My first diorama: Looking for inspiration/suggestions

Be it a tree, a bridge, a building or a nodding dog, this is the place!

My first diorama: Looking for inspiration/suggestions

Postby Triggerhappy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:11

Hello everybody,

I recently finished my second resin kit, Fox One's diminutive Natter (http://foxonemodel.fc2web.com/original/ ... al_12.html). The rocket interceptor comes with its own launch tower, which - to me - calls for a display on a ground plate of some kind. So I'm thinking of doing a small diorama including the plane, the launch rail, one or two vehicles and staff. Since I usually build aircraft, I haven't much to work with, neither experience nor material, but I think I can come up with enough items to populate a small scene. Now I'm looking for suggestions how best to display and combine the elements into an appropriate diorama. It doesn't have to be "realistic", since it's a what-if scenario anyway but it should at least look somewhat plausible.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- snowy scene (or would a green landscape be easier to make?)
- the Natter almost ready to launch, meaning already attached to the rail
- a second plane nearby (I don't have a second kit but I think I can create something that looks like a Natter covered by a canvas)
- a truck and/or car in the vicinity, not doing anything special, just to populate the area
- trees, foliage, grass
- some people standing around (again, they don't need to "do" much)
- maaaaybe some kind of small shed, but I'd rather not include any buildings

What else could I be including and how? A fuel truck or fuel drums? No idea if these were used for rocket fuel. Any kind of machinery or workshop equipment? Any more vehicles? An anti-aircraft gun? I don't want to make it look too busy, since this plane was supposed to be launched from more or less makeshift bases in the woods.
Triggerhappy
Flight #144
Flight #144

Re: My first diorama: Looking for inspiration/suggestions

Postby CGD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04

Interesting project. I always love the Natter.

My experience is a snowy scene is easier to do than a green landscape.
I have done similar dioramas so you might be able to avoid my mistakes and make a better one.
P1140146.JPG

P1140148.JPG

CGD
CGD
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby moresby » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:49

Natters never became operational: your diorama would be a 'what if' one (if you don't want to show the only manned test - a tragical failure if I recall correctly) and you won't find real photo documentation: you might use reference from V-2 launch sites.

Natter were point interceptors and didn't need a runway: the roving allied Jabos would have made an accurately camouflaged launch site mandatory, maybe in the middle of a forested area; the ramp would have had to be accessible to service equipment, though (a crane to lift and install the interceptor on its launch platform, fuel vehicles, etc). Also, it would have been surrounded by flak (as everything of military value in Germany in the last year of war).

Of course, light flak guns would have been placed around the launch sites but not too close (to avoid a single rocked salvo to knock out both flak and Natter) and would harldly show on a small or medium size 1/144 diorama.

So, I'd set the Natter in a forest clearing (just place a few trees on two or three sides of the base to suggest a heavily forested area all around), perhaps adding one or two vehicles (a fuel truck -see PanzerDepot- and a Kubelwagen) and some bystanders.
Last edited by moresby on Wed Jul 10, 2013 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
moresby
JV 144 1 Star
JV 144 1 Star

Postby Triggerhappy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17

CGD wrote:I have done similar dioramas so you might be able to avoid my mistakes and make a better one.

What mistake? This looks absolutely lovely! Pretty much exactly what I had in mind, thank you very much for showing this off!The flak emplacement is an interesting detail; I'll have a look at your shop.

moresby wrote:So, I'd set the Natter in a forest clearing (just place a few trees on two or three sides of the base to suggest a heavily forested area all around), perhaps adding one or two vehicles (a fuel truck -see PanzerDepot and a Kubelwagen) and some bystanders.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't think an extra crane would have been necessary to handle the plane; the launch tower looks like it has an integrated pulley system. I will go for the vehicles plus an aa gun and some people then.
Triggerhappy
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby CGD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50

Triggerhappy wrote:
What mistake? This looks absolutely lovely! Pretty much exactly what I had in mind, thank you very much for showing this off!The flak emplacement is an interesting detail; I'll have a look at your shop.

A lot of the details were custom made. So you might not get those from my shop, but adds to your challenge. 8-)

I believe I have made a summer version too but the photos probably destroyed together with my crashed hard drive. :x
CGD
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby bluedonkey99 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25

There was an excellent resource for Natters on http://www.germanluftwaffe.com/ but it has since been made private.

A good resource would be Ba-349_Natter_und_andere_deutsche_Kleinstraketenjaeger_[Waffen-Arsenal_118] which oddly appears some what controversially on the legitimate site
http://www.scribd.com/doc/97382457/118-Waffen-Arsenal-Natter-Bachem-Ba-349 which saves you looking for it on dubious download sites.
bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Triggerhappy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:44

Thank you for the links, Bluedonkey.

I've finished three vehicles for the diorama. A Kettenkrad from Trumpeter's Me 262 kit, a Kübelwagen by Arrowhead Miniatures (Wargames South) and an Opel Blitz. The last one is from Tactical Painting. They seem to have gone out of business, at least the website where I bought the thingy is closed. The model seems to be a bit too small when compared to the other two but I didn't measure it. This was the first time I painted vehicles. It was a lot of fun!

Here's some pics. I think I need to dust off the models before taking photos next time.

Triggerhappy
Flight #144
Flight #144

Return to 1/144 Scenics, Accessories and Dioramas