Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg’s Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch (Takara)

The reward for completing a Shelf of Shamer - permanent residence in this location.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Smeg’s Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch (Takara)

Post by smeg1959 »

Now this seemed a good idea at the time. I had a spare Storch from the long-OOP Takara World Tank Museum Volume 3, the one with white upper surfaces and hellblau undersides.
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch Takara White Version.jpg
Unlike other Fi156s in WTM3, this rather generic example only had Balkenkreuz, so I went looking for a specific aircraft to model. Whilst suitable code letters and a bit of yellow under the wings and a band around the fuselage would have given me what I wanted, I saw a photo of an all-white Storch ambulance and was sold.
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch D-EMAW Photo.jpg
As the example chosen is completely white (no RLM65 undersides), the transparencies were masked and the whole thing was sprayed using Tamiya TS-27. I then added the red band on the tail, sprayed a coating of semi-gloss clear over the lot and … eh … stopped.
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-01.jpg
This one actually dates back to sometime early in 2014 so is well overdue for completion. Note that unlike a lot of gashapon, the Takara Storch does not dismantle, more's the pity from a refinement point of view. Ce la vie.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg’s Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch (Takara)

Post by smeg1959 »

About 3 weeks ago, I got around to developing the artwork for the decals.
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-02.jpg
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-02.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
It was only afterwards that I realised I'd forgotten a pair of black triangles that would be used to simulate the additional windows on the D-0 variant. These were added and the artwork sat awaiting the opportunity to be printed onto decal paper using work's snazzy colour laser. Finally, when no-one was looking, the deed was done. As discussed in another thread, the sheet (which also included some Finnish swastikas and unit emblems for my SoS Do17Z-3) was sprayed with a couple of thin coats of Testors Decal Bonder. Yep, worked a lot better than brushing the Microscale equivalent - no bleeding, blurring, brush marks or anything else starting with "b". The red of the crosses came up particularly well ... almost a spot-on match for the Lifecolor red used to paint the tail band.

Last night, when all had settled down for the night (SWMBO included), I applied the decals, then masked the transparencies (yes, those blackish windowy things on the gashapon ARE transparent) and gave the lot a couple of fine sealing coats of trusty TS-80 Matt Clear. Et voila ...
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-03.jpg
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-04.jpg
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-05.jpg
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-06.jpg
So, after the most non-productive modelling period in recent history lasting over and well beyond the Restive Season, I finally ticked off one Shamer within a fortnight of returning to work. Go figure. The last pic here shows D-EMAW with the three non-white Takara releases (the green one in the background - the Takara "special" - represents the aircraft used to rescue Mussolini in July 1943).
Fieseler Fi156D-0 Storch SS-07.jpg
OK, to be honest, I should have gone the whole hog and modified the undercarriage which doesn't sit right on any of the Takara Storches. If I do come across another one cheap (as they are long OOP, you're looking at around 15 bucks US to pick one up now), I'll take that plunge. I might even re-finish it as a chocolate brown post-war Morane Saulnier MS500 Criquet or one of the countless other options stemming from the extensive use of the Storch in military and civil aviation. ;)
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Return to “Off the Shelf - Finished Entries”