Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

A history of Vac-form kits

For other scale modelling topics that are not random musings covered by "Pull Up a Seat"
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

A history of Vac-form kits

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Actually does have minor 144 references.

https://rareplanes.jimdofree.com/vacform-bygones/

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: A history of Vac-form kits

Post by smeg1959 »

Oddly doesn't mention that Aeroclub's range included several 1/144 kits.

Visiting some of the links did bring back memories. Shortly after I began working as a lab tech at the University of Melbourne in my late teens, I discovered a hobby shop and military bookshop close to Flinders Street railway station in the city. One - Hearns - is still going to the present day, but has sweet Fanny in 1/144. The bookshop was Hylands which moved a couple of times thereafter, sadly closing forever on 25 June last year. For a time, Hylands also sold a number of 1/72-scale vacforms. Couldn't wait to purchase the Martin B-10, Fairey Fulmar, Fokker G-1 Reaper kits from Rareplanes, and the Bf109Z Zwilling conversion from Airmodel. Sadly, my modelling skills weren't developed enough to make other than a rudimentary attempt at the 109Z, and all of these were sold prior to disappearing interstate to do post-grad study in the mid-1980's.

True, to date, I've only built the one vacform (which actually had injection-moulded wings anyway), the Welsh Models' Anson C19/T22. Despite all the persistent warnings from our good friend Merlin Jones, I did enjoy the challenge and would definitely build another as the sense of achievement is higher than I've found with most resin kits.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

BigReg
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star
Devon

Post by BigReg »

Being very old, I built many vac forms in 1/72 both from A model, Contrail and Rareplanes. Then Densil Wade introduced Welsh models and I built them all as they came out. Some are still in my display cabinets today. I used to meet Densil and Tricia at shows on a regular basis and the standing joke is my continued request for a Swift! I spoke to Densil last week for advice on vac forming canopies last week and he says the Swift will come as a resin model!
David

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Sign of the times. Seems like Welsh Models have concurred the halcyon days of vacform kits are over because of the exponential rise in resin kits. Of course, the one area of vacforming that is still on the rise is that of canopies, and this is primarily because there's no viable clear resin that can match the exceptional clarity and minimal thickness of a vacformed transparency.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

Return to “Non-1/144 Scale Modelling Topics”