Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Please, sir, can we have another Group Build?

Fabiolone
JV 144
JV 144
1/144 Interest: No
Italy

Re: Please, sir, can we have another Group Build?

Post by Fabiolone »

glehn wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 16:45
How about a natural metal theme? This could cover aircraft from any period and nation. Even airliners could fit in.
It sounds good!

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

It is a novel suggestion which would cover a wide time period. And remembering that GBs are a great medium for picking up tricks and tips, dealing with metallic finishes would be a great outcome. In keeping with this, I hark back to some proposals for earlier GBs, such as focusing on resin kits or even vacforms (if a comment like that doesn't attract the ire of a one-time regular, I don't know what will). I could take a leaf out of F_IV's book and suggest scratchbuilding but that might scare most members away. :lol:

Seeing nils' new avatar and recalling many of his recent builds, another "oldie" that is worth consideration is the "home grown" topic, where modellers construct anything related to the country they call home. Or, adding a little extra scope inspired by Jonathan's choice of flag, anywhere else that was significant to the individual at some stage in their life. Could also get some interesting insights into the dark pasts of some of our brethren!

Now watch someone come along and say that they've lived in 224 different countries since birth ... :roll:
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK), PZL.37 B II Łoś (Amercom)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - To Infinity and Beyond!

croato
Flight 10
Flight 10
Yugoslavia

Post by croato »

Finally at home with a new knee and almost ready to restart some projects ;)
A natural metal theme sounds very good to me; we have more than 80 years to cover ...
Though "aircrafts on the wrong side" could be interesting too, not so large place to play in but still nice build with much history to discover ...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

F_IV wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:06
Something to do with completing an ancient project or refinishing a completed one might be good too.
That reminds me about the Shelf of Shame thread - I'd quite forgotten about that. Effectively a GB in all but name. I'll open a thread on there now.

It sounds like a combination of year-long and several shorter GBs would work be best for people's differing preferences. I wonder if we do a poll like we did before?

The idea of a NMF GB terrifies me but it did get me opening up the box on a B-36... :)

Tim R-T-C
Flight #288
Flight #288

Post by Tim R-T-C »

Some cool suggestions coming up.

I wonder if two, parallel, full year builds might be an idea. People can then probably have time to enter both or make a few entries in one.

I like the idea of 1941 and Metallic finish, giving a specific year but open to any subject and a specific subject but a wide range of years.

(not 'bare' metal as some planes had metallic dope)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

ajmm wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:44
F_IV wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:06
Something to do with completing an ancient project or refinishing a completed one might be good too.
That reminds me about the Shelf of Shame thread - I'd quite forgotten about that. Effectively a GB in all but name. I'll open a thread on there now.

It sounds like a combination of year-long and several shorter GBs would work be best for people's differing preferences. I wonder if we do a poll like we did before?

The idea of a NMF GB terrifies me but it did get me opening up the box on a B-36... :)
Firstly, everyone should look at Angus's Dreadnought in the current GB and enquire why an NMF GB would terrify someone who can produce a beauty such as this (and recover so well from the Attack of the Killer Post-It Note). Secondly, I've just come from the SoS and welcomed you to my domain. As I said there, I have no less than six Shamers so would definitely put my hand up if that suggestion got a run.

Let's keep the dialogue flowing. When it is clear how many GBs should run and for how long, I will start a new thread calling for suitable topics (our usual modus operandi), upon which everyone can vote. And yes, I'll try and find that pollcode site that we've used in the past.
OTB ...

Tom's
JV 144
JV 144
France

Post by Tom's »

As far as I'm concerned, I prefer one year-long GB...
Concidering the subject, I've enough kits on the stach to participate to many ones... :mrgreen:
Anyway, here's some ideas I like :
One specific aircraft (P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Me.109... )
One specific mission (naval aircraft, reconnaissance, night fighter...)
One specific period / area (1941, Asian Air Power since 1975, ...)
Or a specific modelling challenge (natural metal finish, black/white...)
8-)

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Marshall Islands

Post by Jonathan »

I suggest the Platz c-46 kit. its a great kit for a great price, and a classic airframe.
finish it in any livery or setting you please. elephants allowed.
I have two of the earlier release.
Ive always like this photo, one ex-Navy in GSB, and one USAF bare metal
c46korea.jpg
but there so many other possibilities
He who can command himself
Is good to govern

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

2020 was not a good year for me and the 1940 GB provided me with little choice apart from a couple of Sweet hurricanes. As there were plenty of starters I decided to give it a miss. Motivation to build has not been a feature this year and continues to plague me. Could only just do the engine nacelles on the B-1B this am after an hours buggering around stripping the airbrush and loading some paint. The high humidity is not helping.

However, that said, I'm keeping tabs so see what the community decides.

Ian

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I feel your frustration, Ian. Given the manic nature of 2020, I am still pinching myself that I managed to complete 6 models during the GB, along with a couple of others started late in 2019. At various stages, I also experienced the "Airbrush Blues", even in the last couple of days when traces of the Vallejo Gloss Varnish failed to leave the confines of the device, requiring a complete disassembly and clean.

As for 2021, it's probably time to start the ball rolling on voting for a Group Build or two. Looking at the dialogue over the past couple of months, I am suggesting we start with two concurrent GBs, one (GB14) that goes for the whole year and a second (GB15) that will go for the first three months. At the end of the shorter one, we can hold another vote to elect a second 3-monther if that's OK with everybody.

Give me a little time to reacquaint myself with the Pollcode program and compile lists based upon everyone's suggestions.

UPDATE: Time to go to the polls! :P
OTB ...

Return to “Group Builds: General Discussion”