Fujimi F-13A (AKA B-29) Tokyo Rose

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!

Fujimi F-13A (AKA B-29) Tokyo Rose

Postby Mark_W » Fri May 11, 2018 23:32

Hi,

Started work on this one as well - the Fujimi F-13A in the Tokyo Rose boxing. The F-13 was a reconnaissance version of the B-29 and I understand the Tokyo Rose was the first US aircraft to fly over Japan ahead of the B-29 raids.
1.0 box-art.jpg

I have fond memories of making the Airfix B-29 as a kid - complete with detailed bomb bay it seemed the ultimate in Airfix kits to me.

Just after I finished it, I put it on the top of a heater and one of the wings promptly melted! Sad. But will try not to make the same mistake twice!

Parts overall look nice. Lots of parts for the bomb bay and others for the tanker versions of the B-29:
1.1 parts overall.JPG

Looking closer at the engines - no engine detail inside the cowling!
1.2 kit-engines.JPG

Propellers look bad - the hubs are square and looks difficult to fix:
1.3 kit-props.JPG

Nothing suitable in the spares box, so Brengun to the rescue - picked up their B-29 cowlings and props:
1.8 brengun.JPG

Basic cockpit detail - might need enhancing under the big greenhouse:
1.4 cockpit.JPG

Bomb bay, cockpit and landing gear details. Very fragile so care will be needed removing from the sprues:
1.5 bomb-bay.JPG

Gun turrets look nice. These butt-join to the fuselage to facilitate versions where these have been deleted:
1.5 gun-turrets.JPG

You also get the atom bombs which they dropped on Japan:
1.6 atom bombs.JPG

The clear parts:
1.6 clear-parts.JPG

And decals - only a few and no stencils to apply. You get decals for Bocks Car, hence the atom bombs...
1.7 decals.JPG

Have decided to build Tokyo Rose and try to replicate the variations in NMF on the box art.

Even though this is a recon version, the bomb bay detail looks too good not to build! Though some modifications will be required to make it look good.

Mark
Last edited by Mark_W on Fri May 11, 2018 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Re: Fujimi F-13A (AKA B-29) Tokyo Rose

Postby Mark_W » Fri May 11, 2018 23:40

Hi,

Have started preparing parts. Pour stubs removed from Brengun cowlings. Took care not to inhale any resin dust:
2.1 engines sanded.JPG

Here's my mods for the bomb bay.

Made pressure bulkheads from plastic card. Tried to make a rounded appearance:
2.2 pressure-bulkheads.JPG

The wing attachment tabs intrude into the bomb bay - trimmed these down from fuselage insides...
2.3 trimming wing inserts.JPG

...trimmed the tabs on the wings...
2.5 trimming wings.JPG

... and removed ejector pins and other bits and pieces from the fuselage insides:
2.4 bomb-bay cleaned.JPG

Then I skinned the inside of the bomb bay with thin plastic card. Used super glue to attach these - a bit nerve wracking but makes sure the skin stays put and doesn't pucker like it would if using solvent adhesive.

Made a crawl way out of tube. In the process of making some oxygen cylinders which look like they would be visible.

Added structural details using tamiya masking tape for curves.

Here you see the new parts so far:
2.6 bomb bay parts.JPG

Next - priming and painting the interior details, then onto assembly...

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Postby ajmm » Sat May 12, 2018 8:50

Nice! Have built two of these and you were quite right to get the Brengun mods - I did for my second build and it’s much better than trying to correct those hubs.

Liliput Air Force do a canopy masking set for the Fujimi B-29 which is quite reasonable. Very prompt delivery and may save sanity if you’re concerned about all those little planes at the front end!

Look forward to seeing this one come together!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby cowleyi » Sat May 12, 2018 9:07

That is certainly looking good. I have one that has some paint on the interiors but not going to detail the bomb bays as the doors will be closed.

Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby Tom's » Sat May 12, 2018 9:40

Smart starting !

I take a seat to follow this !
Tom's
Flight #144
Flight #144

Postby F_IV » Sat May 12, 2018 9:47

Nice! I'll watch with interest. I've got one too along with the brengun accessories which I hope to display alongside my Japanese interceptors.
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby Mark_W » Sat May 12, 2018 23:25

Thanks guys!

@AJMM - thanks for the heads up - I just checked out Lilliput. Now I'm tempted to pick up some decals from them as well!

In two minds about the bomb bay main colour - NMF or green? NMF will make things more visible in the end, but not sure if this is accurate. What do you guys reckon?

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Postby F_IV » Sat May 12, 2018 23:34

Maybe a bit of both if this exhaustive restoration is anything to go by.

http://b-29restoration2.blogspot.com.au ... g-aft.html
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:04

Thought for a moment the photo was from one of your builds, F_IV! ;)

Will be following this thread with great interest, Mark. I've got a Minicraft B-29A in the stash (definitely not a recent release, just the Crown re-pop) which I've tossed up tweaking to create an RAAF Washington, or leaving as a Superfort and giving it the olive drab/neutral grey treatment. Mind you, this colour combo is very snazzy IMHO. Or any one of a number of these babies.

Not quite sure how the elderly Minicraft kit stacks up against its more recent Fujimi rival. Anyone?
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (prototype), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn), Spitfire PR Mk XIX (81 Sqn)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby Mark_W » Mon May 14, 2018 11:37

Thanks F_IV - very useful link!

Have now completed the bomb bay - some WIP photos:

Photos show some prominent orange cylinders - for oxygen I guess? They were hard work because they are so miniscule - look a bit like tiny minions when painted up!
3.1 oxygen cylinders.JPG

Painted up the bombs. Making the yellow nose circle was a bit tricky. Painted yellow, then masked off the whole nose using punched tape disks of 2mm. Painted olive drab then unmasked. Then painted the extreme nose using a 1mm brass tube dipped in olive drab paint. Worked well enough!
3.2 bombs.JPG

Tried making placards - used white tamiya masking tape for curves. Cut a thin strip then painted it black. Cut out individual placards and scratched them using a blade - sort of looks like black placards with some white text.
3.3 placards.JPG

Cockpit detail was pretty good straight from the box - just painted up what was there:
3.4 cockpit.JPG

Here you see the finished pressure bulkheads. Oxygen cylinders have been completed with some silver painted tamiya tape then attached.

Also a couple of spare "minions"...
3.5 bulkheads done.JPG

Here you see the bulk of the interior parts - definitely a kit in themselves!

The steel-coloured box is the main wing spar - will cover the wing tabs:
3.6 interior parts.JPG

Here you see the fuselage interior parts installed. Have also added a LOT of nose weight - hopefully I can avoid a tailsitter!

Took a lot of fiddling to get everything to close up nicely - the fujimi bulkhead needed trimming for a good fit.

I decided to only fit 11 of the 16 bombs - otherwise the interior detail will be too hard to see!

Added lightening holes in the green lower section of the bomb bay using a black pen.
3.7 parts installed.JPG

Fuselage is now closed - will have to think of a way to avoid dust settling in the bomb bay. Planning on boxing in the nose wheel well, and temporarily sealing all the bubble windows.
3.8 fuselage closed.JPG

Mark
Mark_W
JV 144
JV 144

Next

Return to 1/144 Aviation & Aircraft