Instructions for Entries in the Shelf of Shame

Inform everyone of your entries on the "Shelf of Shame" then make the commitment to finish the kit(s) within a set timeframe, proving completion with photographic evidence.

Instructions for Entries in the Shelf of Shame

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:19

Definition: Any model - aircraft, AFV, spacecraft, ship, whatever - you started with all good intentions but, for reasons beyond your control (!), ended up incomplete and gathering dust in a corner somewhere.

Rules: I think the "tried and tested" arrangement we are using for the Group Builds is most appropriate here.
1) One thread per kit.
2) For consistency, the title should be your forum name and the identity of the kit (e.g. "JoeBlow's Revell MiG-27 Flogger D")
3) The first entry should provide a snapshot of where you had got to with the kit before it was consigned to the Shelf of Shame, ideally with some indication of the length of time it has spent there. Fear not, I have a couple which date back to prehistoric times and I will be upfront with when the time comes to post them. Feel free to include a photo of the model with or without dust.
4) Commit to a deadline and include this in the first entry. We originally discussed various timeframes and 12 weeks seemed to be the general consensus.
5) Just like in the Group Builds, keep us up to date with your progress along the way.

And don't forget that a photo or two of any aircraft completions are always welcome in the Painting Showcase.

PS. Let me just say that I moved the original "Shelf of Shame" thread from the General Discussion and all seemed well. I revisited the site 20 minutes later and nothing! Not happy ... :evil:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Instructions for Entries in the Shelf of Shame

Postby MerlinJones » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:17

Thanks for this, Smeg.
All well and good, with just one small, though important deviation from the Original Plan...

That bit about deadlines being "entirely up to you"!
I'll remind you that that is the very reason we have a Shelf of Shame in the first place.

I'll suggest we stick to the 12-week deadline.
Anyone choosing to enter their abandoned project onto the SoS will do so, knowing that they have 12 weeks to get it done. Ifthat feels unrealistic, then they shouldn't be entering it in the first place. :P

We need to make the point that anything can be entered and that the rest of us will heckle and giggle offer constructive support, along the way.
We'll also have builds monitored, to ensure that we don't accumulate a forum full of abandoned builds.

Can I suggest some consistent Admin-type support, to move completed projects to "somewhere appropriate". For example, if I complete my Valiant, it can then go to my Man Cave?
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:04

No problems with the movable feasts, Merlin. And, yes, I'm happy to go with the 12-week deadline unless someone comes up with a compelling argument against. Rule 4 amended. This should ensure that builds do get completed and prevent the creation of a Dead Letter office, full of kits that will remain forever unfinished. The 12-week timeframe has already got me thinking about the order in which my Shame File entrants are resolved.

I am hoping that some of our colleagues who haven't been able to participate in any of the Group Builds enter a model or two here. And NO heckling, giggling, provoking, harassing, lambasting, etc. Well, not in public anyway.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 20:21

I have a heap of candidates for this, but I'm not not even going to look at them until after the end year (and coincidently the current group build)
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Fri Dec 11, 2015 20:43

Given my apparent lack of further Black Night GB candidates, I'll be joining in on this over the weekend.
However, I think I'll be cautious and try one build at a time, rather than go all smeg on you all.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:14

Actually, there's a grand total of 17 models in various stages of assembly on and around the workbench. One of those is the Hurricane for the GB and a second is a repaint of an Amercom Do24 I bought about 3 weeks ago, but the remainder do fall within the SoS definition. However, not even I am that stupid to divulge the lot here lest I end up with chicken ovulation on countenance.
OTB ...
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 0:25

OK, Peter and myself are feeling very lonely here. Isn't anyone else willing to air their dirty laundry and fess up? :roll:
OTB ...
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby MerlinJones » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12

I'll be along shortly...currently got a Kleenex* life.

*It's a box of issues.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Wege » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:09

I have a shedload... I just have to be able to get around to doing those.. lemmie see.
previous group build ones here.
2? 4? me262s
2x skyhawks
umm. modern armor.. what else...

too meke!
Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Jonathan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 18:40

I'm over committed currently, with hard delivery dates coming up. Haven't opened a box since new year. I'm playing hooky just looking at this forum. 8-)
After April 9th, Ill be free all summer I think.
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to 1/144 Shelf of Shame