Smeg’s Messerschmitt Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Eduard)

Inform everyone of your entries on the "Shelf of Shame" then make the commitment to finish the kit(s) within a set timeframe, proving completion with photographic evidence.

Smeg’s Messerschmitt Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Eduard)

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:07

For me, Group Builds have been nothing if not déjà vu in terms of completions or, should I say, lack thereof. I won’t even dare list those builds that started life in a GB and ended up on the dreaded SoS. Suffice to say, the 262 is yet another addition to this litany of failures. Unlike some of the earlier examples which stalled due to lack of suitable decals, I simply ran out of construction time with this one. Six weeks was always going to be a squeeze with commitments beyond the workbench but even I thought I’d have made it further than basic assembly and a squirt of grey primer! :roll:

Anyway, for what it’s worth, here is the current state-of-play …

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (09).JPG

With the last term of teaching in 2019 set to be a real doozy, I’m not going to promise anything in terms of a finish date. And it pains me to admit that I will have to give GB12 a miss, though not having a MiG-21 in the stash could have been used as reasonable justification here. More than likely, I will focus my efforts on the multi-hued P-36C Hawk for GB10. There are also a couple of other projects (one well-advanced) that I have on my workbench but I’m not letting any cats out of bags lest I embarrass myself even more! :oops:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Smeg’s Messerschmitt Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Eduar

Postby smeg1959 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 0:45

Brief update. Whilst it’s been a long-time a-coming, I have finally applied the first exterior colour. In the latter part of WW2, the underside colour of Luftwaffe aircraft had gone from RLM65 to the more greyish RLM76, and for once, I found little argument to suggest any 262 was finished otherwise. Whilst Mr Cowley used the Gunze version of RLM76 during GB11, I went with Lifecolor UA074.

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 (10).jpg

Upper surfaces were quite another matter. As I said at the start of this build in the GB11 thread, there are two schools of thought regarding V083, some profile artists, modellers and kit manufacturers opting for a single upper colour on the fuselage, others for a dual-colour approach. Wartime photos before and after capture by US forces support the latter, essentially an extension of the splinter pattern on the wings and horizontal tail surfaces. Having elected to go this way with my build, I will be following Ian with the RLM81/RLM82 combo, albeit choosing Lifecolor (UA510 and UA511, respectfully) over Gunze. Ian added red-brown to Gunze’s RLM81. Designated “braunviolett” (brown-violet), RLM81 varied considerably in hue, ranging from a brownish grey through to a darkish green. Lifecolor’s version is the latter. Indeed, the marginal contrast with RLM82 might explain the view of some that the fuselage was just the one colour.

Given the distinct changes in camo after capture, I’m going with my interpretation based on the wartime photo showing the port side of the aircraft prior to capture and the prescribed 262 splinter pattern at the time (conjecture but I’ve got to start somewhere).

Messerschmitt Me262A-1a-U4 - Luftwaffe V083 Before Capture Profile.jpg

What is definitely clear in the photo is that there was no mottle whatsoever at this stage. The white lines on the fuselage are probably for ground observer calibration purposes, whilst the nose is clearly a different colour to the rest of the aircraft. Given the vagaries of black and white film, it is feasible the nose could even be a colour like red, but I reckon this would be unlikely for a non-operational prototype.

More to come soon.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to 1/144 Shelf of Shame