Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Smeg's GAF Canberra Mk 20 (OzMods)

The reward for completing a Shelf of Shamer - permanent residence in this location.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Smeg's GAF Canberra Mk 20 (OzMods)

Post by smeg1959 »

And then there were two from GB7.
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (29).jpg
Really, this would have been squared away some time ago if the Amodel decals hadn’t self-destructed. I have done artwork for the various decals and may see how they go on work’s laser. Alternatively, I could call upon Novascale/Aussie Decals’ ALPS-printed sheet to extricate me from the mire. Time will tell …
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Smeg's GAF Canberra Mk 20 (OzMods)

Post by smeg1959 »

With all the Vallejo kerfuffle on my Vickers 432, I looked at other models "in progress" in an attempt to finally finish something this year. And the Canberra seemed the most obvious candidate as it was really only awaiting decals. In the end, I took the homemade approach to these as Novascale’s sheet did not include “244”. I also took the opportunity to do artwork for the Armee de l’Air P-63C, including the “Voodoo Mask” unit emblem for GC 3/6 "Roussillon".
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (28).jpg
OK, so there’s a bit of overkill numerically, but I don’t always get this decal application thingy right first time, especially with the homemade product. Better safe than sorry. Anyway, my little white Mk 117 bomb was decorated with a total of 13 tiny decals (the inscription with its pair of umbrellas, 8 crosses on the tail fins and 4 arrow heads – two red, two black – on the nose). Its olive drab opposite number only required a thin yellow line around the circumference towards the nose and this was achieved using a slice off one of my painted decal sheets I usually use for canopy framing.
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (29).jpg
After sealing with clear coat, the two bombs were attached to their underwing shackles, then the rest of my homemade decals were affixed to the model. Once dry, the whole aircraft got a matt clear coat to reduce the sheen, much more appropriate to an aircraft that had flown many missions over Vietnam. And so, finally, Smeg completes something in 2018. Better late than never and one less on the infamous Shelf of Shame.
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (30).jpg
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (31).jpg
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (32).jpg
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (35).jpg
GAF Canberra Mk 20 - RAAF A84-244 (36).jpg
In summary, given all the trials and tribulations - especially with THAT plastic - a reasonable outcome if somewhat overdue for the Vietnam GB. Not my best work by any means but I am really pleased with the way the “commemorative” bomb came out. The “High Resolution” setting on work’s colour laser photocopier is the best I’ve come across so far.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

BigReg
JV 144 4 Star
JV 144 4 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Great save on the decal front. Love the Canberra. David

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Smart! Not the easiest of kits, even taking their 'short-run' nature into account and you produced a little beauty.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Looks great - congratulations!

Seems like a kit which fights you all the way...

Nice work on the home made decals and ordnance!

Mark

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

Lovely stuff Smeg. Very swish paint job and those bombs look the goods. Love the umbrella detail. Very nicely done.

Haven’t tried the Ozmods kit. I’ve quite a few Amodels and I think I’ll stick to that (for all its flaws) rereading your struggles.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Nice job! Congratulations on making it through, especially with such a challenging kit. The finish looks great and your decals are very inspiring.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Thanks, everyone, appreciate the kind words. In hindsight, the build was tougher than I thought it would be, but challenges and dealing with them are what the Group Builds are about. And I wouldn't necessarily be discouraged from attempting another OzMods' kit as I know Greg gave this strangely behaving plastic the flick in later kits. Still haven't purchased any Amodel kits to see how I fare with them.

Update 08/08/2018: I've replaced the original photos with ones taken after I installed my Uschi van der Rosten antenna "wire". Again, not the greatest photos because I am using my mobile and editing the pics as best I can using PhotoPad (incidentally, a very good "freebie" if you're ever looking for photo editors). However, whilst zoomed in during the editing process, I noticed a hairline crack that has appeared along the starboard wing root in the 48 hours between the two sets of photos. If it opens any further, I'll have to try and perform a little "invisible" surgery or risk the wing dropping off! The plastic that keeps on delivering ... :evil:

Update 09/08/2018: The starboard wing crack has not opened any further (as far as I can tell) and is currently almost imperceptible to the naked eye, so I'll let this sleeping dog lie. After all, there's bigger fish awaiting a good frying in the RAF GB.
OTB ...

Return to “Off the Shelf - Finished Entries”