Hurricane IID - "Flying Can Opener"

To celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Air Force, welcome to our first year-long Group Build. With the amalgamation of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service on 1 April 1918, the RAF is the oldest air force on the planet, so there is plenty of scope in the Build. Anything RAF-related goes … aircraft, vehicles, boats, personnel, you name it.
Runs from 1 January to 31 December 2018 … no extensions!

Re: Hurricane IID - "Flying Can Opener"

Postby F_IV » Thu May 17, 2018 11:55

Here's a wee bit more. I started getting a bit of shading going with artist oils and Pergamino .5mm white pencil lead.

In my haste over the weekend though, I soon ran into problems with the decking just behind the cockpit. I had developed a dose of what I like to call "toupée canopy syndrome". A quick test fit on the weekend of the previously moulded hood had me going; yeah-nah she'll be right, no worries mate, where's me paints an' that?? I pressed on regardless in the true spirit of one step forwards, two steps back.

Once the paint had dried and the fumes had settled, I tried the canopy once more and could see that it quite definitively stuck up in the air and wasn't settling down on the sliding rails like it should. Grrr bugger!

I could mould a new and taller hood to get around this, but it seemed like a lot of work. Or maybe I could add .25mm to the bottom of the existing hood to jack it up? A test of that idea gave a pretty convincing no.

I held the canopy in place and turned the model this way and that to see if I could "ignore" the unwanted feature and pretend I couldn't see it, but nope. There it was...

Arse.

In the end I got a teeny chisel and some scrapers out and pared down the rear deck just a fraction to allow the sliding hood to locate correctly. Here's a shot of the progress while this was being done.

After that I mixed a few drops of Mr color's Mild Retarder with the dregs of the dried paint that still remained in the mixing bowl from the weekend and brushed it over the area to make good on the repair. It slows down the drying time sufficiently to give a smooth result. With bush painting - you don't have to be retarded, but it certainly helps :)

A test fit this time showed me that I'll be able to give the hood just a light press and it will settle down into place. Phew!
Next up is the new prop blades. I've got one here, I... Ah feck. Dropped it! :oops:
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Thu May 17, 2018 23:00

That's looking so, so good. If my Desert Harvard looks half as good as this, I'll be well satisfied.

A test fit this time showed me that I'll be able to give the hood just a light press and it will settle down into place. Phew!

Just a word of warning. I had a similar issue with an open canopy. After a lot of stuffing around, I too had a press-fit item. Unfortunately, a week after completion, I found that the said canopy had obviously contracted and had ejected itself off the model and onto the floor! Fortunately, I didn't tread on it but I did need to stuff around some more to get the bloody thing to stay put.

Incidentally, having sounded out Ian regarding the Model Expo of the Long Weekend in June, will you be popping along? And, if you guys are reading this, same question to you, Mark, Roger, Peter and all our other Down Under brethren. ;)
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (sole prototype), Hawker Hurricane Mk I (1 Sqn RAF), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn RAF), Focke-Wulf Fw190A-3 (RAE Farnborough)
Shelf of Shame - Bell P-63C-5-BE (G/C3.6 Armee de l'Air)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby F_IV » Fri May 18, 2018 2:59

I know what you mean about the unscheduled departure of the canopy. The same thing happened to me before doing the surgery. Right in front of my eyes as I set it down to look at the thing. :shock:

I’m hoping two tiny blobs of superglue fore and aft will keep in in place and that I can apply the stuff without it going everywhere.

I won’t be getting to the show unfortunately. She-wolf will be well truly back by then and will have my days capped. Looking forward to hearing about the small scale delights though!
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:59

I'll definitely be there, particularly now I don't have any She-Wolf/Ursula the Sea Witch/Boadicea/etc. timing my arrival and departure. No doubt lots of OMGs and You're-Kiddings will be uttered, and lots of pics taken. Some may even get posted on the forum! ;)

Before I forget, what is your weapon of choice for masking? With my ever-growing number of semi-built items awaiting masking for the upper camo, I did entertain Mark W's idea of tape masks. However, as others have pointed out, works well for relatively uncomplicated surfaces like wings, a lot more tricky for curves and bumps in fuselages, particularly on little things like Hurricanes and Harvards. In the past, I've gone the hard edge approach and used Maskol, but whilst I've had no issues applying it over Lifecolor, I'm reading a few scary things about what it might do to Vallejo. So alternatives might include white (not blue) tack "sausages" and bits of Tamiya tape or card (all of which I have got) to fill the voids between, or possibly the new "bendy" Tamiya thin tape (which would necessitate a trip to Metro).
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (sole prototype), Hawker Hurricane Mk I (1 Sqn RAF), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn RAF), Focke-Wulf Fw190A-3 (RAE Farnborough)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Fri May 18, 2018 7:33

Yes I'm intrigued by that too. I've been inspired by Mark W to use cut masks on a Typhoon Ib (I'll post here soon) but have found it (perhaps needlessly) complex and fiddly on such a small thing. I think the rationale for big things still stands.

I haven't tried bluetac sausages (believe me my daughter would eat those in a flash - like everything else at ground level these days) but am intrigued to know if they work well for a feathered edge in this scale - I'm looking at my AFV corsairs and don't want to start these until I've nailed some sort of feathering technique with my airbrush...

What's your particular secret F_IV?
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby F_IV » Fri May 18, 2018 10:29

I don't know if I'm doing anything too outlandish. My masking tools of choice are just Tamiya tape and a fresh Swann Morton No.10a scalpel.

I've got a roll of 18mm tape, which I spread onto a piece of scrap plastic (not glass) and cut the camouflage pattern out before transferring it to the model. I use a fresh bit of tape for each section of cammo. If the mask is larger than the tape I overlap it clinker style.

Ideally I like to have a photocopied scale drawing with the camouflage at actual size. Then lay this over the tape and knife through to create the individual masks. With the Hurricane I had to draw the type A scheme onto the drawing first before cutting out. I never use the edge of the tape as-is if doing straight lines, and always cut straight lines with a steel rule and scalpel.

The wings are straightforward enough. On the fuselage I do left & right sides individually to save time and do the top bits where the two join out of seperate pieces of tape. Usually leftover bits scrounged from the other masking pieces. It greatly helps to emboss or pencil in key panel lines and wing edges etc onto the tape when cutting through the drawings. That way location onto the model is much easier.

When spraying I try to squirt the paint neither along the masking edge or into it. That way I don't get a raised demarcation between colours (or worse).

I also unmask as quickly as possible while the paint is still a bit soft. That way I avoid ragged and torn edges. I also pay a lot of attention to getting good coverage on wing tips, trailing edges and tail units. As I find these get a lot of handling during final assembly and can very easily be worn back to primer.

I reckon the real secret though when cutting is lead with the elbow. Don't manoeuvre from the wrist as you'll get short faceted segments rather than smooth curves. Also, don't lift the scalpel and reposition. Keep it in contact with the tape, even you have to halt to turn the knife before carrying on.
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby cowleyi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:11

Hello Gents, that is really interesting regarding masking. I have not been happy trying to get nice curves so have generally resorted to trusting my airbrushing will be tight enough - sometimes it works to my satisfaction sometimes not. Yeah, I am sorry I can't make it down as I realise I haven't been to expo since 2013, --- didn't think it was that long ago.
It is looking good (the hurri) - never smash moulded a canopy so I enjoy seeing how good it looks and rue my lack of adventure down this path.
Ian.
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby F_IV » Sun May 20, 2018 8:12

Well the canopy is on for better or worse. I'll have to pay more attention to that next time.

Today was pretty gloomy weather, so I couldn't get very good photos. I was able to repaint the undercarriage doors, having previously spayed them while blu tacked to a paintbrush handle. Then absently stirred a pot of paint with same. Luckily they didn't disintegrate, as I'd sanded them down until the doors were paper thin. This removed the two bulges on the outside of the doors, but I added new ones with small drops of 2-part epoxy glue.

The prop blades are an improvement too. The ones that Sweet provide are more like flippers so I scraped and thinned them down, then tweaked the shapes a bit with superglue and putty.

I bought a new 000 sable brush the other day and used this to paint a few highlights here and there with lightened colours of the base coat. The lacquers usually dry much too fast to allow this, but if you use raw retarder in place of thinners the paint floats on very well.

Nearly there. Next is the seat and harness, which I've never done before. Hope it goes according to plan. :?

Last edited by F_IV on Sun May 20, 2018 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
F_IV
JV 144 5 Star
JV 144 5 Star

Postby cowleyi » Sun May 20, 2018 8:29

Brilliant!
Ian
cowleyi
JV 144
JV 144

Postby smeg1959 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:58

Some really useful info. F_IV, I assume that you apply the tape to plastic rather than glass primarily to protect the knife blade and to reduce the possibility of slipping whilst cutting. When I read your approach to masking the fuselage, it made so much sense.

Now all I need is a decent knife blade and some scrap plastic!

Ian, I've tried the freehand airbrush approach myself but with my so-so manual dexterity and an el cheapo airbrush I was less than successful. Having said that, I have done a few smash moulded canopies and can assure you that they aren't that scary. After all, if you stuff up one, you just mould another. A bit of experience with vacforms helps but certainly isn't essential.

Of course, I may revise my views if I stuff up the 432 canopy ... stay tuned.
OTB ...
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

PreviousNext

Return to Group Build 8: Centenary of the RAF