airfield control tower

Be it a tree, a bridge, a building or a nodding dog, this is the place!

Re: airfield control tower

Postby pbhawkin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:28

And for some money there is this very nice laser-cut one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HANGAR-air-s ... 1e73fe2312
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby Warbird Kid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 22:04

Ah yes I've seen these, and printed a few. But I think we'll be requiring an almost complete custom build for all four original buildings.
Warbird Kid
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby Jonathan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:05

hm. That does look interesting.
I have alot on my plate already of course, but Id like to know more.
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby b.l.stryker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18

pbhawkin wrote:And for some money there is this very nice laser-cut one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HANGAR-air-s ... 1e73fe2312

Look here. :roll: The price on ebay was overpriced. :mrgreen:

Björn
b.l.stryker
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby Falconbacker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 14:20

Hadn't read this thread till today. Awesome job on the Bucholz Airfield dio and thanks for the postings of all the other hanger/airfield pics.....saved them all for reference.....I myself have some pics of Sebring, Fl...Hendricks Army Airfield saved and you can see them and some other pics in my albums here:
http://public.fotki.com/Falconbacker/ot ... airfields/
Falconbacker
Flight #3
Flight #3

Postby Jonathan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 0:55

Thanks! And thanks for sharing your photos, pretty neat stuff!
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Bluefin » Tue May 14, 2013 2:53

That is so cool Jonathan. I'm new here, but this thread is one that really grabbed my attention. Nice work.

I remember a similar but smaller island airport just south of Kwajalein, and Tarawa below the equator called Kanton. That's where I was born to an Australian mother who was a stewardess for Quantas, and an American father who worked USAAF/ CAA/ FAA stationed there. I remember aircraft like the Connie, Skymasters, Stratocruisers etc. and other very large planes landing there.

Of course everything is big when you're little. Thanks for sharing, brings back fond memories.
Bluefin
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Jonathan » Wed May 15, 2013 20:34

Bluefin wrote:That is so cool Jonathan. I'm new here, but this thread is one that really grabbed my attention. Nice work.

I remember a similar but smaller island airport just south of Kwajalein, and Tarawa below the equator called Kanton. That's where I was born to an Australian mother who was a stewardess for Quantas, and an American father who worked USAAF/ CAA/ FAA stationed there. I remember aircraft like the Connie, Skymasters, Stratocruisers etc. and other very large planes landing there.

Of course everything is big when you're little. Thanks for sharing, brings back fond memories.

Oh hey Bluefin, thats very interesting, Im very glad to hear from you. The Kanton island story is fascinating, fancy being born there!

As it happens, I have been working on the Kwajalein model recently, so an update to this thread it on order.
To the south of the terminal were the aircraft maintenance shops. they could rebuild engines, replace tires, repair sheet metal and so on.
Ive started building the buildings and a couple more aircraft in progress, a Minicraft C-54 and a Welsh C-130.

attached is a fascinating period photo of the facility given to me recently by a follow Kwaj resident who was an aircraft mechanic there.
Attachments
kwajaleinrampbwhite800c.jpg
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Bluefin » Sun May 19, 2013 6:14

Cool Jonathan, looks nice. Interested in your progress. Keep us updated. The Kwajalein airfield is still active today I assume?

Trying to find pics of Kanton and it's airfield. It's abandoned by the "western" powers now, and given back to the Kiribati nation, just some local Gilbertise natives living there, but apparently aviation goes back prewar to the PanAm Clipper flying boats in the lagoon, and a USAAF base during WWII, to a civilian/ military airbase post war, and Nasa tracking station into the 60's and 70's. All rusting out there now.
Bluefin
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Jonathan » Sun May 19, 2013 6:45

yes, Star Wars missile development is ongoing. Kwajalein is still a busy US Military base, and the tower is still called Bucholz Field.
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

PreviousNext

Return to 1/144 Scenics, Accessories and Dioramas