Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

F-Toys WWII Japanese Aircraft Quality

If you are not sure where to start posting, here would be a good place!
BigandClever
Rookie
Rookie

F-Toys WWII Japanese Aircraft Quality

Post by BigandClever »

What is the general F-Toys 144 aircraft quality like please? Some appear to be pre-assembled whilst others need putting together.
I have a few ordered and on their way from Hong Kong but i'm not sure what to expect. :?:
Thank you.
Big & Clever

Jonathan
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: F-Toys WWII Japanese Aircraft Quality

Post by Jonathan »

the small detail parts are generally on a sprue, like a conventional kit, but of course already painted, and these must be attached. you might need to snap the wing on to the fuselage, insert tailplanes, etc. In any case not alot of work to get it done.
The mold quality is as good as any kit maker out there, and far better than some.
The snap together fits are excellent but you can improve the look by welding the joints.
You usually have to apply most of the decals.

smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Australia

Post by smeg1959 »

Welcome Big & Clever!

Expect to be delighted! Your question was similar to mine when I first bought a couple of the Takara Famous Airplanes of the World releases in 2006. They hooked me into 1/144 scale modelling. You may suffer a similar fate! ;)

As Jonathan says, a fair number of the releases from F-Toys are as good as anything you'll find in the scale, with the aircraft in later series featuring quite acceptably detailed cockpits. For instance, the P-39Q Airacobra beats the pants off the Revell Micro-Wings kit, partially because the latter is a reissue of a model released way back in the 1980s! Generally, the prepainted finish on F-Toys' aircraft is well done, although you do get the occasional "blooper" where paint has run or is smudged. Whilst parts are designed to be snapped together, most of the members of this forum would opt to glue the parts, particularly things like undercarriage legs and the horizontal tailplanes. I find liquid CA (the watery version of "Super Glue") works fine here.

You'll see from the forum that a few of us repaint F-Toys' releases to represent other examples of the aircraft. You can strip the lacquer that F-Toys uses, but I find a coat of Tamiya or Mr Surfacer primer and the occasional bit of judicious sanding does the trick. And as "blank canvases", the models are pretty good, as you'll find looking through some of the photos at this forum. If you ignore common birds like the Zero (!!!) and Bf109E, you will also find that F-Toys have released some items that are the "only game in town", certainly from the point of view of injection-moulded models. Early series, now out of production, included the Heinkel He 219 Uhu, F-82 Twin Mustang, Macchi MC202 Folgore and Heinkel He 100. Because of this, these OOP series tend to command high prices though vendors and on evilBay. More recent series have included items like the Vought Kingfisher, Heinkel He162 and a number of modern jets not easily sourced elsewhere.
OTB ...
GB13 - Late 298 (Aeronavale), Bf109E-3a Strela (Bulgarian AF), ČKD LT vz.38 Praga (Slovakian Army)
Shelf of Shame - F-100D-20-NA (Don Schmenk, USAF), Me262A-1a/U4 (Prototype), Ju87B-2 (Hungarian AF)

moresby
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Italy

Post by moresby »

I agree the quality is quite high, especially the old Takara and the new Tomytech ones.

There may be something to do , however: I rarely snap-fit parts on plane models, and prefer to sand and file some part to get a better, almost seamless joining. Even the best assembled model may show too much junction lines once assembled. I use a bit of filler and have to retouch painting (especially on the undersides); this can be a problem on silver painted models, where you may need to go with masks and spray paint a larger area.

Also, keep in mind that the Japanese gentlemen designing these Gashaphon (and poor Chinese workers actually producing them) aren't immune to blunders: I've found

-Incorrect models (the F-Toys Stalin II with the polar bear decal should be a later model JS-2M); Macchi 205v by 'Ftoys keeps some details (spinner, tailwheel) from the Macchi 202...
-Badly painted moodels (the grey-nosed S-79 from Algernon needs repainting)
-missing parts and badly applied decals (this is rare, i'd say less than one-two cases in about a hundred): the small part sprues from a Tojo found in a F-Toys Typhoon and a badly positioned German cross on an F-Toys BF-109E trop.
Last edited by moresby on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:12, edited 3 times in total.

BigandClever
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigandClever »

Hi again and thank you for your thoughts and personal experiences of the F-Toys models.
I've gone ahead and after a lot of eay searching, have gathered a nice little collection of about 12 WWII Japaneses aircraft. I've always fancied the more unusual models with the rarer or less conventional paint jobs, and have done quite well with this so far.
None actually put together yet and some facing a repaint or custom job.
My next question is going to be how best to display them.
I'm currently looking at some small clear display boxes. What do other collectors do?
I'll probably repeat this question in a new thread.

Thanks again,
Dan
Big & Clever

Return to “1/144 General Discussion”