AJMM's Supermarine 545 WIP

For the discussion of aviation and aircraft subjects. If it flies, it goes here!

AJMM's Supermarine 545 WIP

Postby ajmm » Tue Jun 19, 2018 22:31

A development of the Supermarine Swift. Aimed at touching or just breaking Mach 2 at one point, the design was quickly abandoned as delays mounted in the mid-1950s and other fresh designs looked to supersede this.

Quite a funny looking aircraft, I think. The first prototype was abandoned when 80% complete and taken to Cranfield as a ground instructional airframe.

This comes as a bonus kit to the Anigrand Belfast.

Very nice too, with lovely surface detail (honestly, the bonus kits with the Belfast are a joy - I'll post some build shots of the SAL Bulldog soon too).

Some light resin cleanup on mine with a seam on the underside to sort...

Assembly was quick. no real concerns - some filler needed around the tail and on the underside of the wings where they join the fuselage. I didn't realise initially how much dihedral there was on the tailplanes - had to reattach these.

The canopy is lovely and clear. I did that pencil trick with masking tape to make masks. I plan to use this to try and get a really good NMF. Plan to.

Airbrush required, regardless. The canopy needed a little filler around the edges but not much.

I sprayed it all with AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Aluminium, which worked as well as ever. Idiot proof, really, is what I should say. I'm sure I commit many cardinal sins with my cheap Chinese airbrush setup.

I have begun applying different shades to different panels, but very limited at this point. I've also decided to paint some access panels in a yellowish primer colour to give this a bit more visual interest. It was a half-built factory prototype after all...

More soon. Thanks for looking!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Re: AJMM's Supermarine 545 WIP

Postby BigReg » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:58

I have a soft spot for the Swift but the 545 showed just how much Supermarine 'lost the plot' post war. Too many prototypes and incremental changes. Even though part of Vickers it was too small to survive.
Having said that its a nice model and with Angus' s magic touch will look impressive on the shelf.
David
BigReg
Flight #288
Flight #288

Postby MerlinJones » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12

Ooooh...that's nice and a lovely NMF too.

(I'll just add to the repeated pleas for Anigrand to release their Bonus kits seperately).
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave: https://sites.google.com/site/themodellingmancave/home
MerlinJones
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby smeg1959 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13

Did the 545 ever get a run with the RAF, even during trials? I only ask in case it could become another ajmm entry in the current GB. And the AKI metal finish again looks the goods; clearly, you've consigned your bottle of Vallejo Metal Coat to the cylindical filing cabinet!

PS. Great photo of the 545 posed in front of a Tempest Mk II. Wonder whether we will see a conversion from an F-Toys' or, heaven help us, Revell Tempest Mk V during the RAF GB? :idea:
OTB ...
Group Build 8 - Vickers Type 432 (prototype), NA Harvard Mk II (74 OTU DAF), Spitfire LF Mk IXc (601 Sqn), Spitfire PR Mk XIX (81 Sqn)
smeg1959
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Postby ajmm » Fri Jul 13, 2018 21:26

Smeg! Sorry, I missed your post. No it never flew and as far as I know never even reached completion. I suppose I could have included it as I did the SR177 if I'd done it in RAF colours, but…well... I'm afraid I've finished it and I failed to WIP the rest of the build. I got a rare stretch in the man cave and motored on with this. I had been intermittently spraying panels different shades of aluminium and so on, which has worked, but I finished it off using AK Interactive True Metal, which worked very nicely.

Anigrand has you put roundels and fin flashes on but I can't see any evidence of those in any of the photos. I can't even see serials but I think they must have been on there at one point, probably. Anyway they add a morsel more visual interest.

I enjoyed picking out different panels in the primer colour. Worth doing I think. On a bigger creature I think the spraying individual panels is the way to go for a really good NMF, but I just lost patience (in all honesty).

I used the kit landing gear (fine, nothing special), but made thinner plasticard doors.

It does look like a cross between a Super Sabre and something Russian I think. Anyway - a quick build and one for the RAF Prototypes Shelf.

Thanks very much for looking!
ajmm
JV 144 6 Star
JV 144 6 Star

Return to 1/144 Aviation & Aircraft