REvell UV Super Glue !?

For other scale modelling topics that are not random musings covered by "Pull Up a Seat"

REvell UV Super Glue !?

Postby bluedonkey99 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 18:22

This promo came through from Revell today, interesting concept - anyone seen/used anything like this before??

https://www.revell.de/en/products/colors-accessories/gluten/fix-kit-uv-superglue-4g.html?utm_source=Mailingliste-EN-FR&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Revell+KW29+-+Superglue

Description
Apply. Light up. Firmly! The Revell FIX-kit UV Super Glue is so easy to use. Due to the special properties of the product, the parts can be easily placed before gluing. The adhesive effect only starts when the bonding area is illuminated with the enclosed UV lamp. After approx. 5 seconds, the parts are firmly bonded together. Revell FIX-kit UV Superkleber bonds various materials such as plastic, glass, ceramics or wood and is therefore extremely versatile.

- 4 gram
- Easy handling
- Hardens within a few seconds
Attachments
39625_en.jpg
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REvell UV Super Glue !?

Postby Tjeskow » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:40

My dentist uses the same trick for a tooth filling...... :shock:
Think Big, Act Small.....
Tjeskow
Flight #9
Flight #9

Postby F_IV » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34

Its quite handy, but bear in mind that it only cures if the UV light can reach it. Trying to bond two large flat surfaces for example only results in a bond around the outer edges. The glue is best used on transparencies, small surface objects and rigging.
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:23

Topically, ALDI Down Under currently have stocks of Dynagrip hobby glue. Made in the US and selling at $AUS6.99 for a 20-gram bottle, it comes in three flavours ...

Thin CA - Bonding time 1 to 5 seconds - Low viscosity liquid
Medium CA+ - Bonding time 7 to 10 seconds - Can be used for gap filling
Thick CA - Bonding time 30 to 40 seconds - Highest strength, best option for gap filling

As I'd run my bottle of Bob Smith almost dry, I bought the Thin and Thick types. Way cheaper per mL than any of the options at my local hobby shops. Only criticism is the large nozzle which, combined with a sizeable delivery hole, allows the thin stuff to literally pour out everywhere! :roll:

Addendum: It appears this was in the ALDI catalogue dated 3 July, so some stores may have exhausted their stocks. And, as we all know with ALDI, once sold out, you'll never see that product again in your lifetime.
OTB ...
Group Builds - P-36C Hawk (27th PS, USAAC)
Other - Ju87B-2 (102/2 ZO, Hungarian AF), Latécoère 298 (Aeronavale)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA Super Sabre (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 "Pulkzerstörer" (Prototype)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to Non-1/144 Scale Modelling Topics