Mark's Pit-Road Victor

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018 … no extensions!

Mark's Pit-Road Victor

Postby Mark_W » Fri May 11, 2018 22:51

Hi,

Had such a great experience with the Vulcan that I've now started on a Pit-Road Victor! Same company as GWH I think and boxings are available under both brands.
1.0 box-art.jpg

Here you see all parts laid out - looks to be a very nice kit in the box:
1.1 parts overall.JPG

Lovely surface detail - some might call it heavy but I reckon it will look good after several layers of primer and paint:
1.2 surface detail.JPG

The wings are again a complicated fit. The leading edges are in the upper wing half, meaning there's a awkward join along much of the lower surface of the wing. And as I found out later, an awkward join on the upper half as well:
1.3 wings.JPG

Engine intakes - another tricky aspect of the kit. Some ejector marks here for removal as well:
1.4 intakes.JPG

Undercarriage parts very well molded and look nice:
1.5 undercarriage.JPG

Decals look good - will be using these:
1.6 decals.JPG

I moved quickly onto assembly. Here you see the engine faces painted up - I doubt you will see much of these behind the long intake trunking!
2.1 engine faces.JPG

Intake trunking assembled and painted white. Some work required to get all the vanes looking good - one is split in the middle which makes for a tricky join:
2.2 intake trunking.JPG

Fit of the trunking to the wing - some gaps there.

You can also see I've put some plastic card where the exhaust nozzles fit. This is to allow them to be put in after assembly to make painting easier. The instructions have you fit them before gluing the wings together:
2.3 intake trunking.JPG

Very nice cockpit detail. I think this will be more visible than the Vulcan. Decals would be nice for the instrument panels, but I've added some detail using black pen.
2.4 cockpit.JPG

Most difficult part of the kit - getting the upper-lower wing fit right. I focused mainly on the lower surface, only to find there were also issues on the upper surface - watch for this if you're building this kit!
2.5 wing fit.JPG

Lower surface primed - here you can see where most of the fit issues were:
2.6 primed-lower.JPG

And upper surface. Some issues with the canopy fit and getting a nice join along the fuselage:
2.7 primed upper.JPG

Painted the undersurfaces white, then did a touch of masking:
2.8 underside masked.JPG

Used H335 for the upper surfaces, then masked the camo. Getting used to this routine!
2.9 upper masked.JPG

This one is progressing quite quickly - should be ready for decals soon. More fit issues than the Vulcan, but still a very nice kit!

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Re: Mark's Pit-Road Victor

Postby cowleyi » Fri May 11, 2018 23:50

Nice work!, having built this kit, I found the engine intake splitter plates to be problematic. couldn't get them to meet properly and then couldn't fill the gaps to a good standard due to lack of working room. Don't remember having any major issues with the wing fit, maybe after the trauma of the intakes wing fit was a minor inconvenience in my case.

Looking on with interest. :)

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby ajmm » Sat May 12, 2018 22:18

Fantastic and really useful to hear your pointers. I continue making notes. You’re chucking these out Mark. Very impressive.
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mark_W » Sat May 12, 2018 23:10

@Ian - must be my ham-fisted construction on the wings! Looking OK now, but I needed to sand a bit...

@AJMM - not working full time at the moment, so able to put in a bit more time than usual. Not sure how long this will last so making hay!

Here's the main camo reveal:
3.1 reveal-top.JPG

Detail on the undercarriage is again quite beautiful - might need to patch up the tires a bit. Acrylic doesn't stick well to the silver lacquer...
3.2 undercarriage.JPG
3.2 undercarriage.JPG

More updates soon!

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Postby F_IV » Sun May 13, 2018 0:30

Just beautiful. The Victor is my favourite of the V-bombers and you're really doing it justice. Can't wait to see it sitting with the Vulcan!
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Mon May 14, 2018 0:57

That is looking the goods Mark.

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby smeg1959 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03

Definitely looking like a worthy companion to your Vulcan, Mark. However, I am intrigued by your use of Tamiya tape on the top surface camo but a bottle-load of Maskol on the undersides. As I said in your Vulcan thread, I invariably end up approaching my masking the other way around - undersides tape, topsides Maskol.
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Hawker Tempest Mk V (Roland Beamont, 150 Wing)
Other - Junkers Ju87B-2 (102/2 Zuhanobombazo Osztaly, Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mark_W » Tue May 15, 2018 7:14

Hi,

Decals now applied and just about done.

Here's a photo with the Vulcan. Interesting that the Victor colours look a lot darker - due to the matt coat on the Vulcan I guess.
4.1 decalled-with vulcan.JPG

Thinking of keeping the Victor more glossy as a finish - what do you guys reckon?

@ Smeg - I find the maskol solution works better when I have lumpy surfaces or need to mask straight lines mainly. I apply thin strips of tape and fill in the gaps with maskol. You can mask fairly quickly this way without cutting a lot of tape...

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Postby F_IV » Tue May 15, 2018 8:12

I love it! What a pair. :D
I’d be tempted to keep the shiny finish too. Maybe spray a super thin coat of matt in the nooks and crannies for a graded finish?
F_IV
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Wed May 16, 2018 23:02

The Big V's ... what a great pair! :mrgreen:

Re: the finish, I'd stick with the sheen you already have. If you want to clear coat it (and I would to protect those decals), I'd go with semi-gloss. I reckon full gloss clear (well Tamiya's anyway) makes the end product too shiny and, IMHO, the model ends up looking a bit toy-like. The old scale effect.
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Hawker Tempest Mk V (Roland Beamont, 150 Wing)
Other - Junkers Ju87B-2 (102/2 Zuhanobombazo Osztaly, Hungarian AF)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Next

Return to Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF