jonathan,

I've just returned from the dark recesses of the attic and found about 60 vacforms, mostly WM but also some from Air-Craft, Formaplane, Griffin and V.L.E.
It might take me as long to choose which one to build as it will to actually make!!

Back in a while!

Mike

If you can, post pictures of your inventory - very curious to see other ACM kits and anything else in 1/144.

bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

Jonathan wrote:If you can, post pictures of your inventory - very curious to see other ACM kits and anything else in 1/144.
That would be very difficult as I would be photographing for the rest of the month!

I only have one ACM kit though, it is the Douglas A-3B Skywarrior

Mike
All for one and 144 all

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Jonathan wrote:well, not as much enthusiasm as I had anticipated.. ;)
Oh you misunderstand sir - I'm definitely going to play, I just need a toy!

I have one of the Anigrand Gannets so my enthusiasm for that kit may wane if the vac form road is particularly rocky, so I'm going to get something that I really want to build. Am going to order the Twin Pioneer this week as that will go well with my collection and can't see another manufacturer producing one. Famous last words - hope MikroMir isn't listening...

bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

I've had a look through my stuff but it's a bit like our partner's choosing shoes, if I don't make a stab now I'll just end up at the beginning again.

I have gone for the WM Shorts C-23A Sherpa

I'm not going to start it straight away, mainly as I already have a full workbench of stuff on the go, but I will attempt to get something started soon.

Mike
All for one and 144 all

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

ajmm wrote: Oh you misunderstand sir - I'm definitely going to play, I just need a toy!

I have one of the Anigrand Gannets so my enthusiasm for that kit may wane if the vac form road is particularly rocky, so I'm going to get something that I really want to build. Am going to order the Twin Pioneer this week as that will go well with my collection and can't see another manufacturer producing one. Famous last words - hope MikroMir isn't listening...
Excellent, sir!

The Scottish Twin Pioneer is a nice choice. your point about no other manufacturer is well taken, thats really the justification for doing a vacuform - no other option :mrgreen:

I hadnt noticed an Anigrand Gannet, what box is that in?
bootneck42 wrote:I've had a look through my stuff but it's a bit like our partner's choosing shoes, if I don't make a stab now I'll just end up at the beginning again.

I have gone for the WM Shorts C-23A Sherpa

I'm not going to start it straight away, mainly as I already have a full workbench of stuff on the go, but I will attempt to get something started soon.

Mike
There are no start or finish dates here, just come and go as you please!

I build a Sherpa a year or two ago,

bootneck42
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star
Great Britain

Post by bootneck42 »

The Gannet AEW is in A-4050 Nimrod AEW3 set

Mike
All for one and 144 all

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

Even though it is my wife's birthday and my in-laws came over for lunch and stayed all afternoon, I made a start on the Hastings 8-)
hastings 019.jpg
got the fuselage halves all sanded out and all the other plastic parts freed from the sheets.
hastings 020.jpg
The kit comes with lovely metal props, so I wont have to sand out the vacuform ones, though I dont mind doing them if necessary.
Also, nice engines and landing gear. Attaching landing gear in a Welsh kit requires engineering, as there is nothing in the way of wheel wells provided, in fact the doors are closed on the parts and have to be cut open.
hastings 021.jpg
Included in the kit are a pair of underwing tanks and a belly radome. I don't beleive the NZ Airforce Hastings had either of those features, but I might put the wing tanks on anyway.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Jonathan, I am absolutely astounded as to how you managed to look at a model much less start construction on your Other Half's birthday. SWMBO makes sure that the week leading up to her birthday and the week following are all about her. If I dared to open the Man Cave door, all hell would break loose!

Mike, great to see your WM Gannett. Before I built my Anson in the first Group Build, the only completed WM kit I'd seen in the flesh was a Gannett that one of the co-owners of a local hobby shop built and had on display in store. As an avowed WW2 tragic, it's unfortunate that WM didn't do more aircraft of that period besides the two Douglas birds you mentioned. Whilst the Anson wasn't a piece of cake to build, I still look back at it and think that it is one of my most rewarding completions.

Back in my earlier years, I had a few 1/72 vacforms in the stash - Airmodel, Rareplanes, Contrail. With the exception of canopies, however, it now looks like vacforms are fast becoming a thing of the past. Such is life.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Vacuform Group Build -- Bring it Here --

Post by Jonathan »

Well, regarding the birthday, the less said the better, one take one's opportunities as they come. 8-)

Ive finished the easy and fun part of the Hastings kits, that is all the parts are sanded out, now I have to make an airplane out of what's left.
hastings 024.jpg
*The engines have to get mounted inside the nacelles,
*The wheel well doors need to be cut out, and I have to look at the metal LG legs to see how to attach them to the inside of the nacelles.
*Ive decided to cut out all the windows and fill them with Klear, so I will need to add a flight deck and paint the inside of the fuselage.
*The wings have a bit of dihedral starting at the inboard engines, maybe will need a jig of some kind for gluing the halves together.

pbhawkin
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Vacuform Group Build -- Bring it Here --

Post by pbhawkin »

Hi,
I would suggest making a couple of bulkheads for support and strength in the fuselage as well as some support within the wings and a spar as well.
Regards
Peter

Return to “1/144 Aviation & Aircraft”