Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Stupid Ebay Prices

No Responsibility is taken for member-to-member transactions. The sharing of personal details should be taken off-line and NOT publicly posted for your own safety.
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Re: Stupid Ebay Prices

Post by smeg1959 »

I'd agree with Trumpeter.

I look at that Otaki F-101 advert and there's 27 bids leading up to the sale. It something all of us who ever tried to sell anything on evilBay dream of - a bidding war. I recall a fellow Aussie (from whom I bought several of my earliest gashapon way back when) auctioning a couple of the Sikorsky Sea Kings from the first F-Toys Heliborne series. Both were OOP "Secret Items" - USMC "Marine One" and the Apollo 11 recovery chopper. If my memory serves me, one went for $AUS705, the other for $AUS595. This was back at the time when you knew the eBay identity of those bidding and the two auctions ended up being two-horse-races, both with the same winner, a "collector" in the States.

Of course, as a seller, it is a lottery. You can be expecting "big bucks" on an item only to be left with a 99-cent sale because a single person bid. Swings and slides.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

smeg1959 wrote:I'd agree with Trumpeter.

I look at that Otaki F-101 advert and there's 27 bids leading up to the sale. It something all of us who ever tried to sell anything on evilBay dream of - a bidding war. I recall a fellow Aussie (from whom I bought several of my earliest gashapon way back when) auctioning a couple of the Sikorsky Sea Kings from the first F-Toys Heliborne series. Both were OOP "Secret Items" - USMC "Marine One" and the Apollo 11 recovery chopper. If my memory serves me, one went for $AUS705, the other for $AUS595. This was back at the time when you knew the eBay identity of those bidding and the two auctions ended up being two-horse-races, both with the same winner, a "collector" in the States.

Of course, as a seller, it is a lottery. You can be expecting "big bucks" on an item only to be left with a 99-cent sale because a single person bid. Swings and slides.
Ah, those were the days....
I remember that classic bidding war, and i even recall who it might have been (only the ebay name) - it was also when the ebay could throw up some interesting finds.. albeit often ending up hitting the wallet quite hard.
....though, we did have to sleep in the middle of the road and eat gravel ;-)

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by MerlinJones »

Gravel? Luxury...etc.

I know that it's wrong to mock the afflicted, but I can't help but feel reassured when I look at those professionally built models. Whilst accepting my delusional state, it's nice to be elevated from mediocre, fair-to-middlin' modeller, upto the lofty heights of Modelling God-dom! (I can also assume a Doctorate in the English Language, whilst I'm at it).
Of course, when I see the other modelling genii within these hallowed portals, I'm brought back to some form of reality, where I am resident in the cloakroom of the Halls of Olympus/Valhalla, taking coats.

EBay used to be great fun, back in the day and I enjoyed perfecting my sniping technique to a fine art. Got some great buys back then. Now, the best deals appear when presented by sellers who cannot spell and don't know where to sell their stuff.
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

mtcc75
JV 144
JV 144

Post by mtcc75 »

probably Trumpeter, though at the back of my mind - i have feeling there is another possibly older kit out there
OKB 144 did 2 versions many years ago , a challenging build by all accounts
103_4.jpg
106_3.jpg
Wonder what happened to the OKB144 guys , considering they had an old moulding machine run with a Mig23 undercarriage jack they did produce , for their day, some interesting models

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Here's an observation. We started this thread back mid-2015. I've just looked at many of the wonderful bargains listed over the time and most are still active. Either wishful thinking on the part of the vendor or, more probably, pure insanity.

The 40 S&M Viscounts through Hannants meal-deal remains. Still seems that no-one at Hannants has thought, "Bugger it! Let's open the boxes and flog 'em at 3 quid each." From the advert ...

Great for traders, E-Bayers, civil aircraft and Viscount enthusiasts. These were £14.99 each when first released but currently retail for £10.20. Buy these cartons and the retail price works out at £1.25 each!!!

Hannants are currently selling the individual kits at £8.33, but you get the drift. So "Viscount enthusiasts", where are you? If someone can provide their addresses and assurances that these individuals would pay 5 quid a kit, who knows ... :P
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Not a case of stupid prices but rather one of the stranger photos advertising models on evilBay. Who poses their 1/144 stash with the kitchen knives? :shock:
OTB ...

Wege
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Wege »

I think that would probably make sense.

Nice flat, tidy, white area... plenty of reflection.... and a great place to catch the bloody dripping from the sacrificial 1/144 god knives :P

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Post by Jonathan »

seller scored :mrgreen:
www.ebay.com/itm/331803163971
I never pay more than 20 for these, including shipping.
Once I got a lot of three kits for $40.

ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Nambia

Post by ajmm »

OK so it's from Amazon not Ebay, but I couldn't resist putting this here. I mean, I know it's the 'new' Minicraft tooling and everything, but I think you could almost buy a 1:1 scale one for this!
Amazon.JPG

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Just seen this. "Only 3 left in stock"? Think of the profit margin if you'd started with a dozen ... :twisted:
OTB ...

Return to “1/144 Wants, Swaps, Trades and eBay etc...”