Mirage IIIRS Swiss AF - Mark I

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!

Mirage IIIRS Swiss AF - Mark I

Postby Mig88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 16:15

After completing my Mitsubishi J4M Senden, I am finally going to get on with what I had intended to do before I decided to build the J4M on impulse: a Mark I Mirage III.

I have already done a review in the out-of-the-box review section so now I'll see how it builds.

IIIRS W01.jpg

As usual, making things easy for myself, I am going to build a Swiss AF Mirage IIIRS which will imply some chopping of the fuselage halves to change the nose section. I want a plane for Switzerland in my "Countries in kits" subcollection and I have a thing about recce variants so I'm tackling this variant first. I don't know if I'll go for another variant afterwards since I do have something else planned... but plans can change ;) !

Well, let's see how this goes...
Miguel
Room for more with one-four-four
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Mirage IIIRS Swiss AF - Mark I

Postby marcopreto » Mon Sep 16, 2019 18:48

I'll be watching this!

Cheers
Marco Preto

http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby ajmm » Mon Sep 16, 2019 20:37

This is exciting. There’s a very good build thread on HyperScale that might be helpful to glance over if you haven’t already seen it. I think there are some surprises (not the good kind sadly) that the kit throws at you!
Looking forward to this!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hypersc ... 05893.html
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mig88 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 14:49

Thanks Marco Preto and Angus

This morning, just before 5am, I had 10 minutes to spare before leaving for work and I started removing the fuselage and nose halves from the sprues and cleaning them up. Rough on the edges indeed!!
About 40min later, on the train I looked briefly into that link and the first steps echoed what I was seeing! But let's face it, having built the Wessex and the He 219, it seems the norm for the Mark I kits not made by Jach (excluding re-packing other people's moulds).

I imagined it wasn't going to be a smooth ride but the canopy.... argh!!
I seriously must think of working on some some shake-and-make tamigawa-like kits afterwards since all those I have tackled this year have given plenty of work. Maybe some nice Platz or Sweet kits for therapy ;) !
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Fabiolone » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:29

I'm looking forward to see your model progress
Fabiolone
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby marcopreto » Tue Sep 17, 2019 15:32

I also checked that link and the nose profile looks strange and to me detracts from the Mirage III look!

Regarding Mark I models, I've built one of their Mig-17 and I am currently working on a Mig-19S (both ex-Attack) and I think they are very nice (not as nice as some japanese ones, but nice)! I don't know who made those molds, but although not as good as we would like, take it as a challenge (and there is nothing a bit of epoxy putty and some carving can not solve)!

Cheers

Marco Preto
marcopreto
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby Mig88 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 19:22

Marco, the MiG-17 was made by Jach, the Mig-19 I'm not sure but could well have been too.

Below is a glimpse of some of the little challenges that these kits bring. The wing part has this hole on the inside but only makes a little one on the underside. I'll be filling it with CA glue. The cockpit base part has this ejection tower underneath that has to be removed and sanded smooth.

IIIRS W02.jpg
IIIRS W03.jpg

Above, the cockpit assembly is complete and ready for painting. Although not much will be seen, I've decided to add some harnesses from masking tape. I replaced the stick with one made from stretched sprue as the kit's part was way too thick (and difficult to clean up but I almost managed before realizing it wasn't worth it!)

Below, the cockpit assembly seen from the side. The instructions are vague as to how exactly the nosewheel bay ceiling should mate with the cockpit part and after several dry builds I determined it should go like this.

IIIRS W04.jpg

After a couple of hours work, I have the cockpit assembly, instrument panel and the fuselage halves ready and painted with a first coat of Hum67 Tank Grey (instead of pure black), and the exhaust assembly (minus the exhaust ring) and the intake parts ready too and with a first coat of Vallejo Aluminium.

Thanks for looking
Miguel
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby marcopreto » Tue Sep 17, 2019 22:29

Nice to see that you're facing that challenge!

Marco, the MiG-17 was made by Jach, the Mig-19 I'm not sure but could well have been too.

Attack also released the same kits.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/attack- ... pf--140576

Best of luck with your Mirage.

Cheers
Marco Preto
marcopreto
Flight 10
Flight 10

Postby Mig88 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 14:46

Correction: the exhaust assembly was painted oily steel!

Marco, Jach made the kits for Attack. Attack was taken over by Mark I who thus started its kit line using the acquired moulds. The MiG-17PF/PFM was the only MiG-17 re-released. The MiG-19 was re-released in many guises and one variant of the Su-7 (that Attack had not released) was released too. Before its demise, Attack had announced future releases of the Aero L29 and the Su-9/-11 Fishpot family. Mark I eventually did release the L29 but I doubt we will ever see the Fishpots (shame).
Mig88
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby marcopreto » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:11

Marco, Jach made the kits for Attack. Attack was taken over by Mark I who thus started its kit line using the acquired moulds.

Thanks! I only knew these models under the Attack label!

Regarding the Mirage III, the only alternative to the Mark I kit I've found was the prohibitively priced FoxOne model. I guess I will also go for the Mark I model to add a Mirage III to my roster!

Cheers

Marco Preto
marcopreto
Flight 10
Flight 10

Next

Return to 1/144 Aviation & Aircraft