Hurricane IID - "Flying Can Opener"

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018 … no extensions!

Hurricane IID - "Flying Can Opener"

Postby F_IV » Tue May 15, 2018 6:36

I'd better squeeze out a few photos of this before it becomes a done deal, which is looking increasingly likely over the last five days.

This is a conversion of one of the clear sprues of Sweet's Mk I Hurri which has been altered to represent the later long-nosed Mk II series. Originally it started out with me musing over the differences of the Mk I and II, rather similar to the way I began the Griffon Spitfire project described in a previous thread. Regarding the clear version of Sweet's finest as somewhat expendable and armed with a second glass of Barossa Valley red, I chopped the nose off for "a bit of a look" :?

The Mk II had a longer cowling to accommodate the latest version of the Merlin engine, so a cut line was made that would hopefully do the least damage to the surface detail on the fuselage. This runs diagonally from the middle of the centreline fuel tank, to the lower cowling just ahead of the leading edge of the wing root. A spacer of about 2mm was inserted and the nose glued back into place with careful reference to the drawings to make sure things lined up correctly. I also took the opportunity to thin down the cockpit walls and add the missing portion of the pilots back armour/headrest, as I hoped to do a canopy-open version if possible.

I also filled the gun bay paned lines with a milk moustache of Tamiya white putty that was thinned down with their lacquer thinners and applied with a brush. Love that stuff. 8-)

Things kind of slowed to a halt after that. The prospect of scratchbuilding the cannon seemed too much like hard work, and the project made way for some other builds. However, in the accordance with the rather haphazard and circuitous way that I tend to do things, I ended up muddling back around to the old Hurri again.

The next bit was the correction of the windscreen. Sweet's Hurricane has a few small errors. Chief among them is the width if the front facing glazed panel, which is much too wide at the bottom (strangely however, the fabric wing version has a revised version which is much more accurate). I didn't find this out until later though, and had to shave a portion of the windscreen of on both sides to get the right shape. While I was at it I scraped and sanded the insides so the glazing was as thin as I dared, and polished everything smooth.

I also made a latter style pair of fishtail exhausts in the same manner that I did for a Defiant last year and fitted these temporarily in place. The revised gun panels were scribed too and the upper wing bulges made from blobs of 5 minute epoxy. I did a bunch of these on a on stick surface, and chose the best two to transfer to the model. The landing lights were filled in, as these seem to have been uncommon on the IID. Perhaps the cannons blew the bulbs when they fired? The nav lights were still there though, so I turned the clear wings to my advantage by polishing the ends and masking them off.

Things pretty much went into high gear after that. The Mrs is away for 4 weeks and the kitchen table has become a factory. The cannons were made from two pieces each of 1mm sheet styrene that was dowelled together so I could separate them after carving. I shaped and sanded each one, then took them apart and put a piece of 0.1mm plastic between them, shaping it to represent the prominent flange which runs down the centre of each pod. It seemed the most efficient way.

I made some cannon barrels from evergreen plastic rod, but they were rubbish. In the end I switched to Albion alloys brass tube and got a much better result. That was a good day. 8-)

I also modified the kit radiator, which needs to be much deeper in the Mk II. I added some shims of styrene and angled it slightly so that it didn't taper so abruptly to the rear. Doing this with clear components as a perfect bastard, I don't mind telling you. :x

Which brings me to the weekend. I had both days off, which rarely happens. So I set to with a will!

I ordered some Gunze RAF Azure blue and it arrived in good time from a local hobbyist. This was lightened with off white and sprayed an a patchy manner over the undersides. I washed down the model and scrubbed as if for surgery before doing this, as I didn't want any paint lifting later. I'd need to use both lacquers and acrylics and I was very worried about paint lifting on me.

I was very much inspired by Cowleyi's recent P-40 build, so I tried a bit of preshading to the upper surfaces before I added the top coat of Middle stone. In retrospect I should have done more, but I was pretty hesitant being my first go.

The Mid-stone is Gunze lacquer thinned and lightened slightly. It went on pretty well and the careful prep was well worth it.

I still had a few hours of daylight up my sleeve, so I decided to go for broke and try to get the Dark Earth layer masked up and painted too. Various internet oracles seem to agree that the aqueous Hobby Color H72 is the best match out of the jar, so I went with that. I did add some white however to give things a more faded appearance and dashed out to the balcony to get a coat on in the last few minutes of the day. Sorry there's no photos of the masking. As it was I only just made it before I ran out of natural light...

Retreating back inside, I unmasked immediately (important) and started wondering about decals. These were cobbled together from the remains of an MYK Tempest sheet and went on really well. They are pretty bright though, so I had to figure out what to do about that.

Today I was blessed with another day of work, so I made the most of it. It will be a couple of weeks before I see another though...

I masked up the sliding portion of the canopy and painted this. Then did the spinner in Humbrol 60. The cannons were sprayed with a coat of clear metal primer, to which I added a few drops of black so I could see if I had reached everything. They then got a coat of grey-black as a base coat. The exhausts were painted gun metal and will be weathered later.

The big win of the day was the exhaust staining. I never tried his before and practiced on a spare Hurricane fuselage. It wasn't as hard as I expected and worked out rather well with paint that was very well thinned, a high air pressure and a small aperture setting on the airbrush.

Here's where it's at now. The airframe was sprayed with a coat of flat matt, with two drops of white added. Particular care was paid to the decals to try and age them and tone them down to match everything else. The walkways were masked and sprayed with tyre black and an overspray of dusty grey. Next up is prop blades, seat and undercarriage etc. Can't wait to give the panel lines a bit of a wash too. I'm very happy with how it has come along so far.

F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: Hurricane IID - "Flying Can Opener"

Postby pbhawkin » Tue May 15, 2018 6:47

That's a beauty for sure!
Regards
Peter
pbhawkin
Manufacturer
Manufacturer

Postby Mark_W » Tue May 15, 2018 7:15

Beautiful work F_IV!

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Postby ajmm » Tue May 15, 2018 7:17

Well I bet you’re happy. That’s the nicest hurricane I’ve seen in this scale ever.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Jonathan » Tue May 15, 2018 21:20

The jeweler at work!

amazing photography as well....
Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby BigReg » Wed May 16, 2018 7:12

Wow!
BigReg
JV 144
JV 144

Postby cowleyi » Wed May 16, 2018 8:38

Well, this is turning out pretty good. Love the scratch work. This is building into an excellent ship.

Don't be afraid to go harder with the pre shading. If your paint mix is good when you overcoat the pre shade you should be able to slowly build up the overcoat to a desired level of opacity till you are satisfied with how much pre shade comes through. Yes, it does take practice and I think it is harder to do at this scale compared to bigger scales but it tends to come up trumps under a good flat coat with some filtering. The challenge I had with the SEAC P-47 that I finished off today was not pre shading but post shading after the NMF went on - that's a whole different ballgame and worthy of its own thread.

Enjoying this.

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby F_IV » Wed May 16, 2018 14:03

Good advice! I'll definitely be giving it a go again in the next build.

I'm pretty happy with how this one is coming along. Almost unexpectedly so, as I wasn't really planning to build it. I think my habit of working as cleanly as possible slightly outweighs my natural clumsiness. Most of my modelling time is spent either wiping down, or crawling around under the desk, trying to find the thing that I've just dropped.

In good weather I often build with the windows open for all to see. The obsessive/compulsive guy in the apartment opposite admires the frequency with which I wash my hands. While the Islamic couple who live above him are deeply impressed by my piety, as I frequently drop to the floor with my head almost touching the carpet and begin wailing. :oops:
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Wed May 16, 2018 21:50

Oh geeze you're funny. :lol: I'm glad I'm out in my shipping container office 'shed' away from everyone so they don't hear the bad bad language when I routinely drop something.
Good that you will keep experimenting. 'Every kit an adventure'!
Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby smeg1959 » Wed May 16, 2018 23:38

Ah, life in an apartment, F_IV. With my recent personal circumstances, I've been living in one in Ringwood since Feb and my major fear is that a neighbouring apartment IS going to hear my airbrush compressor at 9.55pm and suggest to the rental agents that I be unmercifully evicted. Or my string of profanities when the Carpet Monster digested another tailwheel. So far, all quiet on that front.

Whilst my Hurricane I languishes in a Ferrero Roche case awaiting masking for the Dark Earth, you've rocketed past and almost completed this gorgeous hunk of Hurri II. And in one of my all-time fave schemes, too. :mrgreen:
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Hawker Tempest Mk V (Roland Beamont, 150 Wing)
Other - Junkers Ju87B-2 (102/2 Zuhanobombazo Osztaly, Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF