Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

The Vietnam War - General Discussion

Starting with the First Indochina War in December 1946 and escalating to the Second Indochina War in December 1955, the Vietnam conflict saw many dramatic developments in weaponry. Aircraft, helicopters, rockets and missiles, AFVs, marine vessels, even troops ... anything related to this conflict is fair game.
Runs from 29 July to 10 December 2017.
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Great Britain

Re: The Vietnam War - General Discussion

Post by MerlinJones »

"Deep Sigh"

Life...Don't talk to me about life!

:D
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
1/144 Interest: Yes
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

And me with a brain the size of a planet. ;)
ajmm wrote:Smeg I don't know if the Ozmods Canberra comes with Aussie Vietnam decals but if not (or if they are pants), I have some going spare from my AModel Canberra for a Vietnam-based RAAF aircraft which you're welcome to.
Many thanks, Angus. Will PM you with all my details (though you've probably still got them from your previous donation to my "finish the Finnish Do17Z" build).
OTB ...
GB14 - CAC CA-19 Boomerang (KdK)
GB15 - Grumman Martlet Mk III (Sweet)
Shelf of Shame - Don't ask!

Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Post by Mark_W »

Hi

I have a bunch of possible builds for the vn gb
- amodel b-57
- amodel f-4b sundowners
- bpk porter
- roden ac-47 spooky
- attack mig-17

Might even invest in some of the new platz f-4es - looks like a decent kit...

Should be fun - looking forward to it!

Mark

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

mbittner wrote:I have a Cafe Reo (I think) F-105G that all I did was pull the parts apart and a little seam work. Is that still viable for this group build?
I have to admit to pondering something similar IF I haven't parted with my F-Toys' F-100D (almost everything post-WW2 was sold off as I rationalised my collection due to space and monetary constraints). Assuming it's still somewhere in the stash, the specific model represents Major Don Schmenk's Hun from the Vietnam War. As some on the forum would know, apart from his exploits as a USAF and commercial pilot, Don is also a well-known aviation modeller who sells his own line of 1/144 resin kits. I have a few of these, including a Westland Whirlwind and a Beechcraft Staggerwing. The castings are very basic (think Airalex) but can certainly be turned into something really good.

In previous GBs, I and a couple of others have reworked and/or refinished gashapon to represent different machines from those issued by F-Toys, CafeReo, whomever. However, I'm not looking at finishing the Hun (if it is still in my possession) as anything other than Don's aircraft, which means filling seams, matching colours and touching up around joints. I have a couple of added tasks because the gashapon arrived with broken parts thanks to one of the postal services involved, but that's it. Looking at builds elsewhere, I think that the strict GB ruling would be "no", but hey, we're not the Model Police and it does get models out of boxes and onto shelves so my view is "Go for it".

My primary build will be the OzMods Canberra, so the Hun would be a "fill-in" anyway, depending on just how good the seams are and how well I match the colours. In the past, I've started with the touch-up approach in mind, only to have to do an entire repaint anyway.
OTB ...

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I've just noticed the timeframe set for this GB in the blurb is from 1955. When I suggested Vietnam initially I was intending to build a bunch of my French Indochina conflict aircraft, which are 1945-1954 vintage. Any objections if I join in with these still?

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by F_IV »

Definitely gets a thumbs up from me! Collectible and educational. :)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

At the risk of being accused of expanding the theme, I'd have no objections. To omit such subjects would be like omitting aircraft from the Battle of France from a WW2 GB. I'd always viewed the conflict as kicking off with the French misadventures.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

I've tweaked the blurb to make it all official. Anything from Dec '46 is now a goer.
OTB ...

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Geeze.... goes to show how out of it I have been. I didn't realise a GB was on until tonight. Can I play? I have a started C-47 in gunship configuration (opened the box and looked at the plastic and done the basic interior paint work) and this may be the motivation I need to pull my finger out and get on with something. It has got so bad lately that I had to clean the man cave, reorganise and resort the stash and do a cull of kits. Even had to buy a $55 bookcase to make things more orderly.

Oh, by the way, any traps, pitfalls or things I should know about the Roden kit in its assembly?

A good opportunity to do some more weathering experimentation. :D

Ian

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

I'd forgotten this had started! :oops:

Please play Ian. Although given that everyone else has not noticed this starting either shall we perhaps postpone the GB until September or so? Many seem to be away at this time of year. Im happy to just go for it, though a GB of two entries would be a little sad.

Roden kit is great. No issues that I found. The canopy needs some fairing in but really light work really. It's a great kit.

Return to “Group Build 7: The Vietnam War”