Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Douglas C-47 Dakota (Minicraft)

The reward for completing a Shelf of Shamer - permanent residence in this location.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Smeg's Douglas C-47 Dakota (Minicraft)

Post by smeg1959 »

This one was started during the first of our Group Builds. Unfortunately, by the cessation of the Build, it was still sitting in the cabinet bereft of decals.
Douglas C-47 Dakota GB-23.jpg
Those decals duly arrived some time ago but, with multiple projects on the go (mainly for the Over the Wet Stuff and current Black/Night GBs), the Dakota has sat patiently on the Shelf, waiting, waiting. Not a challenge by any means but, as Merlin categorically stated, a model without decals is a non-completion by the letter of the law.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg's Douglas C-47 Dakota (Minicraft)

Post by smeg1959 »

OK, ignore the fact that I posted the thread only minutes ago. It was supposed to go up with the other four last Friday. Why am I telling you this? Well, because the first lot of decals were applied late on Sunday evening ...
Douglas C-47 Dakota SS-01.jpg
These are from the Custom Decals' proof sheet and look good BUT are a little on the see-through side, an issue Peter H and myself had picked up earlier. Geoff at CD has since added another white layer to make the decals more opaque and I'm hoping to get hold of these shortly. I will simply apply them over the top of the ones here. I'm also chasing up some RAAF/RAN roundels with a white surround. The vast majority of RAAF/RAN aircraft operating from 1946 through to the 1970's were either bare metal or camouflaged so this outline wasn't used. The few exceptions were aircraft painted like our friend here. Oddly enough, Nowra-based Oxford Blue Sea Furies did not have the white outline.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Whilst we are awaiting the Beaufort decal sheet with new improved opacity and tweaked colours on things like code letters, I asked for and received from Peter the RAN C-47 decals from his proof. Many thanks, PBH! As I expected, overlaying them across the original decals last night gave the opacity required for the white on Oxford Blue. Like any overlay job I've done in the past, there was a touch of trepidation to start with but all fears proved unwarranted. Even the white fuselage stripes went on a treat. Not going to worry about a photo as the previous one gives you the gist.

All that's left are the side window decals (which I'll probably just do in black unless something suggests a more appropriate colour to contrast with Oxford Blue) and the RAAF/RAN roundels with white outlines.

PS. Still got your Dakota window template, Jonathan. Cheers! ;)
OTB ...

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

If you are planning on printing the windows in a ribbon on clear film, there is no way anything but black will even be visible.
If you can imagine cutting and placing individual little squares, I might suggest silver film (or film painted silver)
or print one of these on white film and cut little squares.
gradientwindows.PNG
gradientwindows.PNG (3.96 KiB) Viewed 5587 times

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Individual rectangles might be the go if I can cut them in a reproducible fashion. I do have some of the decal sheet I painted black for doing the canopy frames during the last GB. Might see how one goes. The gradients are also a possibility.
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

With visits to the Man Cave over my so-called annual leave being next to zilch thanks to you-know-who, very little progress on anything. Surprisingly, now that I'm back at work, the occasional opportunity is presenting itself. One minor advance on the C-47 are the passenger windows. I tried the black painted decal sheet but the contrast against the Oxford Blue was predictably poor. Having some leftover grey painted sheet, I cut out as reproducibly as I could manage 13 small rectangles and applied them to the model.
Douglas C-47 Dakota SS-02.jpg
In hindsight and with the benefit of magnification, they were slighter larger than required. What I will probably do is print some Oxford Blue-edged rectangles on clear decal sheet and overlay them to reduce the window dimensions. Should also improve dimensional consistency, too.

PS. Today's photo is one of the first I've taken with my new smartphone. Not only does it have almost double the resolution of my Lumix camera, it also has a macro feature than allows the modeller to get up really close and personal with his or her creations, as will be apparent in some future uploads.
OTB ...

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

That's some nice tiny decal cutting and fitting. The color contrast looks good.
I like how the cockpit window came out as well. Can you see inside with your camera? :geek:

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Your wish is my command.
Douglas C-47 Dakota SS-03.jpg
Douglas C-47 Dakota SS-04.jpg
Mmmm, I need some cabin lighting ...
OTB ...

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

First the good news. The Mark I post-WW2 RAAF roundels arrived from their tour of Dutch culture, courtesy of Lex. Again, many, many thanks! I am indebted to you.

Now the bad news. The long-awaited white (and red and black) circle decals finally arrived from China. However, as we all know, size is important. I somehow missed the dimensions of the photo mentioned in the advert on evilBay, as the largest circles on the sheet measure out at only 5mm in diameter. Following my purchase, the vendor added a ruler which clearly shows this. Unfortunately, for the C-47, I needed 7.5mm for the fuselage and 9.0mm for the wings. For the Finnish Do17Z, the requirement was 8.0mm for the wings.

Back to the drawing board. Scott (rebelalpha) has a Fantasy Printshop sheet as backing for 1/72 RAF roundels with the smallest diameter being 5.6mm (7/32"). Unfortunately, the next biggest is 10.3mm (13/32"). He also has a Bestfong sheet with white backing circles starting from 6.4mm (1/4'). Using this as a gauge, I checked the photo and the next biggest are 9.5mm (3/8"). Bugger.
OTB ...

ph-adk
Flight #288
Flight #288
Netherlands

Post by ph-adk »

Cheers!

Return to “Off the Shelf - Finished Entries”