Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's Dornier Do17Z-3 (Amercom)

The reward for completing a Shelf of Shamer - permanent residence in this location.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Smeg's Dornier Do17Z-3 (Amercom)

Post by smeg1959 »

OK, let me confess here. There was a thread created back in January 2016 covering this Shelf of Shamer, to which Peter Hawkins had commented. Tonight, after finally securing the decals required, this refinish was finally completed. Consequently, I moved the thread from the active Shelfers to the Finished Entries (i.e. here). Unfortunately, when I opened the latter, the thread had mysteriously disappeared and no amount of swearing restored it.

Anyway, here's a very brief recount of what vanished. Back in 2015 I begun a repaint of the Amercom Do17Z to represent an aircraft operating with the Suomen Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force). Here's the Do17Z as supplied by Amercom, complete with mudguards installed back-to-front.
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Luftwaffe KG76 F1+FH (01).jpg
I plugged up all the voids, sanded the lot and primed the model with a spray of good ol' Tamiya grey fine surfacer. I then airbrushed the standard Finnish combination of Vaaleansininen (Light Blue), Oliivinvihreä (Olive Green) and Musta (Black). Canopy and nose frames were done using my decal strip technique.
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Finnish AF DN-63 LeLv46 (02).jpg
Near the end of 2015, I did some decal artwork which included the Finnish swastikas, LeLv. 46 "Charging Bull" unit emblem (yes, I did draw this freehand using Illustrator ... an hour well-spent?) and aircraft codes.
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Finnish AF DN-63 LeLv46 (04).jpg
Then the Do17Z joined the ranks of the lost and forgotten on the infamous Shelf of Shame. Until tonight ...
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg's Dornier Do17Z-3 (Amercom)

Post by smeg1959 »

Well, in the end, the swastikas remained artwork through the lack of white backing disks (I don't have an ALPS printer). Whilst Angus sent me some Finnish swastikas that he didn't use on his Sweet Hurricanes (again, many thanks, ajmm!), I eventually found that the 800mm and 1200mm diameter swastikas on the Mark I Finnish sheet were the correct dimensions for fuselage and wings, respectively.

In contrast, I did manage to colour-match the olive green background for the code "DN-63" and the blackish-grey background for the unit emblems and both were printed onto white decal paper on work's colour laser. The idea is that you cut these decals out as per normal, soak them off their backing paper, then carefully trim them right up close to the lettering and emblem with a new knife blade, before apply, ing the resultant decals to the model. If there's any colour mismatch, it's hardly noticeable using this technique. I did this successfully with the pale grey codes on black background used for my Bf109E-4 night fighter during the third Group Build and more recently with the light grey "A52-69" on my Mossie FB.40.

And tonight, they all made their way onto the Do17Z. After a period of drying, the canopy and glass nose "panes" were masked with Maskol and the models sprayed twice with TS-80 matt clear coat to tone down the sheen and protect the decals. I also took the opportunity to replace the overly thick Amercom antenna, DF loop and guns. So, at long last, here is the finished beastie after the Maskol was carefully pulled away.
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Finnish AF DN-63 LeLv46 (05).jpg
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Finnish AF DN-63 LeLv46 (12).jpg
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Finnish AF DN-63 LeLv46 (09).jpg
Dornier Do17Z-3 - Finnish AF DN-63 LeLv46 (10).jpg
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Re: Smeg's Dornier Do17Z-3 (Amercom)

Post by ajmm »

Great job - that looks ace! Glad they got to you safely - certainly much better use of them than I could ever have made.

Return to “Off the Shelf - Finished Entries”