Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's De Havilland DH103 Sea Hornet F20 (Airalex)

The reward for completing a Shelf of Shamer - permanent residence in this location.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg's De Havilland DH103 Sea Hornet F20 (Airalex)

Post by smeg1959 »

Not the most promising news. I could, of course, buy a couple of sacrificial Tempests ... but not this one!

The further thought occurred that I might get away with one F-Toys Tempest for the wheels and a prop, and something cheaper like a Revell Tempest for the second prop. However, I do have the latter in the stash and the spinner looks like the plane crashed into a brick wall ... as flat as the nose on a pug. Bah ... :evil:
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

I see you found another E-bay record breaker. :D Do you think the Minicraft is the same tool as the Revell? I'd bet it is.
What do you think about these Aeroclub ones

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

They look nice enough and would certainly tick the box if the dimensions are right. I removed the previous spinners because, amongst other things, they were oversized. Might do a bit of checking on the Bristol Freighter and Ambassador to see what size the spinners and blades are likely to be before buying the things.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Update - no progress since last time. As I suspected, the Aeroclub ones would have been way too large. Furthermore, whilst the price for the things was reasonable ($US7), the postage blew the option completely out of the water. However, I can confirm that the Minicraft Tempest is NOT the Revell tool but rather the old Crown one. Based on photos of the completed model, it happily is a much more accurate rendition than the Revell travesty, including ... drum-roll ... the spinner. A good comparison of the two can be made with reference to a couple of photos at the foot of this webpage.

If I can just find two for not much, then I'm laughing. And judging by the sprue in the photos here, Minicraft may not be the only one to reissue the Crown kit. Unless I'm going blind, the Mini Hobby Models' (Trumpeter) one looks identical. And, unless anyone knows a cheaper source including postage, I may well be buying a couple from our Chinese friends. ;)

PS. With the unbladed spinner option also provided, I could still build the two Tempests albeit in "engine on" mode. Probably do it this way around rather than use the unbladed spinners for the Sea Hornet.

Footnote: The Mini Hobby Model's listing ended because I bought the things. The downside will be the "free postage". What, you ask? Well, you've heard of the slow boat to China. The "free postage" is on the return trip! I bought some decals over 6 weeks ago ... still waiting. :roll:
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Tempests have arrived. All parts OK despite one box being crushed unmercifully in transit. That's the spinners accounted for. Unfortunately, the wheels are moulded to the undercarriage doors and lack any detail, so I may still have to cannibalise the pair out of my F-Toys' example. :(

Somehow I forgot to mention which particular Sea Hornet is being modelled here. Somewhat predictably, I've gone for TT213, the sole DH103 to make it to Australian shores. Brought on charge by the RAAF from the UK Ministry of Supply on 11 June 1948, the aircraft retained its original serial number despite being assigned the RAAF serial A83-1. It was flown for a total of 49 hours by the Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) in tropical trials before being returned, firstly to No. 1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton in October 1950, then eventually back to De Havilland in the UK in April 1951. It served with Airwork RNAS St. Davids from July 1952, where it was assigned the number "421/BQ". In April 1953, it was transferred to Airwork Fleet Requirements Unit (FRU) at Hurn Airport, Bournemouth where it acquired a yellow fuselage band. Whilst it was deemed surplus to requirements early in 1955, it wasn't until 1957 that it was scrapped.

The photo below shows TT213/A83-1 stationed in Alice Springs in late 1948:
De Havilland DH103 Sea Hornet - TT213 A83-1 Alice Springs Nov 1948 (1).jpg
During its time Down Under, it retained this natural metal scheme. By the time it operated from Hurn Airport, it had the standard RN scheme of the 50's, as beautifully replicated in this build of the Classic Airframes 1/48 kit:
De Havilland DH103 Sea Hornet - CA 1-48 TT213 (1).jpg
As an Aussie, I probably should do the 1948 version but, hey, (i) the 1953 scheme is so much more appealing and (ii) I'd included artwork for this version on the sheet that Custom Hobby Decals printed for Peter and myself.
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

A teensy update. The ex-Mini Hobby Models' Tempest props are now fitted but it wasn't the straightforward process I'd imagined. As I said previously, these Chinese kits came with both bladed and bladeless versions of the spinner and I'd chosen the former for my Sea Hornet. Well, that was until I discovered that the bladed spinner was markedly larger in diameter than the unbladed one and appeared way oversized when temporarily attached to the F20. Bugger. So I went with the unbladed versions, which fitted quite nicely. Still I wanted blades so, after unsuccessfully trawling through the spares box for 8 identically and appropriately sized blades, I did the only thing I could ... I cut the blades off the bladed Tempest spinners, pin-drilled locating holes on the bladeless spinners and voila ...
De Havilland Sea Hornet TT213 (10).jpg
All that practice with Anigrand contraprops where spinners and blades are supplied separately paid off. Next job will be to redo the smash moulded canopy then start painting the beastie. OK, time to fess up. I'm well and truly over the "12 week deadline", I'm afraid (sorry, Merlin). 2016 is proving to be my least productive modelling in a decade. Easter, a week away from work and I had "plans", but SWMBO has well and truly scuppered them with a "family camping holiday". Not sure whether it's possible to build kits in the wilderness ... :roll:
OTB ...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

All that practice with Anigrand contraprops where spinners and blades are supplied separately paid off.
Haha. That made me smile. I'm right there with you.

It's looking pretty sharp, Smeg. Keep at it!

Angus

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Life continues to get in the way of modelling, but I have managed to squeeze in the odd late night session. Following Skalski's Spitty, I returned to the ongoing saga that is the Sea Hornet and I'm happy to say that the light is finally appearing at the end of a tunnel considerably longer than the Delaware Aqueduct.

After fitting the prop blades and doing a little more sanding, I gave the model a coat of Tamiya XF-21 Sky then masked the thing in preparation for the Dark Sea Grey, for which I used Lifecolor UA516.
De Havilland Sea Hornet - RN TT213 (11).jpg
The high demarcation line between the two colours on the fuselage caused a few issues until I found my Mr Hobby 1-mm masking strips. With a couple of minor areas requiring touch-up, the end result wasn't too bad.
De Havilland Sea Hornet - RN TT213 (13).jpg
At this point, I suddenly realised that TT213 featured a yellow fuselage band which I should have done prior to the grey given the usual coverage issues I endure with yellows. Damn! To try and improve the situation, I masked off the rest of the aircraft and "undercoated' the band with a couple of rattle can sprays of Tamiya TS-47 Chrome Yellow. Whilst too orange to be left as is, it did provide a reasonable base for subsequent airbrushing of my Tamiya XF-3. (I've since bought a tinlet of Humbrol 24 Trainer Yellow which seems to cover better than the Tamiya bottled yellow). Bit of a paint ridge which needed some gentle sanding down, but the overall result OK. Some UA004 Interior Green in the cockpit and the wheel wells, some other details added and this one's getting closer to leaping off the Shelf of Shame for good.
De Havilland Sea Hornet - RN TT213 (14).jpg
De Havilland Sea Hornet - RN TT213 (16).jpg
Incidentally, the wheels have been hijacked from my F-Toys Tempest in the stash. Absolutely spot on in size and profile. The arrestor hook was fabricated using some stretched plastic rod.

Last night, more touch-ups, detailing and a liberal coat of TS-79 semi-gloss clear ready for decals. The one task delaying the final unveiling is the smash moulding of the canopy. Again last night, I did two using different moulds, one of which was the cutaway solid section from the original Airalex casting. This one worked the better of the two (the other was too short) and one side of the resultant casting aligned almost perfectly BUT the other side looked like cr*p. I have tweaked the mould and will re-try the process tonight (or whenever SWMBO isn't looking).
OTB ...

mtcc75
JV 144
JV 144

Post by mtcc75 »

Looking good Greg , give me a call and come around , I have a huge "Monthan Davis" ,
Mark
ps , bring the 1/72 armour with you :-)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

A huge "Monthan Davis"? Never heard it called that before ... :twisted: Will give you a call tomorrow, provided my darling students give me a moment's peace (exam time, assessment tasks due and all the panic that entails).

Oh, and after half a dozen attempts trimming smash-moulded canopies for the Sea Hornet, I've finally succeeded in making one that fits without the need for buckets of filler. Given it a good soaking in Future and it'll be attached tomorrow night. Then its just the canopy frame (just the one on the DH103), decals and a sealing coat of clear. After all the time taken to get to this point, I'm having trouble coming to terms that I've nearly finished the damned thing. Then again, its the closest I've ever been to scratchbuilding an aircraft (scratched a 1/76 Marder III Ausf M from plastic card and bits from the spares box back in the early 1980's, but that's another story).

Hey, maybe even send a happy snap to Alex Trant. ;)
OTB ...

Return to “Off the Shelf - Finished Entries”