Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Takom Landkreuzer + Maus 1/144

If it relates to Terra Firma, wheeled, tracked or booted - man or machine on the land - it goes here!
cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
1/144 Interest: No
Australia

Takom Landkreuzer + Maus 1/144

Post by cowleyi »

Hello team,

For some unknown reason this has really got me in a froth of excitement. I confess...... I do build the odd 1/72 scale armour kit.... "sob" I am truly sorry..... But now I can build a 1/144 scale kit that will be x2 times the size of any 1/72 scale panzer or Sherman .... :o

I have 3 landkreutzers on the way from the land of the rising sun and all things being equal they will arrive next week. I will do an in box and a build review (that's the plan at least). The sprue shots make it look well engineered and should be a straight forward build process and then we can start the real fun of camo and weathering :mrgreen:

I must be a bit fevered as I realised that I have some 1/700 Bismarck 15inch brass gun barrels that should make a really good substitute for the 128mm secondary Landkreutzer armament and maus main armament (Ausf.B) of course. And I ordered some brass 1/700 scale 150mm barrels and some US 60 calibre 127mm barrels for AA guns as they will be a bit stronger than the plastic.
Happy modelling all

Ian

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Re: Takom Landkreuzer + Maus 1/144

Post by cowleyi »

Righto! The Landkreuzer arrived (Yay)! Lets start with the two Maus models,

The rear plate of the turrets needed a little sanding to get them to fit, probably due to my rubbish construction techniques. With a little work they are all together. The smaller 75mm gun barrel is a little small for its locating point so It's super glue to the rescue.

Tracks painted - sprayed with Tamiya rattle can light gunmetal and over sprayed with gunze mud and a wash with Agrax earthshade and the running gear brush painted with games workshop Karak stone.

The tracks of the landkreuzer have had a spray of light gunmetal out of the Tamiya rattle can.

We are on the way :D

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Some more progress pics of the Landkreuzer.... only a couple of little issues to deal with and that was mainly my fault. Only noted a couple of bits of flash on the running gear. Fit is really goo and positive. So far so good :D

Happy modelling stay tuned for more :o

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

Thanks for the update. I appreciate this sort of step-by-step build and am aware of the extra effort involved.
When you say that issues may be down to your good self, can you elaborate please, so that fellow meddlers can avoid your pratfalls?

Regards,
Bruce
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

As per Merlin's request, a short list of issues caused by yours truly. The Maus kits turret fit is not precise, the rear plate needs a little work to ensure it fits properly. my sanding was a little off so the result was a small gap between outer join and where it actually mates to the butt plate. A little filler and we are sweet. The bow plate of the turret has an oval surface that did not quite match the main turret as I wa a little keen to sand the surface to ensure the ultra thin glue ran properly. The running gear is in 3 main parts. Care is needed at there are three points of attachment and if you are a little lazy, one of these may end up slightly skewed on the vertical. This may then create problems when fitting the plastic tracks as it will very slightly increase the length and thus cause a poor fit or cause the tracks to not sit flat and thus cause torsion of the tracks and poor fit. The main turret generally went together well but once again a little too much sanding of the gun attachment points didn't help with fit. I really think this is down to rushing the build a little as I can't wait to get paint on.

MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star
Great Britain

Post by MerlinJones »

That's marvellous, honest and very, very helpful. It helps also, besides your honesty, that you've got good insight.
I make very similar 'issues'! ;)
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Hello all,
Well we are now at the point where construction is 99% completed with only the cosmetic stuff to do then it's on to the painting and weathering. I have been agonising over this for a long time. Anyway on with the show. The attaching of the running gear is (for me) fraught with danger despite the good engineering by Takom in order for you to get it right. As mentioned previously the slight torsion of the running gear came back to bite me and we found the last track piece would not fit and was of all things slightly skewed! Glad I haven't got an audio recording of the bad language :twisted: . So it was some dodgy cutting and shimming and it has been corrected. The advantage being is that the whole top of the tracks are well obscured by the skirts and is difficult to see. This leads to a tip - start with the top major track section as it is the basis of the rest of the tracks regarding fit. I worked my way from front to back and there are certainly enough track if you have problems. (think there are about 4 individual track links left over). The other set also turned up a little short but some shimming with a cut up spare track link did the trick and it is also hidden :D On with some pics....

I lashed out and bought some Master model after market metal gun barrels (1/700 german 105mm for the tertiary armament of the Bismarck) to replace the plastic ones as well as some longer 1/700 USN 127mm 60cal. This was a bit of guess work aas to the scale but it worked out fine. They are unbelievably cool and brilliantly engineered. They really add to the AAA turrets. Fitted the plastic ones to the turret and cut themn off. filled the gaps with filler and then drilled out with a very fine drill. To the top of the main turret fitted a gun director from the 1/700 scale trumpeter Bismarck and drilled a couple of holes and added said USN 5 inchers they look a bit like 100 calibre 20mm or 60 calibre 37's - that will keep those nasty Tempests Typhoons and Thunderbolts away 8-) The bow gun is a 15incher (metal also) but this will be fitted later.

Well that's all for now. The hull goes together perfectly, and the turret is primed and ready. I suppose I an do a what if paint scheme to go with the what if tank and I don't have to stick to the conventional dark yellow red brown olive green. Mind you, how the hell do you conceal a vehicle as big as a village :lol:
Happy Modelling all
Ian

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Hi Cowleyi

do you have the part numbers vis the Model masters Items, in order to assist our fellow modellers?

Cheers
BD99

cowleyi
JV144 2 Star
JV144 2 Star
Australia

Post by cowleyi »

Oh yes, I can do that. Bismarck 15 inchers Master model sea master series SM-700-001, the German 105's are SM-700-003 and the slightly longer US navy modern 5 inchers/127mm is SM-700-021.
Ian

bluedonkey99
Site Admin
Site Admin
1/144 Interest: Yes
Great Britain

Post by bluedonkey99 »

Thanks!

Return to “1/144 Armour & Land Forces”